RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Water Softeners., Good, bad or indifferent?
gwbischoff
post Jun 28 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13685

I live in CA and am considering buying a water softener for our RV. Trying to keep the hard water spots off of everything inside and hope that it will keep mineral deposits from forming in the plumbing.

Does anybody have any experience with them? The units that I've seen seem kinda' bulky.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
gwbischoff
post Sep 11 2007, 02:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

After having used mine a few times over the past few months, I have mixed emotions.

It does what it advertises to do. But,I only use it if I'm going to be in one spot for a few days. It's kinda' bulky to hook it up for an overnight stay.

The down side is that it does take away a decent amount of water pressure (as I would guess anything else that you hooked up in line). I used the shower on the last day of our trip without the softener hooked up and there was a noticeble difference in the water pressure.

Hadn't thought about the washing aspect. Thanks for that bit of advice.

You said you only needed to recharge yours once or twice a year. How often do you use yours?

We're a family of 4 and run the showers frequently.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
+Quote Post
Ed. C.
post Sep 22 2007, 11:22 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 16598

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Sep 11 2007, 03:41 PM) *

After having used mine a few times over the past few months, I have mixed emotions.

It does what it advertises to do. But,I only use it if I'm going to be in one spot for a few days. It's kinda' bulky to hook it up for an overnight stay.

The down side is that it does take away a decent amount of water pressure (as I would guess anything else that you hooked up in line). I used the shower on the last day of our trip without the softener hooked up and there was a noticeble difference in the water pressure.

You said you only needed to recharge yours once or twice a year. How often do you use yours?

We hook our up even for overnights. There is just my wife and I and we are weekend campers, one or two showers a day when camping. . We probably camp 30-50 nights a year plus a couple of trailer and truck washings. I recharged it in March and again last weekend.
+Quote Post
gwbischoff
post Sep 24 2007, 01:50 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ed. C. @ Sep 23 2007, 12:22 AM) *

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Sep 11 2007, 03:41 PM) *

We hook our up even for overnights. There is just my wife and I and we are weekend campers, one or two showers a day when camping. . We probably camp 30-50 nights a year plus a couple of trailer and truck washings. I recharged it in March and again last weekend.

I've just used ours on two two-week trips with a month off in betweeen and I'm wondering when I might need to recharge it. Now there's twice as many of us than there are of you.

What about during storage? I would think that any water that would be in the unit (even if yo drain it well) would dissolve some of the salt inside, no?

--------------------
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com