2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 50amp Vs 30amp
popup
post Jan 6 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 9558

One note of caution. Consumer and standard Commercial grade electrical equipment (receptacles, breakers, plugs etc.) are manufactured to a basic standard of 80% contiuous use of the rating. That is, a 30 amp receptacle and plug are built to continually allow 80% of 30 amps, or 24 amps, continuously without building up excess heat, breaking down insulation, burning contact points etc. These items can run 100%, or 30 amp, for a short period of time.

Are continuous duty rated receptacles, plugs etc. available. Yes. At a cost. A 20 amp duplex receptacle, like in home, standard grade, costs $2.37 at Lowes. The higher grade receptacle costs $24.14.

Another example is the service equipment coming from the electric company. It, too, is rated at 80% continuous duty. A 200 amp service is designed to provide 160 amps continuously, a 400 amp service-320 amps cont. etc.

Exceed this, and trailer plugs melt and burn. Receptacles do the same thing. Cords breakdown over time. It may not an instantaneous occurrence, but overheating electrical equipment over time slowly breaks it down as well. If you want 100% continuous duty, EVERYTHING must be within that specification.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
John Blue
post Jan 8 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 214

popup,

Good information and most people do not understand the rating system on AC Power. I over build everything in AC work, use larger wires, buy top grade parts, and have no problems due to AC power. One lighting protecting system on our house cost me over $400 plus the two 30 amp ckt brks to power it up. You can see the different in the $2.37 over the $24.14 grade outlet. We see burned out 30 and 50 amp receptacles all over the place as we travel. We also see same problem with the camp ckt brks. Some people try to run everything in an RV unit at the same time.

--------------------
John
Brandon, Fl.
FMCA F-248693
Foretravel MH
Honda CRV tow
+Quote Post
archbarb
post Jan 21 2010, 06:21 AM
Post #18

Group: Moderated
From: SE GeorgiaCivil War research, SEC College Football/Basketball
Member No.: 32483

This probably has nothing to do with the question of 30A-vs-50A service, but we have a 26' travel trailer which has the 30A service. I've noticed at many campgrounds, the 30A receptacle often looks charred or may even be damaged to where I am afraid to plug into it. I've heard that you can do damage to your trailers electrical system if the receptacle is bad. Don't know if that's true, but it does make sense. I've noticed most times the 50A receptacle looks new because it is not used as often. So, I ended up buying the 50A to 30A pigtail and use it if I feel the 30A receptacle might be damaged. It just gives me piece of mind.
+Quote Post
Galli
post Jan 21 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4833

QUOTE(archbarb @ Jan 21 2010, 05:21 AM) *

This probably has nothing to do with the question of 30A-vs-50A service, but we have a 26' travel trailer which has the 30A service. I've noticed at many campgrounds, the 30A receptacle often looks charred or mayHi, if I may give you a suggestion, buy an electric power equalizer, they are some what pricy but it will protect all electronic system of the trailer.
Many years ago I bought one in the USA and I paid around $ 400, they might be cheaper now.. Good luck
even be damaged to where I am afraid to plug into it. I've heard that you can do damage to your trailers electrical system if the receptacle is bad. Don't know if that's true, but it does make sense. I've noticed most times the 50A receptacle looks new because it is not used as often. So, I ended up buying the 50A to 30A pigtail and use it if I feel the 30A receptacle might be damaged. It just gives me piece of mind.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com