RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Towing Concerns
J Miller
post Aug 5 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 45643

I hope I'm not pestering you folks with a million questions, but I am just getting into the camping scene and I'm looking for as much information as I can gather smile.gif

I am looking to purchase my first travel trailer here in the near future. Initially, I will be towing this trailer with a 2008 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a towing capacity of 6500 lbs. The trailer's that I'm looking at are in the 4800 to 5500 lb range in dry weight. Now I don't intend on towing water with me, and I know these weights come in under the towing capacity of the vehicle, but it just seems illogical to me that our little Jeep can tow a 28 to 30 foot trailer. We're looking at ultra light trailers, and I guess I just want to make sure that I'm not getting myself in over my head.

Any info or experiences you veterans have would be greatly appreciated biggrin.gif

--------------------
J Miller
Warren, Michigan
2011 Jayco JayFlight
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
J Miller
post Aug 25 2010, 08:50 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 45643

Again, I want to thank all of you folks for your comments. You all obviously know way more about this stuff than I do smile.gif

Well, I was unable to talk my wife out of purchasing the 26' TT. Don't get me wrong, I wanted it as well, but I had my concerns. We took it on its maiden voyage this past weekend, and it was about what I expected. We initially were going to take it about 75 miles up into the thumb of Michigan, but once on the highway, I discovered it definitely likes to pull you around a bit. Nothing I couldn't control, but it certainly made me a bit nervous. Sway didn't seem to be the issue, moreso the wind. It was a breezy day, and traveling 60 mph on the highway in wind gusts made for an interesting drive.

I have never towed anything of this size, so it's difficult for me to know how much movement is normal. I never felt like I was going to lose it and fly off the highway, but in the interest of safety, we decided to find an rv park a bit closer to home and we had a wonderful time. I felt much better on the trip home, as I knew what to expect. We have decided that for the time being, we're going to schedule trips a little closer to home, which is fine with us, it's just nice to get out in the woods smile.gif We're looking at purchasing a truck next spring, so the short trips will do us just fine through the end of this season.

Thank you all again for the knowledge, you have all been most helpful. Happy camping to one and all!

--------------------
J Miller
Warren, Michigan
2011 Jayco JayFlight
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com