RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dog-centric Park With Doggy Day Care, would you pay more for a park with doggy day care
NotThereYet
post Jan 30 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 39988

We have two medium-sized dogs and have yet to hit the road in our RV. Counting down the days though. Online, we've noticed several parks catering to dog lovers, complete with large fenced in dog runs, dog wash stations, dog agility training options, etc. Haven't noticed any with doggy day care or kennels onsite. Since we really haven't "been there, done that" yet in terms of going out on the road in our RV, just wondering (as a potential business venture) if people would pay more for an upscale dog-centric RV park complete with a nice doggy day care? Thanks in advance for your input.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MaineDon
post Jan 31 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10707

Well, we definitely seek out dog-friendly parks whenever we can find them. The best we've found is Four-Paws, in Rutherfordon, NC. Having large fenced yards, one for large dogs and one for small ones, is a plus for us, since we all sleep better when our Welsh Terrier has a good solid hour chasing her frisbee each day. By all reports and signs, our dog is not a "barker" in our absence; so I am not certain that we would use day care. For those who have dogs who bark (or become distressed) when they're gone, a day-care option might be of value.
+Quote Post
trailmaster
post Jan 31 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 29428

QUOTE(NotThereYet @ Jan 30 2010, 11:52 AM) *

We have two medium-sized dogs and have yet to hit the road in our RV. Counting down the days though. Online, we've noticed several parks catering to dog lovers, complete with large fenced in dog runs, dog wash stations, dog agility training options, etc. Haven't noticed any with doggy day care or kennels onsite. Since we really haven't "been there, done that" yet in terms of going out on the road in our RV, just wondering (as a potential business venture) if people would pay more for an upscale dog-centric RV park complete with a nice doggy day care? Thanks in advance for your input.

I would pay more for a park that did not allow dogs. I have yet been to a park that some of the dog owners do not pick up behind their dogs and could care less where the dogs do their business.
+Quote Post
NotThereYet
post Jan 31 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 39988

QUOTE(trailmaster @ Jan 31 2010, 04:08 PM) *

I would pay more for a park that did not allow dogs. I have yet been to a park that some of the dog owners do not pick up behind their dogs and could care less where the dogs do their business.

Good point.
+Quote Post
prodrifters
post Jan 31 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 40026

[font=Arial Black]

I have two small dogs. We only go to dog parks that are "dog friendly" of course. I have YET to visit a park that has a lot of dog messes! I walk them all over the park every day and MAYBE see one or two messes that were not picked up. My question to you would be, WHY are you staying at parks that take dogs? There are TONS of parks that don't accept pets! You sound like a grouchy old person to me.
+Quote Post
nicki
post Jan 31 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25439

I would **definitely** pay for a doggy day care service at an RV park. We travel with our two dogs and have utilized onsite dog-walking services quite often, but we have never encountered an actual doggy day care onsite. I have found that many RV parks do not advertise their dog-walking services on their website--you have to just ask when you make the reservation. At the RV parks near major attractions, we have always lucked out and found that they do indeed offer dog-walking services, and usually at surprisingly low rates. I would however prefer the doggy day care that you mentioned--fabulous idea.

QUOTE(prodrifters @ Jan 31 2010, 07:23 PM) *

[font=Arial Black]

There are TONS of parks that don't accept pets! You sound like a grouchy old person to me.

LOL! Good point!
+Quote Post
MaineDon
post Jan 31 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10707

TrailMaster: I think your idea is a good one........i.e., "paying more" for a park that does not allow dogs. Given that (in my unscientific observations) about 2/3rds to 3/4 of RV families travel with dogs, I am happy that you have a plan to find parks that are appropriate for your needs. Dog "unfriendly" parks across America take note.

And, by the way, we always clean up after our dog.
+Quote Post
trailmaster
post Jan 31 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(prodrifters @ Jan 31 2010, 06:23 PM) *

[font=Arial Black]

I have two small dogs. We only go to dog parks that are "dog friendly" of course. I have YET to visit a park that has a lot of dog messes! I walk them all over the park every day and MAYBE see one or two messes that were not picked up. My question to you would be, WHY are you staying at parks that take dogs? There are TONS of parks that don't accept pets! You sound like a grouchy old person to me.

wish I could find those parks you are talking about. I am not grouchy just hate seeing people not take care of their animals right.
+Quote Post
NorthernIllinoisPlumber
post Feb 1 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 39785

QUOTE(trailmaster @ Jan 31 2010, 05:08 PM) *

Being fairly new to camping that is one thing I worry about the most when picking a sight, barking dogs. I am also sure there is nothing better than stepping in dung, then tracking it in your camper as well.

Pets are just like family, unfortunately it is the 1% of dog owners who DON'T care. The other 99% are fine folks.

There is someone on TrailerLife with a Mickey Mouse T@B who goes to the parks...
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Feb 1 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

I saw this dog setup when we were camped in Deming, NM. The camper had several small dogs and had built in a door in a lower compartment that lead into bedroom of the camper. The dogs spent a lot of time outside and went inside without any assistance from the owner. They were quiet and the owners would set this up in the morning and leave the dogs unattended all day. Setting up the fences just tool several minutes and it was a neat setup. We have had plenty of times when a barking dog been a real problem both during the day and at night. This can happen with or without the owners knowledge.

http://www.linandnancy.com/demingsilvercity1.html

--------------------
+Quote Post
chinook507
post Feb 1 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 40032

Did you ever consider that some of the "dog mess you see could be from maybe a dog that was not one of a guest? Maybe depending on where you stay, ie National Forest, State Parks, or maybe close to wooded areas, that it could be coyotes or other four legged critters. Majority of people tend there dogs, or cats mess.

We carry extra bags and pick up the occasional mess left behind by other critters or of someone elses dog.

But if you think it is that bad and want to pay more money then go ahead and waste it and help to stimulate the economy.
+Quote Post
HappiestCamper
post Feb 1 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15651

Okay, all trailmaster said is he would pay extra to stay somewhere that doesn't allow dogs. Some people pay extra to stay somewhere that doesn't have kids. Some pay extra to stay at places where there are no clothes. To each his own.

What he said is true - there are always some who don't clean up after their dog. I see it anytime I go somewhere where there are lots of campers with dogs - there is always someone who doesn't clean up - not many, but it's that 1 percent that ruin things.

There's the 1 percent of parents who don't discipline their kids at a CG.

There's the 1 percent of those having adult beverages who get rowdy and loud past lights out.

--------------------
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

IPB Image

CG's we've been to - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&....811523&z=7
+Quote Post
trailmaster
post Feb 1 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(NorthernIllinoisPlumber @ Feb 1 2010, 08:37 AM) *

Being fairly new to camping that is one thing I worry about the most when picking a sight, barking dogs. I am also sure there is nothing better than stepping in dung, then tracking it in your camper as well.

Pets are just like family, unfortunately it is the 1% of dog owners who DON'T care. The other 99% are fine folks.

There is someone on TrailerLife with a Mickey Mouse T@B who goes to the parks...

that one percent must go to all the parks that I have been to.
+Quote Post
coacbcps
post Feb 2 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 32047

QUOTE(trailmaster @ Feb 1 2010, 05:57 PM) *

that one percent must go to all the parks that I have been to.

OK Trailmaster, I will have to agree with you this time. I have a small dog and it irratates the crap out of me (pun intended) when owners don't pick up after their dog! That is just so rude and disgusting! mad.gif If you're not going to take care of your dog, and that includes picking up after it, then you shouldn't have a dog. For those dog owners who try to be sly and think that no one knows that they didn't pick up . . . EVERYONE knows!!!!
+Quote Post
JessCairn
post Mar 12 2010, 01:05 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 40907

QUOTE(trailmaster @ Jan 31 2010, 05:08 PM) *

Trailmaster,
I totally understand you. Dog owners who don't care ruin everything for the ones who take good care of their pooches. I'm a dog lover and get bothered by careless people all the time myself.
What the heck is the problem to get a bag out and clean up? Lazy, dumb jackasses get dogowners a bad name, shame on them!

To get back to the topic. I would definitely appreciate a place with a doggie day care. Sometimes we want to visit places, look around, have dinner which can take about 6-8 hrs. but we never do because of our lil' dogs. In this country you can't take your dogs everywhere so I'd like an RV Park where experienced people could take care of my dogs for a certain time. A large dog run would be paradise for them as there are hardly any places where they can run off leash. We try to walk'em at least for 3-4 miles each day though (on leash of course).

Just my 2 cents.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com