> Mobile Landline, Take your landline with you in your RV
DXSMac
post Feb 22 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 16651

Reposted from my post on RVTravelForum.com

I'm slowly transitioning to being a "full-timer." I was going to change my landline in my home (that I'm going to sell) into a "message" number, and this was going to cost $30 (plus idiotic fees and taxes) per month. I don't like giving my cell phone number to banks and credit card companies. So this was worth it to me. The service is Frontier. I believe AT&T also has this service; Quest does not.

My cell phone is Verizon, and I stopped by Verizon to see if I could get some savings on changing my cell phone/air card plan.

Cell phone is going to cost the same: OK, no surprise.

I upgraded my air card from 3G to 4G and it will cost me $10 less per month ($50 instead of $60 for 5 gig limit. I could have gone to 10 gig if I paid $70 a month....). OK, fine.

And here's the surprise! Verizon said I could keep my phone number and they had a handy dandy little gadget that I could use with a service THEY had for only $20 a month! It is, in effect, a "mobile landline." I get a little gadget that I plug into an electrical outlet. Then I plug my phone into the gadget! As long as I'm in an area with a Verizon signal, I have a landline! And I get FREE long distance!

OK, now you ask, why would I want to carry two phone numbers? Why not just get a cell phone plan with more minutes?

1. I don't like to give my cell phone number to banks and credit card companies.
2. I don't like to call toll-free numbers from a cell phone. That is a complete waste of minutes.
3. With this service, I don't use up my cell phone minutes and my cell phone is kept only for emergencies (and while I'm in transit and not hooked up).

Now, I am concerned whether this "mobile landline" will work in "extended" area. I'm guessing it will work only in straight Verizon areas. Who knows?

But I'm trying it out.

JJ

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
DXSMac   Mobile Landline   Feb 22 2011, 10:22 AM
John Blue   JJ, We only use Verizon cell service and carry tw...   Feb 22 2011, 01:14 PM
Lindsay Richards   We gave up our land line years ago. We each have a...   Feb 23 2011, 04:11 PM
DXSMac   My phone number (landline from my condo I'm tr...   Feb 24 2011, 10:39 AM
Lindsay Richards   I remember when we used two cans and a string.   Feb 24 2011, 10:59 AM
dalsgal   I am really curious about something. Why don't...   Feb 24 2011, 04:35 PM
DXSMac   If you give your cell to banks and CC companies, y...   Feb 25 2011, 12:36 PM
RLM   There is another way to skin this cat (sorry PETA)...   Feb 25 2011, 12:11 PM
pianotuna   Hi, How is the sound quality on the magic jack wh...   Feb 25 2011, 12:30 PM
pianotuna   Hi JJ, Magic Jack is $50 per year (or mine w...   Feb 25 2011, 12:40 PM
HappiestCamper   Hi JJ, Magic Jack is $50 per year (or mine ...   Feb 25 2011, 01:22 PM
dalsgal   I'll have to accept your word for the spam stu...   Feb 25 2011, 12:52 PM
RLM   [i]pianotuna - How is the sound quality on the mag...   Feb 25 2011, 02:56 PM
DXSMac   Oh... so Majic Jack requires a broadband connectio...   Feb 26 2011, 10:46 AM
Denali   We have had nothing but cell phones since we start...   Feb 26 2011, 06:47 PM
DXSMac   BTW, the national Do Not Call Registry has nothin...   Feb 28 2011, 11:19 PM
Denali   True. But if you "port" a number that ...   Mar 2 2011, 03:12 PM
Kirk   In 11 years on the road we have never had any prob...   Feb 27 2011, 08:30 PM
DXSMac   I'm still loving this mobile landline from Ver...   Apr 25 2011, 11:38 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com