RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Water Softeners., Good, bad or indifferent?
gwbischoff
post Jun 28 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13685

I live in CA and am considering buying a water softener for our RV. Trying to keep the hard water spots off of everything inside and hope that it will keep mineral deposits from forming in the plumbing.

Does anybody have any experience with them? The units that I've seen seem kinda' bulky.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Meanderman
post Jun 29 2007, 10:55 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9128

We have an "on the go" water softener and wouldn't be without it. It's small, uses one container of table salt ($.33 at Wal-Mart), and lasts for about 300 gallons, although if the water quality is good, much longer. Besides the taste/soap issue, it prolongs plumbing and appliance life. I recently flushed the water heater after one year's use; before the softener I would see a lot of scale and discoloration, this time no scale and very little discoloration. At less than $300, it's a good investment. By the way, a couple of months ago in Southern Cal (San Onofre), the water tested bright orange on the test strip (very, very hard); after plugging in the softener it returned to green (soft). Southern Cal has terrible water!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com