RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's Your Annual Rv Usage/mileage?
RV Usage/Mileage
How many days do you use your RV per year?
30 days or less. [ 67 ] ** [22.48%]
31-60 days. [ 80 ] ** [26.85%]
61-100 days. [ 52 ] ** [17.45%]
101-200 days. [ 35 ] ** [11.74%]
Over 200 days. [ 64 ] ** [21.48%]
How many miles per year do you drive your RV?
Under 5,000 miles. [ 112 ] ** [37.58%]
5001-10,000 miles. [ 120 ] ** [40.27%]
10,001-15,000 miles. [ 44 ] ** [14.77%]
15,001-20,000 miles. [ 16 ] ** [5.37%]
Over 20,000 miles. [ 6 ] ** [2.01%]
Have you reduce your annual usage and/or mileage due to rising fuel prices?
Yes. [ 87 ] ** [29.19%]
No. [ 203 ] ** [68.12%]
Changes due to other than fuel costs. [ 8 ] ** [2.68%]
Total Votes: 894
Guests cannot vote 
Fitzjohnfan
post Apr 9 2013, 11:48 PM
Post #91

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41655

Jerry, to comment on you last message about gas prices, we recently took a week+ trip to CA from home state of CO. We encountered reasonable prices, anywhere from $3.45-3.65 in most states, but got sticker shock in CA at $4.15. I was proud we put over 3500 miles on our old '89 Southwind, with only a couple of minor problems.

We usually total about 5K miles per year.

Hope you feel better soon, and can get back on the road soon!

--------------------
Chris G.
FMCA: F3508-S
1989 32' Southwind MH
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Apr 10 2013, 04:15 PM
Post #92

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

I'm going to make you guys cry. We just saw $3.23 here in south Texas. The problem is that sounds great. But it is not when you consider how much lower it used to be and should be!
+Quote Post
Jerry S
post May 4 2013, 08:47 PM
Post #93

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10441

We are finally on the brink of our travel season. We head south tomorrow for our usual spring trip to MS and LA. The gas prices here in Chicago are still unbelievable. A local news show a few days ago said we have the highest city prices in the lower 48. They are still well over $4 everywhere locally and I even saw a station today whose lowest priced gas was $4.57/gallon. Considering the amount of gas I used over the winter keeping the batteries and generator up, I am hoping to get a couple hundred miles south of here before I have to get gas. I'm certainly looking forward to relatively cheaper gas during this trip.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Onemoretrail
post May 17 2013, 07:00 PM
Post #94

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6876

Gas prices just went up over 10% this past week in many places in BC. Just another ripoff from our friendly oil companies. I noticed that just south of the border in Washington state the rise wasn't as big. I usually check out this website http://www.automallusa.net/gas-prices.html for up-to-date gas prices. It usually is more current and has more locations than most of the other gas websites.
+Quote Post
Luvtheroad
post May 17 2013, 09:54 PM
Post #95

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45805

We have WAWA gas stations opening all over Central Florida and I've noticed that anywhere one of them has opened, the other stations have had to lower their prices. Gas is the cheapest I've seen in a long time. Luckily we're only heading to North Carolina and maybe Virginia this summer, so our gas consumption will be WAAAAY down (we usually put 13-15,000 miles on the truck in our 4-5 months on the road).
+Quote Post
Jerry S
post Jun 1 2013, 09:48 PM
Post #96

Advanced Member

Well, our 4 week trip to MS and LA is about to end and we will be back to $4+ gas prices at home. Once we got out of IL and into MO 4 weeks ago, we paid between $3 and $3.40/gal. in MO, AR, MS, and LA. There were some guys in the RV park office this evening talking about gas prices north of here (Effingham, IL). They were saying that it was $3.80 in Champaign, IL and well over $4 in Joliet, IL. We usually top off around Kankakee, IL, so I'm guessing that our last fill will be over $4/gal. What lies ahead when we hit the road again in July?
+Quote Post
NHillCountry
post Jun 30 2013, 04:03 PM
Post #97

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 78024

Excellent thread!

The price of fuel really does influence our driving anywhere decisions...not just pulling the Travel Trailer.
We just came through a siege of over 3 weeks in our Northern Midwest area where the cheapest gasoline was in excess of $4.30 per gallon. Pulling the camper with the truck was out of the question. We actually limited our driving even into town for groceries to one trip a week which is combined with mandatory scheduled Dr. Appointments.

Both my husband and I are retired and our only income is Social Security. We do not delve into our retirement savings except for large purchases (cars) etc. We choose to live out of our monthly income. This involves saving up for trips lasting a month or more.

Fuel costs are the largest expense we encur while traveling with the RV.
Campgrounds are our next biggest expense.
If we are sightseeing intransit then entrance fees and tour tickets are our next biggest cost.
(We compensate for the high fuel costs by rarely eating in restauraunts)
We buy groceries locally and don't encur any more cost than if we were at home.
We carry a motor scooter with us, and use it for transportation while in a campground.

Gal from the North Country
+Quote Post
Jerry S
post Jul 5 2013, 09:00 PM
Post #98

Advanced Member

It is hard to believe that we've been home for almost 5 weeks and will be leaving for our summer trip this Sunday. The local gas prices here have finally gotten down to around $4/gal. I was paying over $4.40 in the middle of June. I know almost the entire rest of the country has been cheaper than our general area (IL, WI, MI, etc.). It would be nice if we didn't have to pay anywhere near that for our entire 2 month trip. It is a long way out to Washington/Oregon and back. We usually put on about 7,000 miles on this kind of trip. We haven't been all the way out to the Pacific in 4 years.

I need to start adding to my review total since the are a couple of others on this site who have been cutting into my lead since the beginning of the year. Folks who travel all year have a big advantage over those of us who are only on the road 4 or 5 months a year.
+Quote Post
John S.
post Jul 17 2013, 12:30 PM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Member No.: 207

Well i amswered this in 08 and i was at 165k now I am over 300k so the travel continues and I am still putting on 25,000 miles min a year.

--------------------
John S.
2001 Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree
Jeep Wrangler Toad
+Quote Post
GaryWT
post Aug 26 2013, 10:24 AM
Post #100

Advanced Member

Member No.: 480

New trailer this year, we are shooting for 40 nights but since it is all in New England the miles do not add up that much, trips are anywhere from 50 - 240 miles round trip for the most part.
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Aug 26 2013, 11:12 AM
Post #101

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

A very easy way to cut the cost of campgrounds in half is to stay at Wal-Mart every other night. If you have good AGM batteries, you can cut them in thirds by staying there twice and once in a campground. Phone app help also. We love Pass Port America's 50% discount.

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post
Helkken
post Aug 26 2013, 02:01 PM
Post #102

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 82433

QUOTE(GaryWT @ Aug 26 2013, 12:24 PM) *

New trailer this year, we are shooting for 40 nights but since it is all in New England the miles do not add up that much, trips are anywhere from 50 - 240 miles round trip for the most part.

That's great idea. Another way is to stay in one of the travel centers that some gas stations provide. This cuts down the driving time so one can get some rest. You will have to deal with the noise coming from the trunks that seem to run their engines nonstop. We always slept through the noise and constant movements of the big rigs and still wake up the next morning feeling refreshed and ready to face the day.
+Quote Post
Jerry S
post Sep 12 2013, 10:18 PM
Post #103

Advanced Member

Another 2 month summer trip is in the books. Chicago to the Pacific Northwest and back - just about 7,600 miles. Fortunately, we never paid $4/gal. or more. We did, however, pay $3.99 a couple times: once in Belfield, ND and a couple times in WA and on the OR coast. Except for that one charge in ND, the prices east of the Rockies weren't too bad ($3.40s to $3.70) but ID, WA, and OR were mostly between $3.80 and $4. I did see a few above $4. Now that I am home, I was able to find gas for under $4 in the nearby suburbs.

I got under 10 mpg for much of the trip because of all the ups and downs of mountain driving. So, I probably used over 800 gallons of gas at a cost of around $3,000 for a 2 month trip. Not great, but it could have been worse. Now, how far do we go in the fall?
+Quote Post
Jerry S
post Nov 16 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #104

Advanced Member

Well, our travels are over for the year. We got back just ahead of the earlier than usual cold weather in the Midwest. We had just enough time (about a week) to winterize the RV before the first hard freeze in our immediate area. After leaving Chicago at the end of September, we paid about $3.20/gal. in central IL and prices stayed at least that low as we traveled south and west. Our itinerary on this trip was somewhat convoluted due to family considerations, so we ended up traveling an additional 1,000+ miles. The entire trip was over 4,000 miles. Fortunately, the gas prices in October were not what they were during the summer. By the time we were headed home in early November, we paid under $3 at several places in MS and MO. Even 50 miles south of Chicago our last day, we only paid about $3.30 the first weekend of November. I paid $3.45 locally last week to fill the car, but even that has dropped since then. Maybe next year won't be as bad this year was during my travel season. It would be nice to not have to worry about $4/gal. gas in the summer when I usually drive up to 10,000 miles.
+Quote Post
GaryWT
post Jun 28 2014, 08:38 AM
Post #105

Advanced Member

Member No.: 480

We did our 40 nights last year and this year we are shooting for more. If we lived someplace were we did not have to put it away from Nov to April we would do more. Hopefully this year will get up about 45 nights. Since it is $100 to fill the truck, we have been doing more 3 day weekends or taking Fridays off so we can check in at check in time rather than 7 at night.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com