RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Good Sam Or Passport America?
psherman
post Jan 9 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 39232

I've decided to join one of these two organizations and am not sure which one is the better deal. Any thoughts or experiences to help me decide? I generally camp mid-week for 2-3 nights at a time and only from about November until May (if that matters). No kids, no pets. There is a significant difference in membership fee ($19 vs $44) but perhaps that is justified by discounts. I believe that I would mostly use the membership for reduced camping fees rather than insurance or routing or technical assistance.

Thanks in advance. I'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered; I tried to search for it, but since "Sam"--a vital part of the query--has fewer than 4 characters, the search was invalid.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Denali
post Jan 10 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2163

We have used both for the seven years we have been on the road.

For those unfamiliar with these programs, Good Sam gives a 10% discount off the DAILY rate at participating parks. No discount for weekly or monthly rates. Passport America gives a 50% discount. Each park that participates in Passport America has its own rules about when they give the discount, for how many nights, etc. Some are quite restrictive, most are not.

John provided a good description of the two. A large proportion of the parks we stop at are Good Sam members, but they usually give the same discount for other memberships as well--AARP, AAA, Escapees (15% for that), etc. Be aware that your Good Sam membership automatically signs you up for an enormous amount of junk mail, trying to sell you insurance, Camping World stuff, etc.

We never go out of our way to find a Passport America park, but since we save enough to pay for our annual membership if we use it about two nights a year, it is well worth it to us. Last year we probably used it about 20 nights, so it was a real money saver.

--------------------
Dave Rudisill
Fulltimer since 2002
2004 Beaver Monterey
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com