RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Towing Concerns
J Miller
post Aug 5 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 45643

I hope I'm not pestering you folks with a million questions, but I am just getting into the camping scene and I'm looking for as much information as I can gather smile.gif

I am looking to purchase my first travel trailer here in the near future. Initially, I will be towing this trailer with a 2008 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a towing capacity of 6500 lbs. The trailer's that I'm looking at are in the 4800 to 5500 lb range in dry weight. Now I don't intend on towing water with me, and I know these weights come in under the towing capacity of the vehicle, but it just seems illogical to me that our little Jeep can tow a 28 to 30 foot trailer. We're looking at ultra light trailers, and I guess I just want to make sure that I'm not getting myself in over my head.

Any info or experiences you veterans have would be greatly appreciated biggrin.gif

--------------------
J Miller
Warren, Michigan
2011 Jayco JayFlight
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Denali
post Aug 5 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2163

QUOTE(J Miller @ Aug 5 2010, 07:14 AM) *
I am looking to purchase my first travel trailer here in the near future. Initially, I will be towing this trailer with a 2008 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a towing capacity of 6500 lbs. The trailer's that I'm looking at are in the 4800 to 5500 lb range in dry weight. Now I don't intend on towing water with me, and I know these weights come in under the towing capacity of the vehicle, but it just seems illogical to me that our little Jeep can tow a 28 to 30 foot trailer. We're looking at ultra light trailers, and I guess I just want to make sure that I'm not getting myself in over my head.
I think your instincts are correct.

First, a rule of thumb in RV circles is that you should not tow a trailer that weighs more than 80% of your tow vehicle's official towing capacity. If you do, you will spend all your time trying to keep up with traffic, and it will have a lon-n-n-ng stopping distance.

Second, a short wheelbase vehicle like an SUV is not appropriate for towing a vehicle that long. The tail will wag the dog every time you meet a big truck on the road, and it can easily start the unrecoverable "sway of death" if you change lanes on a downhill grade.

Third, the dry weight of a trailer does not include any of your stuff. No clothes, no food, no pots and pans, no books, no camping gear, etc.

Before we retired we had a 5,000# (fully loaded) 19-foot trailer that we camped with on weekends. We didn't dare drive over 55 MPH when towing it with either our Ford Explorer or our Ford Expedition. I could feel it want to start swaying if we drove faster. Fortunately, we lived in Alaska, where there weren't many places to drive that fast. smile.gif

--------------------
Dave Rudisill
Fulltimer since 2002
2004 Beaver Monterey
+Quote Post
J Miller
post Aug 6 2010, 07:20 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 45643

QUOTE(Denali @ Aug 5 2010, 07:40 PM) *

I think your instincts are correct.

First, a rule of thumb in RV circles is that you should not tow a trailer that weighs more than 80% of your tow vehicle's official towing capacity. If you do, you will spend all your time trying to keep up with traffic, and it will have a lon-n-n-ng stopping distance.

Second, a short wheelbase vehicle like an SUV is not appropriate for towing a vehicle that long. The tail will wag the dog every time you meet a big truck on the road, and it can easily start the unrecoverable "sway of death" if you change lanes on a downhill grade.

Third, the dry weight of a trailer does not include any of your stuff. No clothes, no food, no pots and pans, no books, no camping gear, etc.

Before we retired we had a 5,000# (fully loaded) 19-foot trailer that we camped with on weekends. We didn't dare drive over 55 MPH when towing it with either our Ford Explorer or our Ford Expedition. I could feel it want to start swaying if we drove faster. Fortunately, we lived in Alaska, where there weren't many places to drive that fast. smile.gif

This is exactly what I was afraid of. I definitely don't want to be overturned on the side of I-75. So what do you suppose a good length to two with an SUV would be? Is 25 Ft still too long, or should we look 20' and under. I'm all about safety here, and it won't be MY car that I'm towing this trailer with, it's a relatives. We plan on getting a truck next year, so we may only tow the trailer a handful of times this year. But we are planning a trip up north that's about 250 miles away, so I don't want to take any chances. Thanks again for the input!

--------------------
J Miller
Warren, Michigan
2011 Jayco JayFlight
+Quote Post
Denali
post Aug 6 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2163

QUOTE(J Miller @ Aug 6 2010, 06:20 AM) *

This is exactly what I was afraid of. I definitely don't want to be overturned on the side of I-75. So what do you suppose a good length to two with an SUV would be? Is 25 Ft still too long, or should we look 20' and under. I'm all about safety here, and it won't be MY car that I'm towing this trailer with, it's a relatives. We plan on getting a truck next year, so we may only tow the trailer a handful of times this year. But we are planning a trip up north that's about 250 miles away, so I don't want to take any chances. Thanks again for the input!
I'm sorry, but I can't tell you what a good max length would be. Without spending a lot of money on either an equalizing hitch or, better yet, a Hensley hitch, I wouldn't tow anything longer than about 20' with an SUV.

Remember, I have no experience with that particular SUV. I would certainly look for input from folks who have actually towed a trailer with that model. Only they can tell you what feels safe. If you drive around RV parks and campgrounds, you will quickly get an idea of what other folks are towing with different tow vehicles.

Don't forget that you will need to buy a brake controller from any tow vehicle you use.

--------------------
Dave Rudisill
Fulltimer since 2002
2004 Beaver Monterey
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com