Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Need Advice On Quiet, Efficient Generator
rvmamabel
post Jun 8 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 38662

Hi folks, Hoping to stay at some national parks this summer and Walmarts on occassion. Any advice you can share about generators? Is it worth the investment? We'll be on the road for seven weeks going from eastern NY to Yellowstone Nat'l Park and around the 4 corners there and back. I'd appreciate any recommendations on a quiet generator that we can purchase and also advice on how to fuel it, run it, etc. etc. Complete newbie with this area and appreciate your experiences and good thinking.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
rvmamabel
post Jun 13 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38662

Hi everyone,

Well, I think I'm in better shape with trip planning. I think that by staying at Passport American campgrounds for our one and two-night stops, we will be able to have cheap rates and not need a generator. Looks like we'll be dry-camping in Yellowstone and will use the facilities there. Our portable dump tank will get us through, I hope! So, we are going to skip the generator for this summer, the added weight, and hassle that goes along with it. Thanks for everyone's input! The coffee maker is a super idea...I have a french press that should do very nicely.
+Quote Post
Alberta Bound
post Aug 15 2013, 11:34 AM
Post #3

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 82011

Although this thread is a little older, I thought I would update some of the special considerations 2013 has for quiet generators. I'm the editor of Volt Magazine, which focuses on generators and power requirements.

The biggest change since when this thread was created is the growth in invertor generators which are much quieter than standard gas plants. Invertor generators work by creating DC power and then storing it for use as AC power when required. This provides much cleaner electricity and is ideal for sensitive electronics like televisions or computers.

The reason these are quieter is because the engine doesn't have to work as hard. Every traditional gas generator has to run at 3600 rpm to produce electricity where a inverter generator runs only when needed and can run at a lot lower rpm rate.

Another important consideration is the new environmental concerns in California regarding generators which are often called CARB which stands for California Air Resources Board - but many states are also adopting similar rules for proper emissions standards. The goverment website it http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm

One last thing - generators are rated on the A sound scale - and you will see on most models a rating in DBA which is the sound decibels the generator runs at. A human conversation takes place at between 60 and 65 dba - a quality quiet generator runs below 58 dba. The best generators such as from Honda run in the low 50's.

You can read a lot more on which models run quiet etc and what to look for on our website at quietgeneratorguide.com.

--------------------
The Experience is in the Journey - Not the Destination...
Darren Thompson
Editor
Volt Magazine
+Quote Post
docj
post Aug 15 2013, 04:32 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

QUOTE(Alberta Bound @ Aug 15 2013, 01:34 PM) *

The biggest change since when this thread was created is the growth in invertor generators which are much quieter than standard gas plants. Invertor generators work by creating DC power and then storing it for use as AC power when required. This provides much cleaner electricity and is ideal for sensitive electronics like televisions or computers.

The reason these are quieter is because the engine doesn't have to work as hard. Every traditional gas generator has to run at 3600 rpm to produce electricity where a inverter generator runs only when needed and can run at a lot lower rpm rate.

With all due respect, an inverter generator doesn't "store" electricity. You are confusing a true inverter, which takes DC current from a battery and converts it to AC, with an inverter generator which generates AC current (often 3-phase) which is then rectified into DC and then inverted into clean 60 Hz AC. There is no "storage" of energy in an inverter generator; the energy produced is used.

Inverter generators can be quieter than traditional ones that run at a constant 3,600 rpm because the inverter generator can slow down when its load is reduced. My motorhome has an Onan 7.5 kW diesel inverter generator and its pitch changes markedly as large loads such as air conditioners switch on and off. An inverter generator doesn't "run only when needed", but it does speed up when needed to handle the load.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
rvmamabel   Need Advice On Quiet, Efficient Generator   Jun 8 2010, 08:08 PM
dog bone   I bought a Gentron about 5 yr's ago online for...   Jun 9 2010, 09:13 AM
rvmamabel   Hi there, Thanks for the reply. Now, another qu...   Jun 10 2010, 09:27 PM
pianotuna   Hi, Four about the same money ($1000.00) a f...   Jun 10 2010, 10:24 PM
chickenpants   I think you are going to need to really assess whe...   Jun 11 2010, 06:07 PM
Lindsay Richards   We boondock a lot and AC and battery charging are ...   Jun 11 2010, 08:59 PM
Denali   When we traveled in a fifth wheel we had a Honda e...   Jun 12 2010, 06:04 PM
rvmamabel   Hi, thanks for the information. We are in a 35...   Jun 12 2010, 08:19 PM
Lindsay Richards   You will learn to conserve electricity. Like your ...   Jun 12 2010, 09:13 PM
Denali   If your decision to boondock rests on having a gen...   Jun 13 2010, 12:37 PM
rvmamabel   Hi everyone, Well, I think I'm in better sha...   Jun 13 2010, 04:28 PM
Alberta Bound   Although this thread is a little older, I thought ...   Aug 15 2013, 11:34 AM
docj   The biggest change since when this thread was ...   Aug 15 2013, 04:32 PM
Georges87   Although this thread is a little older, I thought...   Sep 12 2014, 06:57 AM
dog bone   http://www.generatordepot.us/gentron3500wa...es-rv...   Jun 15 2010, 06:07 PM
harryb   The quietest generator I have heard is a Honda. My...   Jun 24 2010, 02:05 PM
pianotuna   duplicate   Aug 15 2013, 10:48 PM
PlasmaGun57   I would recommend using a inverter generator becau...   Aug 19 2014, 05:19 PM
docj   You are responding to a thread that is over a year...   Aug 19 2014, 06:39 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com