RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> For Admins: Add Area In Review For Satellite Reception
switz
post May 4 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 33719

With Direct TV (and I assume others) satellite set up for motorhomes, one of the first questions I ask when reserving a spot is "can I get satellite reception from that space?" Just yesterday, I checked into a very nice campground (Lassen KOA, Northern Ca.) and the manager didn't really know. They were nice enough to let me walk around and pick my spot as they weren't crowded at all. I found a perfect spot that got me Direct TV HD.

It would be nice to see an area in the review for what space # one camped in and do they use satellite for TV. If they do, were they able to get reception. Just a thought. Regards, Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jerry S.
post May 5 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10441

I have to side with most of what TX said. Not only can the list of things to check off get out of hand but you also have the "opinion" factor in these listings. Things like big rig, pet, kid, and family friendly are opinions. Things like "# of cable channels" is factual and can easily be listed. I usually give a ball bark figure (20, 40, 60) for the number of channels in my reviews.

The original item suggested in this thread (satellite reception) is much trickier. Unless you have a very open park (read treeless or no trees over 12' high), a park may have a variety of sites which may or may not be good for sat TV. Then there are sites which are not good for roof dishes but OK if you use a ground dish. Before I got a roof dish on my latest RV, I wouldn't have known for certain how to ascertain Sat. reception avilability in a "varied" site park. Is a reviewer supposed to go around the park and see how many sites have a clear SW view? Again, I now usually make some comment about how many of the park's sites seem to be sat. TV friendly if it has not been mentioned by recent reviewers.

WIFI also has too may parameters. Free, costly, near office only, all sites, fast, slow, dropped signal, kicked off, and on and on. All the reviewer can say is what his experience was when he/she used the service. It may work fine for me during my stay but not for the next reviewer. Then again, that reviewer may be one of those WIFI abusers who crashes the system with his overload.

Any that's just 2 items.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
switz   For Admins: Add Area In Review For Satellite Reception   May 4 2010, 10:46 AM
dalsgal   That would be a benefit to us managers also. Sinc...   May 4 2010, 03:04 PM
RLM   This brings up an issue that I, as a customer of t...   May 5 2010, 06:48 PM
Texasrvers   RLM, It's interesting that you bring this up ...   May 5 2010, 07:54 PM
Jerry S.   I have to side with most of what TX said. Not onl...   May 5 2010, 10:38 PM
John Blue   As TX said we have been work hard to review all it...   May 6 2010, 01:45 PM
pianotuna   Hi, Perhaps do a poll and see how many satellite ...   May 6 2010, 09:11 PM
RLM   I am also a Webmaster. If I had to spend time tryi...   May 7 2010, 08:38 PM
DXSMac   Above all else, the change I would most like to s...   May 7 2010, 09:33 PM
Texasrvers   RLM, You have made some good suggestions and your...   May 7 2010, 10:54 PM
Nolan   What about a place where a person has to add their...   May 9 2010, 12:06 PM
DXSMac   What about a place where a person has to add thei...   May 9 2010, 04:15 PM
Texasrvers   There have been discussions in the past about whet...   May 9 2010, 05:26 PM
TXBobcat   I like this thread. What frustrates me is someone ...   May 9 2010, 11:41 PM
Texasrvers   What frustrates me is someone reviewing a park an...   May 10 2010, 03:13 PM
Denali   ...I found out this was not useable in the comment...   May 10 2010, 05:33 PM
rgatijnet   My reviews all reflect MY OPINION of a campground,...   May 10 2010, 09:07 AM
DXSMac   I forgot who said it, but it still cracks me u...   May 10 2010, 03:37 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com