RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> For Admins: Add Area In Review For Satellite Reception
switz
post May 4 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 33719

With Direct TV (and I assume others) satellite set up for motorhomes, one of the first questions I ask when reserving a spot is "can I get satellite reception from that space?" Just yesterday, I checked into a very nice campground (Lassen KOA, Northern Ca.) and the manager didn't really know. They were nice enough to let me walk around and pick my spot as they weren't crowded at all. I found a perfect spot that got me Direct TV HD.

It would be nice to see an area in the review for what space # one camped in and do they use satellite for TV. If they do, were they able to get reception. Just a thought. Regards, Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Texasrvers
post May 5 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

RLM,

It's interesting that you bring this up at just this time. The admins have been discussing the need for some updating for quite a while now. You have some very good suggestions, and in fact almost everything you mentioned has been discussed.

The problem is how do you list enough information on the form to tell about the campground and at the same time not make it too long or tedious to fill out. If every possible characteristic of a campground is listed for check off I'm afraid the list would be far too long. Almost every RVer has their priorities that they want to see in a cg. Some are interested in playgrounds, others care more about a clubhouse, while someone else would like to know if pets are allowed. Then there is the degree to which things are available. What kind and how much playground equipment is there? Does the clubhouse have an exercise room, a kitchen, etc.? Is there a fenced area for off leash pets to play? You can see how this could go on and on.

Therefore, it is necessary to try to choose those items that the majority of RVers would look for or want to know about. That is no easy task especially when you consider that there is only so much room on the form. If the "pets" category got removed to make room for a "clubhouse" listing, I'm sure we would hear from both sides. Some would certainly think that pets are more important than a clubhouse, but this would be a favorable change for those that don't travel with pets and who want clubhouse information. Since it is pretty much impossible to list everything we believe the more specific information should be relayed through comments. Someone who has pets will probably make a few comments about the condition of the pet area. If someone really likes the clubhouse they will mention it.

Also keep in mind that none of us are professional reviewers. We go to a campground to camp and have fun, not spend our time inspecting and measuring. If the form is too complicated and if members feel they have to report on every little thing they will stop writing reviews.

The admins realize that some of the terms are antiquated, and others are ambiguous. How much shade should there be before "shade sites" is checked. While none/light/heavy help clarify, they still depend entirely on someone's opinion of what constitutes light or heavy. Your light may be my heavy. You can see the problem, I hope.

All that said, the admins are hoping that some areas of the website will be revised. Our webmaster is very busy, but I'm sure he will make changes as soon as possible. Again thanks for your input. You have made us feel we are on the right track.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
switz   For Admins: Add Area In Review For Satellite Reception   May 4 2010, 10:46 AM
dalsgal   That would be a benefit to us managers also. Sinc...   May 4 2010, 03:04 PM
RLM   This brings up an issue that I, as a customer of t...   May 5 2010, 06:48 PM
Texasrvers   RLM, It's interesting that you bring this up ...   May 5 2010, 07:54 PM
Jerry S.   I have to side with most of what TX said. Not onl...   May 5 2010, 10:38 PM
John Blue   As TX said we have been work hard to review all it...   May 6 2010, 01:45 PM
pianotuna   Hi, Perhaps do a poll and see how many satellite ...   May 6 2010, 09:11 PM
RLM   I am also a Webmaster. If I had to spend time tryi...   May 7 2010, 08:38 PM
DXSMac   Above all else, the change I would most like to s...   May 7 2010, 09:33 PM
Texasrvers   RLM, You have made some good suggestions and your...   May 7 2010, 10:54 PM
Nolan   What about a place where a person has to add their...   May 9 2010, 12:06 PM
DXSMac   What about a place where a person has to add thei...   May 9 2010, 04:15 PM
Texasrvers   There have been discussions in the past about whet...   May 9 2010, 05:26 PM
TXBobcat   I like this thread. What frustrates me is someone ...   May 9 2010, 11:41 PM
Texasrvers   What frustrates me is someone reviewing a park an...   May 10 2010, 03:13 PM
Denali   ...I found out this was not useable in the comment...   May 10 2010, 05:33 PM
rgatijnet   My reviews all reflect MY OPINION of a campground,...   May 10 2010, 09:07 AM
DXSMac   I forgot who said it, but it still cracks me u...   May 10 2010, 03:37 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com