2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Taking A Poll
hahnderosa
post Mar 10 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #16

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 32071

A trucker friend gave us a great tip... carry a flare gun instead of a fire arm. It is legal everywhere, even Mexico and Canada. It can do some major damage to someone trying to harm you. It can be handy if you need help along the road.

Another good suggestion I have heard is that directional wasp spray will blind someone temporarily. Again, it has multiple uses - we have a can in every vehicle including the RV.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dog bone
post Mar 11 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 250

QUOTE(fpullanosr @ Mar 1 2011, 11:15 PM) *
My experiance is that 75-80% of RVers carry a firearm.

I find it hard to believe that 75 or 80% of RVers came out and told you that they are carrying weapons.

[quote name='FosterImposters' date='Mar 3 2011, 11:35 PM' post='25556'] </I>
Intersting thread.
Safest place: out an open door, window or ceiling vent. Relatively easy to rescreen.

How is that safe? Do you know where that bullet is going to wind up?

Please let the people that know how to handle a firearms handle them.

--------------------
Bob and Deb Allwood
Diesel, the black lab
2003 ford f 350 6.0 crew cab
2003 cedar creek 30' rlbs
+Quote Post
jim crowl
post Mar 14 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33991

It's my experience that quite a few RVr's do have a weapon. It's a good idea if you do a lot of primitive camping, but make sure you practice, and are comfortable with whatever firearms you own.

When I was a reserve sheriff's deputy, our department required us to carry at all times, on or off duty, so I'm sure this influences my reasoning. A lot depends on your camping. At the K.O.A. in town you can more than likely get assistance quickly, but in the middle of nowhere you will be on your own. I've never had to use a weapon while camping, but want to be prepared as there are criminals, meth heads out there, even in isolated areas . In terms of animals I've had bears and other wild animals walk by my campsite while camping many miles from civilization. In all situations they have had no more desire to get close than I have.

A good combination might be a 12g shotgun,and a 22 semi-automatic handgun. The shotgun would be handy if threatened by more than one person. I know many would recommend more fire power than the 22 handgun, such as a 9mm. However with a little practice and a Browning target 22 pistol for example, you can group your shots quite accurately. Ammo is cheap, so you can have some fun targeting while improving your skill. Some states, such as Missouri, have a number of free practice ranges in national forests.
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Mar 15 2011, 08:49 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

I have been full timing for 8 years and hadn't thought about being armed until now. I guess what I need to do is mount a quad 50 on the roof of the RV and a 106 recoiless on the truck firing WEP. In the RV I could use a M16 on auto and a 1897 Winchester pump with 00 Buck. Maybe I should have paid more attention when I watched the movie Tremors the last time. A few hand grenades might be useful too.

--------------------
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
Fitzjohnfan
post Mar 16 2011, 01:32 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41655

In reference to post #13, 14 & 15, I know, getting way off topic, but...

Why in the wild do they call it scat, sign, or droppings, but when it's from my dog in my own back yard (or in my closet), it's called something else (unprintable).

--------------------
Chris G.
Westminster, CO
FMCA: F3508-S
1989 32' Southwind MH
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Mar 16 2011, 03:13 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ Mar 16 2011, 02:32 PM) *

In reference to post #13, 14 & 15, I know, getting way off topic, but...

Why in the wild do they call it scat, sign, or droppings, but when it's from my dog in my own back yard (or in my closet), it's called something else (unprintable).

Could it be they used those terms for the same reason you called it "unprintable?" It would be crude to use the term you refer to.
+Quote Post
RLM
post Mar 16 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8584

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Mar 15 2011, 06:49 AM) *

I have been full timing for 8 years and hadn't thought about being armed until now. I guess what I need to do is mount a quad 50 on the roof of the RV and a 106 recoiless on the truck firing WEP. In the RV I could use a M16 on auto and a 1897 Winchester pump with 00 Buck. Maybe I should have paid more attention when I watched the movie Tremors the last time. A few hand grenades might be useful too.

Quad 50s are really heavy. Will your roof support them?

The 106 is typically an anti-tank weapon. Perhaps it’s overkill, but then if you can afford it, why not?

If you are going to use a grenade, then may I suggest the standard Mark IIA1. A frag grenade might rib into the siding on your rig. Wouldn’t want that to happen.

I too kinda like the idea of an M16. You wouldn’t need the 1897 Winchester pump. I might suggest that you not load more than 15 or so rounds into the clip tho. On automatic, it is prone to jamming with more than that.

When you said WEP did you mean Willie Pete? The appropriate acronym for that is WP.

+Quote Post
FosterImposters
post Mar 16 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17719

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Ok, I think we are under 'dressed' for this party!
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Mar 17 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3594

We have only been traveling by RV since 1972 and fulltime since 2000 and in that time we have never needed a firearm for protection. But we do use some degree of common sense in choosing where we wish to spend the night.

As to whether or not I carry a firearm, I adhere to the policy of "don't ask and don't tell!"

--------------------
Good travelin !..............Kirk
Professional Volunteer
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Mar 17 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE(RLM @ Mar 16 2011, 07:04 PM) *

Quad 50s are really heavy. Will your roof support them?

The 106 is typically an anti-tank weapon. Perhaps it’s overkill, but then if you can afford it, why not?

If you are going to use a grenade, then may I suggest the standard Mark IIA1. A frag grenade might rib into the siding on your rig. Wouldn’t want that to happen.

I too kinda like the idea of an M16. You wouldn’t need the 1897 Winchester pump. I might suggest that you not load more than 15 or so rounds into the clip tho. On automatic, it is prone to jamming with more than that.

When you said WEP did you mean Willie Pete? The appropriate acronym for that is WP.

Oh yeah, I can make braces for support of the 50's on the roof.

I knew right after I put in WEP that I was wrong. Maybe I could make a mixture of WP and HEP. I was a squad leader on a 105 in the 60's. We fired mostly HEAT rounds but HEP and WP were available. Long time ago and the memory isn't what it used to be.

Actually I prefer an M1 carbine but it isn't auto. Maybe a BAR.

--------------------
2003 Ford F-350
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Mar 19 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1770

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Mar 2 2011, 09:24 PM) *
Also decide on a safe place to shoot it in the floor to scare off an intruder.

Seriously? I have never been in a situation where I needed to use a firearm to defend myself or family, but everything I have read, and everyone I have talked to, have said that if you feel the need to pull out a gun and fire it, aim at the threat -- and fire it. If you don't think you are willing to do that, a baseball bat or pepper spray may be a better choice. Yes, verbally warning that you have a gun will hopefully solve the problem, but don't shoot to warn or scare. This is just what I've heard.

We don't carry firearms, mostly due to being unsure of different state laws. I have not been at a campground yet where I felt I wanted a firearm.

I have only met one or two people who made it known that they carry firearms in their campers. I have no idea the percentage of people who are armed while camping, but I find it hard to believe it would be 80% or even over 50%. Very possibly full-timers or more avid campers would have a higher percentage of carrying - is that where the 75 or 80% numbers are coming from?

Also, we are usually camping with kids -- who many times are going in and out of the campers. This is not a good situation to have firearms about, unless you are actually carrying them --- which can be interesting to do wearing a bathing suit and T-shirt.

Possibly in the future, when the kids have moved out and wife and I are traveling around, I may look into carrying while camping. But for now, nope.

Oh, and I do have a carry permit and shoot on a regular basis.

--------------------
2008 F-250 5.4L CrewCab
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor TT
+Quote Post
edcornflake
post Mar 22 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 42869

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Mar 17 2011, 07:32 PM) *

Oh yeah, I can make braces for support of the 50's on the roof.

nedmtnman,
When you're done with the mods to your rig, please post pics. I'd love to see your post apocalyptic RV!
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Mar 23 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Mar 22 2011, 02:35 PM) *

nedmtnman,
When you're done with the mods to your rig, please post pics. I'd love to see your post apocalyptic RV!

I will not advertise what the new mods look like. They will be camouflaged so they aren't conspicuous for the surprise factor.

--------------------
2003 Ford F-350
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com