> How Fast Does Anyone Use Up 5 Gb?, Air Cards/Cellular Modems
Denali
post Jun 14 2010, 09:17 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2163

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jun 13 2010, 03:36 PM) *

My charge has a micro USB on one end and a regular USB on the other. i thought it was for charging from the computer. Thanks, now I know. I guess I should actually read the instruction manual.
It will not only charge from the computer, you can also use the USB cable to transfer files, e.g., pictures, from the Droid to the computer.

I regularly copy a couple of spreadsheets from the computer to the Droid so I can have them with me for reference.

--------------------
Dave Rudisill
Fulltimer since 2002
2004 Beaver Monterey
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Jun 14 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

I guess when I hook it up, go to Windows Explorer, and turn it onm then it will appear as a devise with a drive letter like a camera or other external devise.

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post
Denali
post Jun 15 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jun 14 2010, 06:12 PM) *

I guess when I hook it up, go to Windows Explorer, and turn it onm then it will appear as a devise with a drive letter like a camera or other external devise.
That's correct.

The Droid will prompt you to connect as a disk drive when you connect the USB cable.

--------------------
Dave Rudisill
Fulltimer since 2002
2004 Beaver Monterey
+Quote Post
JDRobar
post Jun 12 2011, 08:21 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 58073

If there are people out there that still have a question in their mind as to what a Gig is, here's a translation that may help:

100 MB = 5 hrs on the web, or 25 min streaming video, or 10,000 average emails
250 MB = 12 hrs on the web, or 1 hour streaming video, or 25,000 average emails
600 MB = 30 hrs on the web, or 2.5 hrs streaming video, or 60,000 average emails
1 GB = 50 hrs on the web, or 4 hrs streaming videos, or 100,000 average emails

So unless you are using netflicks as your prime source of entertainment, a 5 gig prepaid MIFI (mobile personal wifi) each month should do the job.
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Jun 12 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16651

Thanks! I have ONLY ONCE come close to 5 gig, I ended up with 4.99999 one month. That is back when "24" (the TV show) was on, and I was camp hosting, no TV reception, had to watch it, and there were some 2 hour episodes that month. Otherwise, I average 2.5 gig, and I'm on the internet a lot. I have downloaded songs from I-Tunes. Surprisingly, they didn't affect my gig much.

There has been times I streamed music from pandora.com, pretty much uses up 100 meg an hour.

JJ

QUOTE(JDRobar @ Jun 12 2011, 07:21 PM) *

If there are people out there that still have a question in their mind as to what a Gig is, here's a translation that may help:

600 MB = 30 hrs on the web, or 2.5 hrs streaming video, or 60,000 average emails

So unless you are using netflicks as your prime source of entertainment, a 5 gig prepaid MIFI (mobile personal wifi) each month should do the job.

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
+Quote Post
Traveling man
post Jun 26 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33991

QUOTE(JDRobar @ Jun 12 2011, 09:21 PM) *

That's a good guide. I think you are safe unless you are doing a lot of Netflix downloads or similar. I had the Sprint unlimited internet for several years, but it was rare that I used over 2 GB. Even the month I watched quite a few old rerun shows, due to lack of tv reception, it was only about 3.5 GB. Earlier this year I switched from unlimited to their 5 GB plan which was cheaper, as I figured I would never use over 5 GB.
+Quote Post
rgatijnet
post Jul 23 2011, 04:56 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 28648

On our last trip, we found that we did use 5 gig in 28 days. We do not download any movies, but the wife and I will both download our emails and do some surfing. I will even post a RV park review on here while we are on the road. We use the Verizon card, and I can check daily usage, BUT, how do I know that Verizon is accurately calculating my usage?
When I used to tether my cell phone for internet access, Verizon once charged me almost $500 for data usage for one month. This was when I had my unlimited data contract from Alltel, which Verizon purchased. Thank goodness I caught it before they automatically deducted that amount with my auto pay. I since canceled my cell phone service with Verizon but still use my air card, on a prepaid month to month basis.
Since I refused to pay Verizon because of my contract with Alltel, they eventually stopped hassling me. They never would admit that they were wrong and that my Alltel contract, which I had used for almost 2 years, would be honored. Naturally my letter from Verizon during the Alltel purchase, was that they would honor all parts of your existing Alltel contracts. Ignore them enough and they do go away. biggrin.gif
I guess what I am saying is that even tho you may monitor your daily usage, you are still at the mercy of the provider to insure that they correctly charge you for what you actually use. There really is no way to argue with them. It becomes your word against theirs.
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Aug 2 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rgatijnet @ Jul 23 2011, 03:56 PM) *

I since canceled my cell phone service with Verizon but still use my air card, on a prepaid month to month basis.

Wow. Someone told me that they couldn't get an air card unless they had the cell phone.

I have air card, cell phone, and wireless landline. My cell phone is pretty much redundant with the Wireless Landline (Home Phone Connect) service.

JJ

--------------------

+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Aug 2 2011, 06:48 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

Our current Verizon Droid has an unlimited data plan and I can tether it to my laptop so we can get service. (a little slow). They have stopped offering the unlimited plan though.

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post
Denali
post Aug 10 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Aug 2 2011, 05:26 PM) *

Wow. Someone told me that they couldn't get an air card unless they had the cell phone.
They were mistaken, at least regarding Verizon. They may have meant that you can't get a data plan on your cell phone without a voice plan.

I have air card, cell phone, and wireless landline. My cell phone is pretty much redundant with the Wireless Landline (Home Phone Connect) service.

JJ
When I googled Home Phone Connect, I came across this interesting article: Home Phone Connect. If you are going to keep your cell phone anyway and are willing to give up your land line number, it's an interesting alternative.

As I recall, you want to keep your land line number, though.

--------------------
Dave Rudisill
Fulltimer since 2002
2004 Beaver Monterey
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Aug 10 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Denali @ Aug 10 2011, 09:27 AM) *

They were mistaken, at least regarding Verizon. They may have meant that you can't get a data plan on your cell phone without a voice plan.
When I googled Home Phone Connect, I came across this interesting article: Home Phone Connect. If you are going to keep your cell phone anyway and are willing to give up your land line number, it's an interesting alternative.

As I recall, you want to keep your land line number, though.

Interesting. But I don't know if that service will work in an RV. It appears you have to have a home phone.

In most states, Verizon gave up the land line service to Frontier. But in the states where Verizon kept the landlines, I'm hearing that people are being told they have to have a "real" landline to get Home Phone Connect. (Not true, I called Verizon on that...)

I'm happy so far with the Home Phone Connect, I got to keep my phone number. My cell phone is pretty much redundant!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com