RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Towing Concerns
J Miller
post Aug 5 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 45643

I hope I'm not pestering you folks with a million questions, but I am just getting into the camping scene and I'm looking for as much information as I can gather smile.gif

I am looking to purchase my first travel trailer here in the near future. Initially, I will be towing this trailer with a 2008 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a towing capacity of 6500 lbs. The trailer's that I'm looking at are in the 4800 to 5500 lb range in dry weight. Now I don't intend on towing water with me, and I know these weights come in under the towing capacity of the vehicle, but it just seems illogical to me that our little Jeep can tow a 28 to 30 foot trailer. We're looking at ultra light trailers, and I guess I just want to make sure that I'm not getting myself in over my head.

Any info or experiences you veterans have would be greatly appreciated biggrin.gif

--------------------
J Miller
Warren, Michigan
2011 Jayco JayFlight
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Trailer Park Casanova
post Aug 24 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 48764

Jeep rates their vehicles to tow half what the engineers think they really can.
You'll be fine.

6500 lbs cap means they think it'll do twice that.

We towed 6000 lb trailer with our Grand Cherokee for years and it was excellent.
It's a very good combination.

Chryslers (builder of Jeep) aren't known for strong automatic transmissions was our only concern.
Our dealer assured us Jeeps with the factory towing option (read that; FACTORY) have the strong Borg Warner/Toyota designed towing tranny and don't sweat it.
He was right.

Use a quality brake controller, and test it per the instructions every time you roll.

Have fun!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com