> Bathrooms In Campgrounds, Suggestions on keeping clean
abbygolden
post Aug 2 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17389

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Aug 2 2011, 02:57 PM) *

We are currently staying at a private park here in Indiana owned and run by ex-fulltimers. At the entrance to the bathrooms/showers is a sign that says, "These facilities are provided as a convenience for you. Abuse these facilities and we will close them down. Thank you for your consideration."
The facilities are spotless, some of the cleanest I've ever seen!
So I say, throw the responsibility back on the community, as it works, whether it is PC or not. The campers will police themselves. At least they do here, and that's a good thing.

Am I to understand that there is no one assigned to clean the rest rooms? That would be a first in a private RV park. And, while I agree with the sentiment, if I were to ever go to a place that had a sign such as you mention, I would turn around and depart. The "facilities" are NOT provided as a convenience - they are an integral part of the park. If they were to be closed, the owner would lose customers in a hurry. Again, I completely agree with the sentiment, just not the actuality. If it works for them more power to them. RVers now stay away from places that charge for wifi or don't allow dogs. How do you think it would be if a traveller pulled in and saw that the rest rooms were closed?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Galli
post Aug 2 2011, 03:39 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4833

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Aug 2 2011, 02:22 PM) *

Am I to understand that there is no one assigned to clean the rest rooms? That would be a first in a private RV park. And, while I agree with the sentiment, if I were to ever go to a place that had a sign such as you mention, I would turn around and depart. The "facilities" are NOT provided as a convenience - they are an integral part of the park. If they were to be closed, the owner would lose customers in a hurry. Again, I completely agree with the sentiment, just not the actuality. If it works for them more power to them. RVers now stay away from places that charge for wifi or don't allow dogs. How do you think it would be if a traveller pulled in and saw that the rest rooms were closed?

abbygolden = I agree with your statement, namely, I wouldn't go to a park without the basic service, however and mine is not a sarcastic statement, there are certain people that they feel comfortable with this restrictions.
I believe that there are small parks where the campers becomes like a family and in order to keep the cost down, they are ready to cheap in the maintenance.
Regarding myself, I see more a park like an extension of an hotel with less or more facilities (i.e. swimming pool, SPA, tennis, HiFi...etc.., however, in order to have these facilities I am ready to spend a little bit more
+Quote Post
B. Kidd
post Aug 3 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55883

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Aug 2 2011, 02:22 PM) *

Of course staff cleans the restrooms. Duh...It's a private park!
Since almost all MH's/TT/5th Wheels have showers and bathrooms, I differ with you in that rest rooms could realistically be viewed as a convienience.
I heavily doubt that they would close the bathrooms, but it plants the right idea of self-responsibility in people's minds.
You misunderstood and yes, you assumed. You know what they say about those who assume.
Adios!
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Aug 3 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14080

B.Kidd, I'm not sure why you decided to be so sarcastic. Just because it is a private park does not mean the bathrooms will be cleaned by someone that is employed there. We have stayed in private parks where the restrooms were never cleaned. One was full of leaves and kitchen garbage and one was so nasty I would have preferred to use the woods rather than even consider using the facilities.

Most of the campers here are motor homes and fifth wheels but many people still think they should use our bathrooms instead of using their own and many of those do not clean up after themselves and feel they shouldn't since it the campground pays someone to do that job. I actually had a customer tell me that I was paid to clean up after them. I do not mind doing routine cleaning but when someone deliberately leaves a mess I don't appreciate that.
+Quote Post
abbygolden
post Aug 3 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17389

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Aug 3 2011, 11:17 AM) *

Of course staff cleans the restrooms. Duh...It's a private park!
Since almost all MH's/TT/5th Wheels have showers and bathrooms, I differ with you in that rest rooms could realistically be viewed as a convienience.
I heavily doubt that they would close the bathrooms, but it plants the right idea of self-responsibility in people's minds.
You misunderstood and yes, you assumed. You know what they say about those who assume.
Adios!

Your OP left me wondering about the cleaning responsibility, hence the question. I certainly don't feel that rest rooms should be considered a convenience. They are a necessity. As dalsgal and others will tell you, even those who have big rigs frequently will use the CGs rest rooms rather than the bathrooms in their own rig. I've never been able to figure that out but it's a fact.

I didn't assume anything, I was just trying to get an answer which you so graciously provided. You obviously have a great deal more experience than my 30+ years of RVing so I will yield to your all knowing experience.

dalsgal - ref your first sentence - I just consider the source and keep on going.
+Quote Post
vincee
post Aug 5 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 36179

My observation on public restrooms is that it seems the nicer, cleaner, more modern and updated the facility, the more likely the camping public respects the facility and efforts of the CG owners, whether state, national, or private run. More so at private run CG, if the CG owners do not have the business sense to keep their facilities updated and neat, people take that same opinion that if the place is already a "dump" whats the difference then if they add to it. Almost like extracting some revenge for having "crappy" (pun intended) facilities to start with. I am not saying this is the right tactic to follow to show dissatisfaction with a campground versus a complaint to those in charge/own, but in some odd way I can see how some may react to less than nice facilities. I would guess most of us somewhere in our travels have encountered dispicable restrooms with reactions of disgust. Places like this breed the If they don't care, Why should I? attitude.

On the other hand, some people just do not have common curtesey and decency to just have a respect for one another, and for these types, you can not help them. Some people are just PIGS>
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com