RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is It Ok To Charge For Wifi, Should Campgrounds charge for Internet access?
Should Campgrounds Charge for WiFi?
Campground WiFi should:
be Free to entice more campers to the c/g [ 323 ] ** [78.59%]
be Free in the more "deluxe" sites [ 23 ] ** [5.60%]
be charged for on a per usage basis (recieve an access code at check in if paid for) [ 44 ] ** [10.71%]
be Charged for by an outside agency when loggin on [ 9 ] ** [2.19%]
not be a part of the camping experience (leave your technology at home) [ 12 ] ** [2.92%]
Total Votes: 411
Guests cannot vote 
Galli
post Jun 16 2011, 08:31 PM
Post #211

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4833

QUOTE(JDRobar @ Jun 16 2011, 07:23 PM) *

It is my impression that most people that RV try to be considerate. Yes, to be sure, there are exceptions.

But, I suspect that some folks just aren't aware that streaming video requires a lot of resources.

By asking folks to not hog resources, I believe the assumption is that they know better. In some way this begs the usage charge; and, while I think that is unfortunate as it is a nuisance, it is the way the accidental/intentional hog gets their notice. You pay for what you take if it is inordinate. ohmy.gif

Perhaps if the usage was free up to a certain limit, then a charge was placed, say for every (rounded) half-Gig used.

IMHO, until people are made to be responsible for their actions, they will (unwittingly or not) act accordingly.
WHOA! What happened - I'm no longer a newbie ?

Wow, you spoke like a written book he, he, he.
I agree with you 100% and I am of the opinion that to make people aware is by chargin them
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
boogie
post Jun 27 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #212

Member No.: 57200

QUOTE(drmcleod @ Jul 18 2008, 06:18 PM) *

Should Campgrounds charge for Internet access?

What do you think?

A limited yes :-) basic wifi is not expensive and is easy to maintain if you know how. The problem is in and around cities if you dont hire a company to manage a wifi hotspot to control it ANYONE can get on. Yes, I have seen ppl sit in cars outside businesses to use it. Thats often when your money paying customers complain about speed, you begin getting neg. reviews. Then there are campers with kids of multiple ages that each want on to download music, for kindles, ipads, and computers and don't even get me started on netflix and gaming systems LOL. I feel free basic internet access to do searching, email, socializing is perfect. In that same note there should be rules preventing the system from being overloaded by those wanting to play high end games and music/video downloads...wifi isnt meant for that...and with the parks I am experienced with most wifis are bogged down with a few ppl at the sacrifice of many.
+Quote Post
Tireman9
post Jun 30 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #213

Member No.: 43410

Just returned from a week trip that included 6 different campgrounds.
Never a separate charge but WiFi ranged from good to non-existant at my campsite. A couple parks offered WiFi but you had to go to the office building area.
In one case I was about 100' from office so my Hawking signal booster worked.
The CG I liked the best only had WiFi at the rec hall but they were only charging $28 (30A electric)

Side issues. How about parks that have coin operated showers? or consider 15A electric reasonable.

Would I like "free" WiFi? Sure. I would also like a clean, heated pool, dry capsites, free showers and maybe a golf cart to ride around in but I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe the solution would be to offer WiFi but keep the charge nominal like $2. That way the park owner knows who and how many really wants it, and if they need to grow capacity,

--------------------
Check out my Blog
www.RVTireSafety.com
+Quote Post
zavsgran
post Jul 2 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #214

Member No.: 21771

As an RV Park owner, I do not feel that it is fair to charge for this service. I paid $600 for an antenna & $29.95/month for 20MBPS Internet service. This also keeps me free from liability when someone how up with an older computer, they don't get as angry when they are not paying for wifi
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Jul 3 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #215

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

We just returned from a 2 month plus trip saying in numerous parks and boondocking. The WiFi was spotty and one time I questioned the owner about it and feel like he definitely lied about it. I have a really good omnidirectional WiFi antenna and was unable to pick it up. Another place that said they had WiFi told us when we couldn't get it at our site that, "It's working good at the house." I think many owners realize that WiFi is a big selling point and make an uninformed attempt to provide it. Both guys I mentioned touted it heavily. One just plain lied about it and the other was just dumb. I was able to hellp things drastically with my antenna. I also have the ability to tether so my Verizon Android. In the West we had times where we could get no cell signal. I have recently heard of a new WiFi type system that utilized the wave length between different TV channels that is supposed to be very good. It is called White WiFi. Looks like the much touted WiMax has died. We take an extended trip every summer and this trip was the best of all for getting internet coverage and I think that trend will be continuing.

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post
CyndiK
post Jul 18 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #216

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 57820

QUOTE(tandiee @ Jul 22 2008, 10:03 AM) *

I think WiFi should be free, almost all the Motels offer it and most are free.

I don't do much on the internet while camping but the weather bulletins are worth it. Last time the campground did nothing to warn anyone of storms. Good thing someone had access to let people prepare.
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Jul 27 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #217

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

I have seen ppl sit in cars outside businesses to use it.

Hey, that was me. next time stop and say HI. Putting in a password will stop 99 plus% of us who use unprotected WiFi.

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post
Galli
post Aug 14 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #218

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4833

QUOTE(drmcleod @ Jul 18 2008, 04:18 PM) *

I would like to get other opinions on this.

My opinion is no! I have two reasons for this.

First, as a consumer. Having free internet access is actually one of the things I look for in a campground. It's a 'perk' if you will. If I have the choice between two, somewhat comparable, c/g's then I will choose the one with free WiFi. Heck, I'll even choose the one with free WiFi over one that is slightly nicer with fee for service.

Second, as a business owner (of which I am one). It does not cost more to allow the whole campground access to your broadband service. The only additional expense is the addition of the hardware. In some cases this might be more expensive if additional antennas are required and installation requires an expert. Also, a higher than basic internet subscription is needed. However, if the c/g is going to charge for its WiFi service, then all of this has to be done anyway. Therefore, consider it a marketing expense to drive more people to your c/g. Why do you think that places like Panera Bread and even McDonald's are offering free WiFi? I know I choose to eat there when I need a place to surf while I eat. In my case, I want more people to come to my place of business, so I make my wireless service available to all. It costs me no more, but brings more people to me.

What do you think?

I would like to get other opinions on this. = Yes, Internet is not part of the facilities required for camping, the organization is charging you, as unit price for space, for electrical line up to your unit , water shower and washroom service, every thing else, unless specifically included should be optional service and must be paid for.
+Quote Post
rkw99
post Aug 15 2011, 01:09 PM
Post #219

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61121

I think it's fine if they charge. If they charge though, I expect it to work consistently. We can take it or leave it. We bring the laptop and if wi-fi is available we will use it even if we have to pay. The only place we've been charged, we paid about $15 for a week. It would have been about $10 for a day though and I wouldn't pay that much.
I don't mind if the campground doesn't have it at all although now that most do, I am starting to expect it. If they don't have it, it's an excuse to find a Starbucks and get away from the kids for an hour smile.gif
+Quote Post
Gerall
post Sep 10 2011, 02:18 PM
Post #220

Member No.: 63117

Given a choice between no wifi and wifi, I always stay where there is wifi. Free is bonus, nominal fee is OK as I understand the costs involved in provisioning.
I am parked at an RV park now since early July and will stay until later in Sept. I have Skype running on my laptop with a Philips VOIP wireless phone system attached to the PC.
This is my main telephone system, and is cost effective as I subscribe to annual unlimited North America free calls. It is just like at home. Unfortunately the RV park I am in is in a rural setting and served via wireless internet provider. While the speed browsing is great the jitter sometimes causes difficulty in phone conversations where low jitter rates are required.

+Quote Post
RFCN2
post Sep 20 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #221

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50133

Gerall - Skype is a demanding internet user. I have used Skype for years in my office and on my cell phone to make overseas calls. It is not a good choice for anything but fast high speed internet. I had issues with Skype today in my office and I have a very fast connection that is land based.

--------------------
Bob & Barbara
2002 Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2013 Airdale Terrier
+Quote Post
tbayhiker
post Sep 26 2011, 07:30 PM
Post #222

Member No.: 55934

On the topic of 3G/4G vs wifi...I use my data plan when traveling throughout my home country but once I cross the border I must turn off my data as it would cost a fortune. Wifi is the only way we can remain connected to friends and pay bills. I would be happy to use my own data plan and not have to rely on cg wifi connections but it is not practical yet. I don't mind paying a small fee for wifi but at $5 - $10/day it really adds up over a 2-3month period.
+Quote Post
Kawartha
post Oct 7 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #223

Member No.: 63729

As indicated the quality of wifi in campgrounds varies considerably. I talked to one WIFI provider who was putting broadcast WIFI into a park on Lake Ontario. He admitted that the speed was initially SLOW and the more people that were on it at a time, the slower the access became. He said that aside from checking emails and making short replies, its effectiveness was limited.
+Quote Post
Windjammer
post Oct 25 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #224

Member No.: 63467

We are in week 6 of a cross country run. We work from our camper, and need wifi. Only one campground has offered decent bandwidth. They also have an upgrade for pay feature that allows video conferencing and streaming. Very satisfactory. The others were so throttled down, it took minutes to load the Google home page. Tengo is a provider that does this, and I avoid parks that use this "service". Why even offer it? A good system is very costly, and I expect to lay for it in the price of the site, when I need it. WiFi is a key feature driving my decision on park choice.
+Quote Post
dodge guy
post Oct 26 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #225

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12626

Do hotels charge for Wi-Fi?
+Quote Post

24 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com