Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Dog Repellant Tip
B. Kidd
post Oct 12 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 55883

We have spent the last two winters at a RV resort in Yuma. For some reason, last year we had more snowbirds then the year before whom RV with 2-3 dogs (mostly small ones) but walk them (or shall I say, the dogs walk them) with extension dog leashes; and they failed to keep them on a shorter leash. The park does have a lengthy dog walk, but this occurred on the way to the dog walk.
One lady walked three daschunds at the same time and she let them urinate on the front part of my site and my front tire covers 3-4 times. Finally, I politely confronted her about it, and she did not say anything in response, but if looks could kill, well, I would not be posting this now.
Anyways, to make a long story longer, a few similar isolated instances occurred with single dog owners.
I'm not the type to run to park mgmt. over every little thing, so halfway through last season I bought Repel II Dog Repellant granules and spread them generously over the front of my site.
Result: No Problemo!
Works great in small areas, like the front of my back-in site.
BTW, I like dogs, don't own any.
Repel II available at Wal-Marts or Petco.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tsimpson69
post Apr 14 2013, 01:36 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 77672

I'm sorta new to this site but something on this thread really bugs me, well several things. I agree that sometimes dog owners get accustomed to things and may forget what their cute fluffy is doing bothers the crap out of people. No pun intended. But those of you that are using repellents etc (ammonia) etc to keep dogs away really should stop and think about what you are doing. If a dog or any wild or domesticated animal ingests something you put out and becomes sick or dies you can be held responsible. Here is the part you really should consider, it in many states it would be a FELONY animal cruelty. You really should consider your actions. Defending yourself from a felony at best may bankrupt you. At worst you will end up possibly serving some time. This sounds extreme but it's not. If someone is letting fluffy deface your property call the law and let them handle it. Notify the resort etc. but don't put your liberty and families livelihood In jeopardy! Ok back to your regularly scheduled program!
+Quote Post
melvonnar
post Apr 14 2013, 10:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 56105

QUOTE(Tsimpson69 @ Apr 14 2013, 01:36 AM) *

I'm sorta new to this site but something on this thread really bugs me, well several things. I agree that sometimes dog owners get accustomed to things and may forget what their cute fluffy is doing bothers the crap out of people. No pun intended. But those of you that are using repellents etc (ammonia) etc to keep dogs away really should stop and think about what you are doing. If a dog or any wild or domesticated animal ingests something you put out and becomes sick or dies you can be held responsible. Here is the part you really should consider, it in many states it would be a FELONY animal cruelty. You really should consider your actions. Defending yourself from a felony at best may bankrupt you. At worst you will end up possibly serving some time. This sounds extreme but it's not. If someone is letting fluffy deface your property call the law and let them handle it. Notify the resort etc. but don't put your liberty and families livelihood In jeopardy! Ok back to your regularly scheduled program!

I"m not worried about being sued from fluffy's owner when I put out my dog repelent' But fluffy's owner should be worried if fluffy bites me'; my first call will be to an atorney because I"ll sue the pants off the owner.
Do I hate dogs? "no" Just fluffys owner that thinks their dog is perfeck and an do no wrong.
+Quote Post
Tsimpson69
post Apr 14 2013, 01:42 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 77672

QUOTE(melvonnar @ Apr 14 2013, 11:07 AM) *

I"m not worried about being sued from fluffy's owner when I put out my dog repelent' But fluffy's owner should be worried if fluffy bites me'; my first call will be to an atorney because I"ll sue the pants off the owner.
Do I hate dogs? "no" Just fluffys owner that thinks their dog is perfeck and an do no wrong.

I agree if Fluffy bites you his owner will be in a world of trouble, and rightly should be held responsible. I am talking about the repellent you put out. If it kills the dog, or a wild animal, in most states today you will be in trouble. I am not talking about a civil problem from the dog's owner, I am talking about criminal charges you can face. I do know what I am talking about, I am a retired criminal prosecutor. I meant it as a precaution and something to think about. AZ is a state that has STIFF criminal fines and possible jail time for animal cruelty. You put out a chemical agent for what ever reason (even if the bottle says it's harmless) you are responsible for any damage caused by it. I don't even want to think about what happens if a child were to happen to ingest it.

Dog owner's really should take better care of where they let little precious roam, yap, poop, etc. Then this whole conversation would be pointless!

Oh and one last point, If a Federally Protected (Endangered Species) Animal were to come in contact with the repellent and die, If you are caught you will be in a world of trouble you can't even fathom. Just food for thought.

Referenced: Arizona Criminal Code Title 13, Chapter 29 (13-2910)

+Quote Post
Tom
post Apr 18 2013, 07:10 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1770

QUOTE(Tsimpson69 @ Apr 14 2013, 12:42 PM) *

I agree if Fluffy bites you his owner will be in a world of trouble, and rightly should be held responsible. I am talking about the repellent you put out. If it kills the dog, or a wild animal, in most states today you will be in trouble. I am not talking about a civil problem from the dog's owner, I am talking about criminal charges you can face. I do know what I am talking about, I am a retired criminal prosecutor. I meant it as a precaution and something to think about. AZ is a state that has STIFF criminal fines and possible jail time for animal cruelty. You put out a chemical agent for what ever reason (even if the bottle says it's harmless) you are responsible for any damage caused by it. I don't even want to think about what happens if a child were to happen to ingest it.

Dog owner's really should take better care of where they let little precious roam, yap, poop, etc. Then this whole conversation would be pointless!

Oh and one last point, If a Federally Protected (Endangered Species) Animal were to come in contact with the repellent and die, If you are caught you will be in a world of trouble you can't even fathom. Just food for thought.

Referenced: Arizona Criminal Code Title 13, Chapter 29 (13-2910)

These repellants are just that, repellant. They smell bad. I can't imagine an animal or kid ingesting them. From what I've read, most repellants are actually made from natural, non-toxic ingredients that fade quickly, many times only lasting 1-2 weeks.

Animal repellants are used very commonly around home gardens (especially to ward of deer!!), and I've never heard of a problem with them. Almost any garden center carries them.

--------------------
2008 F-250 5.4L CrewCab
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor TT
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
B. Kidd   Dog Repellant Tip   Oct 12 2011, 03:42 PM
hoefler   Ammonia in a squirt bottle works well as well.   Oct 12 2011, 07:38 PM
B. Kidd   Ammonia in a squirt bottle works well as well. ...   Oct 13 2011, 04:15 PM
abbygolden   Ammonia in a squirt bottle works well as well. ...   Oct 13 2011, 06:30 PM
FosterImposters   Amazing thread. I too, have had to ward off reaso...   Oct 26 2011, 10:24 PM
Texasrvers   reasonably intelliegent dogs towing oblivious hum...   Oct 26 2011, 11:49 PM
JDOLLEN   reasonably intelliegent dogs towing oblivious hu...   Oct 27 2011, 06:12 AM
nedmtnman   We have just returned from a month long trip wher...   Oct 27 2011, 09:09 AM
Emy   We worked at an RV Park this summer as camp hosts...   Nov 14 2011, 01:00 PM
Wink   I think that I am doing all the right things to ...   Oct 29 2011, 06:39 PM
FosterImposters   Wink is right. Unfortunately we remember the ones...   Oct 29 2011, 08:43 PM
RFCN2   I love my dog but would not in a million years let...   Oct 12 2011, 10:31 PM
HappiestCamper   I bought Repel II Dog Repellant granules and spre...   Oct 13 2011, 06:53 AM
B. Kidd   And for those of us that are responsible dog owne...   Oct 13 2011, 03:24 PM
HappiestCamper   Self-admitted, responsible dog owners, like yours...   Oct 13 2011, 08:04 PM
Texasrvers   I could be wrong, but I thought the post about spr...   Oct 13 2011, 07:36 PM
Lindsay Richards   Sounds like maybe the dogs should sue the stupid...   Oct 14 2011, 03:15 PM
B. Kidd   Hap-Camper, looking back on my OP, I can see that ...   Oct 14 2011, 03:32 PM
Nolan   I haven't had any problems with owners letting...   Oct 31 2011, 12:29 PM
B. Kidd   We have spent the last two winters at a RV resort...   Apr 4 2012, 03:24 PM
melvonnar   PostScript: Spent 5 months in Yuma this year. Not...   Jun 2 2012, 01:18 PM
louimaurer   So many point of views here. This is something tha...   Jun 26 2012, 09:43 PM
vincee   melvonnar has hit it on the head. When I had my d...   Jun 27 2012, 10:10 AM
dog bone   I was asked if my dog bit. I said no. After I pull...   Jun 28 2012, 01:18 PM
Tsimpson69   I'm sorta new to this site but something on th...   Apr 14 2013, 01:36 AM
melvonnar   I'm sorta new to this site but something on t...   Apr 14 2013, 10:07 AM
Tsimpson69   I"m not worried about being sued from fluffy...   Apr 14 2013, 01:42 PM
melvonnar   I agree if Fluffy bites you his owner will be in ...   Apr 14 2013, 06:41 PM
Tom   I agree if Fluffy bites you his owner will be in ...   Apr 18 2013, 07:10 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com