post Sep 12 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #76

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13685

[quote name='RLM' date='Sep 11 2007, 08:52 PM' post='8308']
[quote name='gwbischoff' date='Sep 11 2007, 12:18 PM' post='8304']
Again, I think my point is lost.
The "broad brush" comment was strictly to support your right to research and find the best campground for you and not eliminate a choice strictly because it was or wasn't a KOA.

GW> I have no "rights" to research or do anything else. The government took all of those away.

And, NO, your point was not lost...on none of the times that you repeatedly mentioned that fact. It was well stated and understood. Please give me credit for listening.

By the way, I've been to Moab. Very nice with or without a KOA.

How much cholestrol did the roach have?

That was a joke, so please accept it as such.
[/quote]

No worries.

My response was geared more toward some of the other replies rather than yours.

I think part of the problem stems from the title of the post "KOA-Good or Bad". As if every KOA has to fall into one category. They're just like all the others out there. You'll find some beauty queens and some are pigs.

Moab's a great area. Liked it alot.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Patster1234
post Sep 27 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 15377

I am a newbie here. After reading many of the posts regarding KOA's, I am curious where those of you who do not prefer KOA's choose to stay?? And also what are the prices for the sites you choose??

We have used KOA's as a 1st choice and only found 1 or 2 not being up to an acceptable level. I find the majority of them to be clean, the sites level, the grounds well kept.
We have been rv'ing for approximately three years and have travelled across the country twice.
+Quote Post
pianotuna
post Sep 27 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #78

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10403

Hi Patster,

I find KOA campgrounds to be on the expensive side, even after using their "discount" card. I prefer to find very inexpensive campgrounds as most of my stays are just "over night". Have a look at http://freecampgrounds.com/ for the type of facility I want.

I also find the Koa's don't allow much room between sites.

QUOTE(Patster1234 @ Sep 27 2007, 06:15 PM) *

I am a newbie here. After reading many of the posts regarding KOA's, I am curious where those of you who do not prefer KOA's choose to stay?? And also what are the prices for the sites you choose??

We have used KOA's as a 1st choice and only found 1 or 2 not being up to an acceptable level. I find the majority of them to be clean, the sites level, the grounds well kept.
We have been rv'ing for approximately three years and have travelled across the country twice.

--------------------
Regards,

Don
+Quote Post
ddbradley952
post Sep 27 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #79

Unregistered

QUOTE(easyrider65_01 @ Sep 30 2004, 01:22 AM) *

I am relatively new to owning an RV and I was wondering if KOAs as a whole are nice or if it better to stay non-franchise cg s. I f have stayed a few KOAs and I get the feeling that KOA does not monitor the cgs that are not in the more tourist areas. I plan on doing a lot of traveling and KOA has a great website to locate a cg. I hope that my poor experiences have been the exception rather than the norm. So, as a whole are KOAs to be avoided mad.gif or enjoyed biggrin.gif ?

KOA????????????????????????????? ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Acronym Meaning Rank
KOA kampers of america *****
KoA Knights of Avalon ****
KOA kashmiri overseas association ****
KOA Knights of Adun ****
KoA Knights of Aden ****
KOA Knee Osteoarthritis ***
KoA Knights of Armageddon ***
KOA Kashmir Overseas Association ***
KOA Kiosks Org Association ***
KOA Knights of Apocalypse ***
KOA Knights of Antiquity ***
KOA Kissimmee Orlando ***
KOA Kansas Outfitters Association ***
KOA Kaltenbach Open Air ***
KOA Katz Okitsu Associates ***
KOA Knights of the Alliance ***
KOA Kalifornia Outrigger Association ***
KOA Kampgrounds Are ***
KOA King of Assassins ***
KOA Kopen Op Afstand ***
KOA Keck Observatory Archive **
KOA Krech Ojard Associates **
KoA Knights of the Apocalypse **
KOA Knives of Alaska **
KoA Knights of Apocolypse **
KOA Korean Orthopaedic **
KOA Kentucky Optometric Association **
KoA Knights of Apocalipse **
KOA Knights of Arcea **
KOA Kapolei Outstanding Achievement **
KOA Kemps of America **
KoA Knight of Azeroth *
KoA Kingdom of Alrond *
KOA Kampground Owners Associatio *
KOA Kanawha Old Abe *
KOA Kommunal Og Arbeidsdepartemente *

Attached Image
+Quote Post
gilda
post Sep 28 2007, 09:26 AM
Post #80

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16004

deleted

+Quote Post
Warren Wilke
post Oct 1 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #81

Member No.: 4650

Looks like Mr. Bradley has way to much time on his hands. dry.gif . I understand from a friend (who has a camp ground and just sighed up with KOA), the chain has recently been purchased by a multi-millionaire and is sinking a lot of money to upgrade the chain. They have helped him put in a swimming pool, advertise with signs on the interstates and local roads, put in WiFi, etc.
So far, we have stayed in 4 KOAs on our 5000 mile trip (2 1/2 weeks into it) and have been well satisfied with all of them. I have seen some disparaging comments on this web site about some of them, and bypassed those parks (ignoring those comments that seem to be personality conflicts). Hopefully the whole chain will be good in the future, but it takes a while to turn a battleship around. As has been mentioned, it's best to check here and make an educated guess as to where to stay.
+Quote Post
katt
post Oct 5 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #82

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 16157

QUOTE(gilda @ Aug 25 2007, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE(katt @ Aug 25 2007, 08:09 PM) *

I had my 2nd worst camping experience at a KOA. If they would have at least addressed my concerns I would have been satisfied.
KOA corporate office made excuses, the campground owner could care less about his campers safety or campground cleanliness.

To me, KOA is all about drunks partying into the wee hours and filthy restrooms. Not family friendly at all!

I no longer stay at KOA's .

Thats really too bad that you feel that way. Over 500 KOA's and you let one change your opinion of all. You obviously had a bad experience. You should let us all know the name of the park. KOA's are known for cleanliness. (especially the bathrooms).

The KOA at the Wisconsin Dells is a Presidents Award Winner for KOA. It is along the railroad tracks which preclude it from being "quiet", an advertising point made by THE OWNERS AND KOA CENTRAL. The train is so loud I could not shout to you at the site and you hear me!

It was advertised as clean although I can attest the satellite restrooms were NOT CLEANED for at least 2 days when I stayed there.
It was advertised as family friendly yet they want the drunks and not the families!

Both KOA and Wisconsin Dells KOA abdicated their responsibility where the safety and comfort of their campers are concerned. The owners/ managers were hiding. Almost $40 a night and they hide rather than enforce their own rules or take responsibility for their park.

Over 500 KOA's and I let one of THEIR Presidents Award Winners change my mind!
KOA thinks drunks are family friendly! KOA Refuses to admit the noise or the filth at their campgrounds.
I saw it. I heard it. They are liars! Plain and simple. If other campgrounds want this reputation, they can take on the KOA banner.

If KOA wants to clean up their act they will have to eliminate the false advertising at MANY of their properties.

We can hear the noise at the "quiet" parks they advertise next to trains and interstates.
We can see and smell the filth at KOA's restrooms where they advertise cleanliness.

All anyone has to do is visit to find the truth. They can lie once? And then what? Goodbye KOA! You taught me what is worst in a campground!

Good God! Have some backbone and take responsibility for yourselves! The obscenity you have become!
Just how many drunken idiots with 8 foot tall fires does KOA need to call themselves family friendly? I counted 3!
At just the ONE "PRESIDENTS AWARD WINNING KAMPGROUND" no less!

I am sick of your filth! Keep your freebie nights at your noisy, filthy campgrounds, I will camp somewhere clean and quiet!

KOA disgusts me! 500 opportunities for filth!!! You should be ashamed!!!!
+Quote Post
gilda
post Oct 5 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #83

Advanced Member

deleted

+Quote Post
katt
post Oct 6 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #84

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 16157

gilda, THINK!

Just once try it.

You stay at a campground. They advertise HEAVILY about how "family friendly" and "quiet" their campground is, they advertise how "clean" they are, yet the bathrooms are filthy, their "families" are drunken jerks and the only time the drunks cannot be heard is when the train is drowning out all sound waves in human hearing range.
You get home and contact their main office only to be blown off by some guy not even from this country and hasn't a clue where the campground is even located.

You seem to believe that if you get a crap meal somewhere you should go back and eat more crap?

Keep eating your crap. I will go elsewhere and pay someone else to do their job correctly. KOA doesn't give a damn what garbage you eat just so long as you keep swallowing!
+Quote Post
gilda
post Oct 7 2007, 10:01 AM
Post #85

Advanced Member

deleted

+Quote Post
denbroncs
post Oct 7 2007, 01:19 PM
Post #86

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3334

I've had a poor meal at Ruth's Chris steakhouse- that does not indicate that all steak is bad. I've had a doctor that I did not care for - that certainly does not mean that all doctors are awful. Do I still eat steak? Of course. Will I ever go back to the doctor? Absolutely.

It appears that you would be well-served, Katt, to pay your proctologist a visit.
+Quote Post
gwbischoff
post Oct 10 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #87

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13685

Aye caramba...

So, by your logic katt, if my worst camping experience was in a private, non-KOA, park, that I should never go back to another private park. ('Cause we all know that private parks never false advertise or are next to railroad tracks.). Or if it were a National or State Park I should never go to another one.

AND I SHOULD HAVE AN ANEUYRSM WHENEVER I TALK ABOUT IT!!!! ohmy.gif

Get a grip. Have a Coke and a smile. Get a hug. Switch to decaf and go to another park.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.
+Quote Post
Bud in Florida
post Oct 14 2007, 08:45 AM
Post #88

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11911

I have stayed at some very nice KOAs and some not so nice. Sounds like all the campgrounds I have stayed at! Some are nice, some not so nice. I hate to see people paint with such a broad brush. With KOA you get a certain minimum standard of cleanliness and facilities. It is a private campground-- the owner is trying to make a profit, so it is more expensive than state campgrounds. See them for what they are. Check out the review and web site and then decicde. Not all are great not all are the pits-- pick and choose and be glad that people are willing in invest lots of money so we have a place to park our RVs
+Quote Post
mogulman
post Oct 14 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 5895

Koa's are nice for a quick stop. They are always there when you need them. Unfortunately they are next to major freeways, airports, or train tracks. Wouldn't stay at one for more than 2 days.
+Quote Post
leftyf
post Oct 23 2007, 11:38 AM
Post #90

Member No.: 17489

QUOTE(Bud in Florida @ Oct 14 2007, 10:45 AM) *

I have stayed at some very nice KOAs and some not so nice. Sounds like all the campgrounds I have stayed at! Some are nice, some not so nice. I hate to see people paint with such a broad brush. With KOA you get a certain minimum standard of cleanliness and facilities. It is a private campground-- the owner is trying to make a profit, so it is more expensive than state campgrounds. See them for what they are. Check out the review and web site and then decicde. Not all are great not all are the pits-- pick and choose and be glad that people are willing in invest lots of money so we have a place to park our RVs

I have never stayed at a bad KOA and I've been to a lot of them. I have other campgrounds that I prefer and other chains that I really don't want to stay at again.

You can't tar the entire chain because you had a bad experience at one.

--------------------
Lefty

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a pristine, well-preserved body,but
rather to skid in sideways, totally used up
and worn out, shouting Holy Sh**...what a ride!!
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com