2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rv Park Convenient To New York City
Don_F
post Sep 6 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #16

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 31545

If you travel there AFTER Labor Day (*and* before Columbus Day -- 2nd Monday in October), you are in luck!@! Almost *any* public park will have space, just be sure to call ahead to reserve.

We stayed at Liberty in summer, 2008 -- must have rsvd, else you cannot expect a space; $60 per night, full hookups, stayed & visited our son for 3 days -- tried to extend but could not... the place is just plain busy during the summer travel season, and you gotta get a reservation. We would stay again, for the close-in convenience; walking to PATH station was no big deal -- and there is new development in the area which has greatly improved the night-time ambiance.

Alternatively, we visited a couple years earlier, called ahead to the county park in Lido Beach, on Long Island; what a great find! The camp host gave me very good directions to avoid the low clearance parkway bridges, we zoomed in (and out, when we left) with no difficulties. Visited our son via half-hour train ride (LIRR) to the Manhattan subway; fun way to go... first 3 nights; then hurricane stuff blew into town, made things snotty downtown so he came to our place for the weekend, and the snot stayed downtown, while we had idyllic (tho intermittent overcast) weather at the beach -- what a great way to go... stayed for almost 2 weeks, saw a couple plays, toured the Long Island beaches, abit --- NICE time to go, since the summer folks are GONE, no riff-raff, etc. We stayed at the Nickerson Beach Campground; it was a short, 2 mi drive to the LIRR, free parking with security monitoring (ie, cameras and adjacent police substation!); they also have a campground near Bethpage (in case you're into golf!).

Nassau County Ofcs & Institutions: Nassau Beach Campground
- http://www.nassaucountyny.gov - (516) 571-7724 -

Good Luck,
Don

p.s. We also stayed at the northern KOA, as we were passing thru east-to-west from visiting friends in New Hampshire; they have daily buses into the city, so there's no parking/driving issues. Very nice for KOA; we prefer state/national/city (ie, public) camping parks over the private ones.

--------------------
----------
Don & Fannie
2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS
2004 Volvo 630

San Jose, CA -- Temecula, CA; Awahtukee, AZ; Chicago, OH, NYC, etc.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wadragracing
post Sep 8 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 36561

Thanks everyone for your assistance.
I think I will just call ahead a few days before once I am in the States.
As for the general area I'll check it out once I get there and see how it feels, if my gut doesn't like it and I'm out in Manhattan till late then I will just get a taxi back, can't be that much right?
+Quote Post
Cheryl
post Sep 8 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 340

QUOTE(wadragracing @ Sep 8 2009, 11:31 AM) *

I will just get a taxi back, can't be that much right?

If you believe that, while you're in the city, go to Brooklyn. I have a wonderful bridge there I can sell you. blink.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
dbnck
post Sep 10 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10705

QUOTE(wadragracing @ Sep 8 2009, 09:31 AM) *
As for the general area I'll check it out once I get there and see how it feels, if my gut doesn't like it and I'm out in Manhattan till late then I will just get a taxi back, can't be that much right?
I almost never take cabs, so I looked up what it would cost to get to Liberty Harbor and found out that the fare is negotiated between the driver and passenger for all trips going outside the five boroughs. It's a short trip by car because the Holland Tunnel is close to Liberty Harbor, but I'm not sure you'd have an easy time getting someone to agree to do it, plus it would likely be expensive because you'd have to cover your trip plus the trip back to Manhattan because the driver wouldn't have a fare for that one, plus the toll for them to get back into the city.

But really, there is no reason in the world why someone would need to take a cab back. If you're just too scared to walk from the PATH station, you can pick up the light rail train (separate fare) at an earlier PATH station and it will drop you much closer to the RV park. Or you could take a cab from the PATH station (either the one everybody walks to, or perhaps a different one if cabs tend to congregate at certain ones).

QUOTE(Don_F @ Sep 6 2009, 11:17 PM) *
We stayed at Liberty in summer, 2008 -- must have rsvd, else you cannot expect a space; $60 per night, full hookups
A small correction--Liberty Harbor is w/e only, with a dump station. Not full hookups. In the winter, they turn off the water at the sites, but it's still on at the dump station.

As for staying out on Long Island, that might be a good option if Liberty Harbor is full. But it's an hour on the train to get to Manhattan, and commuter trains run on infrequent schedules during non-peak times and if you miss one, it could be an hour until the next one. The trip costs something like $8 or $10 per person each way, which means an additional $30 or $40 for two people to get to and from the city every day.

The PATH train takes about 10 minutes and costs $1.75. We were there for two weeks and if I wanted to go into Manhattan just to see a movie or have lunch, it was no big deal. I would have had to think about it much harder if it involved two hours on a train.

Having done the commuter train method in Chicago and the Liberty Harbor method in New York, I know my vote is for the close-in option. There are always rumors that it's closing down, but I keep my fingers crossed because it's such a unique option. Who would ever have thought that New York would have the most conveniently located RV park of any major city in the US?

+Quote Post
Beak
post Sep 24 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 37502

1) Liberty Harbor Marina & Rv Park @ Jersey City, New Jersey. We are from CA and spent at least 9 months traveling on the East Coast. We found Liberty Harbor to be a great place to stay if you wanted to do NY City. We also walked at all hours from the park to the subway. Yes perhaps two or three blocks away might not be the best place to walk. But we found nice sidewalk cafe's along the route. Would do it again in a heart beat. Yes this is not a place to camp, sites narrow W & S only. But dump is on the property. Perhaps 30 sites in all. When we there we saw a small tent set up. During the week you can catch the ferry from the park to Manhattan. And if your young and vary strong, you might be able to hit the Statue of Liberty with a rock. LOL
+Quote Post
Lana1234
post May 27 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 43370

We have stayed at Liberty Park several times and had no trouble. It is a place to park and go see NY. The water taxi is right beside it andtrains are close. We have always had reservations. Call the 800#. I have never got a return on my email. Staff is very freindly. It stores boats so it looks more like a boat Marina. Have beautiful views at night.
They have a bu which we have not used that meets you several places in NY and takes you to designated places free of charge. They will also bring you back close to where you got off the boat.
Ihoped this helped.
Fuelflopper
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com