3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Myrtle Beach, SC
bella4ever
post Jun 4 2010, 12:18 PM
Post #31

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 43795

Plan on camping for a week in September at Myrtle Beach, SC. Trying to decide where to go. We have 2 boys (9 & 13) and was thinking of Pirateland because it looks like they would have fun there and its right on the beach. Also thinking of Apache because of the pier. We all love to fish off the pier, but am worried it is not as nice as Pirateland and not as much for the boys to do. If we don't stay at Apache, I would like a nice campground that is close to a good fishing pier. Any input or comments would REALLY help...thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
edcornflake
post Jun 4 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 42869

QUOTE(bella4ever @ Jun 4 2010, 02:18 PM) *

Plan on camping for a week in September at Myrtle Beach, SC.

I have no experience with Apache, and haven't camped in Pirateland since about 1990. I've been back to Pirateland though to visit and they have some nice ameneties. I'd also recommend looking into Ocean Lakes - it's down the road from Pirateland. There is no fishing pier, though there is a pier about a mile down the beach, not a terrible walk, just not IN the campground. Ocean Lakes also has house rentals (that's where we've been staying for about 8 years now, plan on camping there next spring). Ocan Lakes has nice pull throughs and reasonably wide roads. The one time we did camp there (when I bought my fifth wheel) they worked with me to find a slot I could easily get in and out of as a rookie driver. The staff is always friendly/helpful. The snack bar serves a decent barbecue pork sandwich, and the pool is nice when you've had enough salt water. Wherever you stay, you'll have a good time. smile.gif
+Quote Post
rvmamabel
post Jun 8 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38662

Hi, we stayed at Lakewood in April and it was clean, professionally staffed, family oriented, and they enforced their own rules about golf carts, yappy dogs, and late hours. The pool was very crowded, and I agree, in the summer, stay farther away from the beach to avoid the traffic. We did drive through PirateLand and Ocean Lakes. We found the first one to be markedly run down. It had a completely different feel to it: seemed to attract a whole different type of 'camper' that more enjoyed partying, loud music, and crude/vocal behavior (sorry to sound classist here..but didn't seem like a very cultivated lot). Ocean Lakes seemed more upscale, for lack of a better word, but not much different than Lakewood except for fewer trees, more golf carts, and a busier feel. Good luck with your decision. I've appreciated reading everyone's posts to plan my trip next April!
+Quote Post
lauriefla
post Jul 3 2010, 01:05 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 45421

One of my favorite camping places is Myrtle Beach State Park.

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-fin...e-park/795.aspx

There are more 'natural' programs for kids, seining in the ocean, learning about snakes and other wildlife. The pier is good for fishing, even just people watching and learning about the fish and the traditions of the area. Dogs are allowed on the beach in the evening. If I lived closer, I would visit here as often as I possibly could.

The only drawback was that the gate is locked at night.. I am not sure if this is still the case or not. You could leave in an emergency, but had to be in before midnight.

This park does get INSANELY busy for holiday weekends... But it sure smells good with all the BBQ!!

This park is one of my all time favorite places to camp. wub.gif
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Jul 3 2010, 07:17 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14080

My parents live at Apache. There is a small playground, a small pool, a store with some games and the pier. However I believe they charge you every time you go on the pier (that may have changed since I was there last). I like it there but, in all honesty, your kids will find more to do at other parks. You can still go fish at Apache but there is a fee for going in the park but I think you get it back if you purchase something. The wifi there is not free. For someone with kids I would recommend staying elsewhere.
+Quote Post
dog bone
post Jul 3 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 250

We stayed at Lakewood also, but a few years back. We went Easter week, it wasn't that crowded. We took a site right across from the beach. We wanted to see the ocean and not be behind a sand dune. We had a great time there. Rented a golf cart and checked the place out.
We drove through the other campground mentioned. I would like to try Myrtle Beach Travel Park, Ocean Waves and the state park in that order. When and if we get back that way.
There is a Coast to Coast resort on the river, but the name escapes me now. It is pretty close to all the attractions, The mall, theater and the Nascar Cafe. I'll post this then look it up and add the name later.
The name is Briarcliff.

--------------------
Bob and Deb Allwood
Diesel, the black lab
2003 ford f 350 6.0 crew cab
2003 cedar creek 30' rlbs
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Jul 3 2010, 03:11 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14080

Briarcliff is not a place I would stay myself. A friend stayed there and they had a "we are better than you" attitude. I told about my friend before where they insisted on backing his camper into the space, hit a post and then made my friend pay for it. He liked the campground but felt people were stuffy and didn't like having kids around.
+Quote Post
John Blue
post Jul 3 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 214

We use Briarcliff RV Park every time we go up to North Myrtle Beach in spring and fall only. We have looked at lots of oceans around the world and see little different in any. Briarcliff is a 55 plus park to me but you may have some kids around and that is OK. On the beach you have sand to track in, very close lived, tons of people, no shade and salt damage to everything in motorhome. Briarcliff is a clean place with full hookups plus nice trees. No one has every said I will back your motorhome into the site and had that been the case we would drive out of the park. In all our years in this park I have never saw this happen yet. Park is nice and we found the people in park to be OK as well. Number of people live here full time but it is hard to tell who is who. Park and sites are well cared for.

--------------------
John
Brandon, Fl.
FMCA F-248693
Foretravel MH
Honda CRV tow
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com