> Campground Website Photos, CG WEBSITES with outdated photos
Meyer Camping
post Oct 4 2011, 07:40 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 31262

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Sep 28 2011, 11:54 PM) *

What I have see a few times and suspect that it will become more common as the technology evolves. The campground has a map showing the location of 5 or 6 webcams. You can rotate them yourself and get an idea of the campsites and amenities. They were located about 10 feet high and gave a great view of the area. You could work out the(e) various site numbers. I will never get tired of those pie eating contest though.

Lindsay, I am going to have to agree with kcmoedoe here and say that the possibility of someone using those webcams to watch campers is more than a little creepy. It certainly is not the intent of the campground, or at least I hope not blink.gif but the thought of some creepy stalker guy (or gal, I am equal opportunity) using the cameras is downright scary. In my mind, it completely outweighs the potential good.

--------------------
John, Lisa, Jessica & Brittany
Outback Sydney Edition 310BHS
2002 GMC Yukon XL SLT
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lindsay Richards
post Oct 4 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

The webcams I was talking about were not zoomed enough to spy on campers, but to look at the campground. I can't see anybody putting in something that would look at or even in campers. I love the concept of webcams to get a feel (no pun intended) for the area. So many of the photos on the campground website are handpicked and don't give an accurate view of things. I think some campgrounds are using security cameras and unfortunately we all get photographed many times during each day while in the city. How often do we see on TV a robbery in progress with the police asking for help catching some guy. Wal-Mart has many cameras in the ceiling and I think they are on a recording loop. Many of the Wal-Mart parking lots have signs saying surveillance cameras in use.

Put rv webcam into google or yahoo search engine to see some RV webcans. Do this during the daylight hours. Don't due it at night like me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
chowhound
post Oct 5 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41909

Between smart phones gps, webcams/security cams, wifi, credit card transactions, it is pretty hard to stay under the radar.

Remember, just because you're paraniod, it doesn't mean "they" aren't after you!
+Quote Post
edcornflake
post Apr 10 2012, 11:50 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 42869

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Oct 4 2011, 09:28 PM) *

Put rv webcam into google or yahoo search engine to see some RV webcans. Do this during the daylight hours. Don't due it at night like me.

Lin,
this is great. I never thought about doing this, but I tried it and the first one was 30 minutes outside Yellowstone: http://webcam.mtrv.com/ - I don't see any invasion of privacy on this, and there are some presets, gives you a nice view of the area (though not much INSDIDE the campground). Certainly an interesting use of technology. I see other's points on the potential for abuse, but this one is just cool.

Ed

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Apr 10 2012, 01:42 PM) *

Lin,
this is great. I never thought about doing this, but I tried it and the first one was 30 minutes outside Yellowstone: http://webcam.mtrv.com/ - I don't see any invasion of privacy on this, and there are some presets, gives you a nice view of the area (though not much INSDIDE the campground). Certainly an interesting use of technology. I see other's points on the potential for abuse, but this one is just cool.

Ed

BTW - I realize this is an older thread, but I took the redirect from Happy replying to rwberg's question about posting pictures. I would like the option to see current pics, perhaps in another discussion thread that could link to the various CGs? That would alleviate the bandwidth concerns because you'd only go looking for pics if you were in a place where they were not burdensome.
+Quote Post
JCZ
post Jun 1 2013, 09:20 AM
Post #20

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 76163

We're relatively new to RVing (our first year) and so we're also new to this web site. I've done a few reviews on here. But I'm a much better photographer than I am a writer and being new to RVing, I don't have much experience to compare to. So, in my mind they've all been nice parks. Photos would help so much.

We've traveled the North American continent on our touring Harleys before we got the new truck and 5th wheel and I've done many, many reviews on another trip advisor review web site and I've included many photos with those reviews. I continue to also do RV park reviews over there after I post here, just so I can include photos.

I sent a message to the powers that be, of this web site suggesting that they start hosting photos here, too. We would know when the photos were taken based on when the stay at the RV park was.

I'd even pay a few bucks a year for membership here (to help offset the costs of having enough band width to host photos) if they'd allow photos.

A photo really does speak a tousand words....
+Quote Post
docj
post Jun 1 2013, 11:23 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

I have to take the opposite position relative to pictures since most campgrounds have websites with photos and yours aren't going to provide me much additional insight unless they show something incredibly bad which probably would have been adequately described in your review. I, too, am a heavy contributor to TripAdvisor but rarely upload photos unless I am reviewing an attraction that doesn't have a good website of its own and lacks photos already posted to the review site.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post
KFS
post Aug 2 2013, 03:39 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 81442

I would love to be able to provide photos. I use TripAdvisor and traveler photos are a big help in clarifying what pro web shots provide.
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Aug 2 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

With no offense to you personally, how would readers know if the posted pictures were any more accurate than the ones on the website?
+Quote Post
KFS
post Aug 2 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 81442

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Aug 2 2013, 04:11 PM) *

With no offense to you personally, how would readers know if the posted pictures were any more accurate than the ones on the website?

None taken!

Accuracy is no more guaranteed by word than by photograph so concerns about photo inaccuracies are puzzling. I suppose someone might "plant" a problem in a photo or create one via photo editing (?) but the same could be said of a written review.

One example would be a location we recently visited. Visually stunning on the website - and also in my photo (it's a beautiful pool). Otherwise, however, the park is looking shabby and the photos I took of badly rusted doorway, torn carpeting and mildew climbing the walls would be of interest to ME if I were a fellow traveler. A photo of "dirty" and "maintenance required" says far more than a reader trying to ascertain what my standards might be. One persons "filth" is another's tiny speck of lint on a rug. My photo has geo tags that prove location (if that were in question).

Photos may not always be used negatively. I have been pleased to share photos of gorgeous rooms, grounds and similar that have been rated helpful for assuring others that - at least at time I traveled - the properties continued to "match" the representation provided by professional / Web photos.

We are a society of social media addicts who Instagram every meal as if we don't know what a hamburger looks like. Visual media is a powerful tool.

I understand it can be daunting to host images, however. It's easy to say and likely harder to do.
+Quote Post
Jann Swaim
post Aug 8 2013, 01:59 PM
Post #25

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 74791

Agree, Google is your best bet.....there is a website called campgroundphotos.com. The site is an independent company that takes pictures of each site in a campground, however the campgrounds are limited.
+Quote Post
a.d
post Aug 12 2013, 03:30 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 55860

It is called advertisement. You can make all the Excuses you want,it still doesn't make it write.People are getting wise these days and getting tired of the deception. It used to be called false advertisement! If the camp ground or R.V. park is not living up to what they advertise, Don't go back and write it up and put it in the park reviews. That is also called advertisement.

ad
+Quote Post
John S.
post Aug 15 2013, 06:25 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 207

I always look at google earth and find the campground. IT shows me the lay out and how tight they are and after you have been to a few it becomes easier to see what is going on.

--------------------
John S.
2001 Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree
Jeep Wrangler Toad
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com