RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rv Vacation In May 2008, Advice on travel
britboy
post Dec 12 2007, 04:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11720

We had our first RV trip last March we're hooked. After a slow start getting used to driving the RV we had a fantastic holiday. I'm planning a trip next May leaving from Denver and heading up through the Rocky Mountain NP, Custer State Park, Bighorn Canyon and Yellowstone. Then south through Utah to Moab, Mesa Verde and Durango before returning to Denver. I'd like to know what Yellowstone will be like in late May. I've heard it can get pretty busy. Should I book a campground in advance or just turn up? Also, we've planned an 18 day vacation and don't mind a couple of days of hard driving. Is it realistic to think we can include Glacier NP in the trip?

Thanks in advance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jerry S
post Dec 12 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10441

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but Rocky Mtn., Yellowstone, and especially Glacier National Parks are really iffy in May. For example, Going to-the-Sun Road in Glacier often does not open until June and Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mtn. and parts of the figure 8 road in Yellowstone may still be closed until late May. Please check the websites for all three as to what roads will be open (subject to weather) and what facilities are open in May. Many RV parks around those three NPs are just beginning to open in May.

If nothing else, I would reverse the order of your itinerary - Durango and Moab first, then head north, etc. I would not add Glacier to your trip. In addition to the fact that most of the park will not be accessible that early, you are talking about a minimum of 3 days from YNP to GNP and back. That's about 900+ miles and, depending on your route, much of it not Interstate.
It is not like crossing the 450 miles of Nebraska on I-80 - you're not not going to do it in 8 hours.

Do your research and good luck.
+Quote Post
britboy
post Dec 13 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11720

Thanks smile.gif - Think I'll rebook my flights to arrive after Memorial Day weekend and head south first. I thought Glacier was a 'park too far' but was hoping the two of us would be able to make it. By the time we hit Yellowstone and the Rockies it should be early June. Distances in the US are a little different to those in a country where you can drive from one end to another in twelve hours.

Thanks for the advice.
+Quote Post
Jerry S
post Dec 13 2007, 09:47 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10441

QUOTE(britboy @ Dec 13 2007, 05:49 PM) *

Thanks smile.gif - Think I'll rebook my flights to arrive after Memorial Day weekend and head south first. I thought Glacier was a 'park too far' but was hoping the two of us would be able to make it. By the time we hit Yellowstone and the Rockies it should be early June. Distances in the US are a little different to those in a country where you can drive from one end to another in twelve hours.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Britboy,

Sorry, I should have have checked the member info at the side of your post to see that you are actually living in the UK. In spite of your moniker, I thought that maybe you were just a Brit transplanted to Denver. Among other things, I'd guess my reference to crossing Nebraska wasn't very helpful. Since most U.S. kids are still in school until at least early June, you should avoid the real crowds by touring the last week of May through mid-June. I am glad that you are reconsidering including Glacier in your plans. Even without Glacier in the mix, most of the areas mentioned in your original post deserve at least 2 days to see just the basics. Then there are the 5-7 days you will spend just driving (through some beautiful scenery) from place to place on your route. I see over 2000 miles going from Denver to Durango, Moab, YNP, Custer, RMNP, and back to Denver.

By the way, I have been to most of these places several times over the years and some as recently as last year. Another thing you may or may not realize is that at this time of year you can go from 100F (30+C) during the day someplace like Moab to 35F (2C) at night in Yellowstone.

You may want to give other members on this site a little more time to make other suggestions.
Again, good luck.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
britboy   Rv Vacation In May 2008   Dec 12 2007, 04:03 PM
DXSMac   We had our first RV trip last March we're hoo...   Dec 12 2007, 07:13 PM
Jerry S.   I don't mean to burst your bubble, but Rocky M...   Dec 12 2007, 08:25 PM
britboy   Thanks :) - Think I'll rebook my flights to ...   Dec 13 2007, 04:49 PM
Jerry S.   Thanks :) - Think I'll rebook my flights to...   Dec 13 2007, 09:47 PM
Texasrvers   We were in Yellowstone in mid June about 10 years ...   Dec 13 2007, 10:02 PM
mastercraft   Britboy, We just spent 4 weeks in some of the same...   Dec 15 2007, 02:51 PM
Jerry S.   Mastercraft, I would agree your criticisms of Bri...   Dec 15 2007, 05:54 PM
britboy   Thanks to everyone for the replies, it's given...   Dec 16 2007, 12:49 PM
mastercraft   Jerry S, I was only commenting on the fact he had ...   Dec 16 2007, 02:04 PM
britboy   Europe is very small in comparison to the US. I li...   Dec 16 2007, 04:32 PM
mastercraft   Our kids liked bike riding around yellowstone, som...   Dec 16 2007, 05:12 PM
RLM   Britboy> 1- You go to France for beer and win...   Dec 17 2007, 10:00 AM
britboy   Mastercraft - If the nieces are coming along then ...   Dec 17 2007, 10:16 AM
RLM   RLM - As you've probably noticed Europe is...   Dec 24 2007, 11:28 AM
Jerry S.   RLM - As you've probably noticed Europe i...   Dec 24 2007, 12:57 PM
pianotuna   Hi Britboy, Time for an electric (bev) car? That ...   Dec 17 2007, 11:17 AM
Texasrvers   Isn't there a section of the country considere...   Dec 24 2007, 01:01 PM
Jerry S.   Isn't there a section of the country consider...   Dec 24 2007, 03:24 PM
Texasrvers   Jerry, Oh gosh, no need to apologize, but this is...   Dec 24 2007, 03:43 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com