Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rv Electrical Plug Configuration, 220 volt, 50 amps
FosterImposters
post Sep 9 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17719

Preparing to join family this fall in the Midwest, and have a question: thought I'd discover if any of you all may help.

I'm thinking that some of you (?) have their 50amp rigs housed beside your home/garage when not in use, and have already addressed the question with plugging your 50amp RV into the 220volt home/garage receptacles.

In year's past, we traveled in a 30amp Class C RV and could just plug-in at arrival at a correctly fused 110 volt outlet at the family's home/workshop at their ranch. Used one of their workshop outlets as this was traditionally used (and fused) for running all kinds of compressers, generators and tool-stuff. (They run a heavy equipment repair business).

Now we travel in a 50amp Class A RV. All the 220 volt equipment and plugs (at their workshop) have what they call a 'crowsfoot' configuration...3 slots.

Do I just need to purchase a 'configuration adaptor' to fit our RV 50amp cord plug (one prong, one L-shaped and two flats), into their 3 slot 220volt receptacles?

I wish to arrive with the correct plugs/cords/adaptors... rolleyes.gif
Thanks for your insights folks.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
RLM
post Sep 14 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8584

There was an article on this very subject in a recent FMCA magazine. Even if you aren't a member you may be able to browse the website and find it. http://www.fmca.com/

I absolutely agree with Kirk. Despite having some experience, I hired a master electrician to do the connection on my RV pad. Piece of mind is priceless.

+Quote Post
FosterImposters
post Sep 15 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17719

Sure appreciate everyone's replies here. I've learned this is NOT as simple as just using some kind of converter plug...(yikes). tongue.gif

Thanks so much for everyone's patience with my naive electrical questions. Good grief: the more I read the more I can understand how we can get ourselves into a very dangerous pickle with very little effort.
And yes: there WILL be an electrician pressed into service when we arrive in the boondocks of southwest Iowa. (Piece of mind is indeed, priceless!)

Cheers!
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com