Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Open Heart Surgery
Lindsay Richards
post Dec 30 2011, 06:19 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4762

I went in for a heart cathetiaztion on November 29. I ended up going to cardiac ICU for 8 days and having a heart bypass. I then spent 3 weeks in rehab. Today, I came home tethered to Oxygen. Not sure how long this is going to last. I was wondering if other have had a satisfying camping life after having a bypass. We had a lot of trouble with the surgery and that is why I was in ICU for so long. I am hopping my lungs get better and I can ditch the O2. I did learn why the call it ICU. It is because of those gowns that have no backs. I see you.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Dec 30 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

Lindsay,

I can't speak to what life is like after a bypass, but I do wish you a quick and full recovery.
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Dec 30 2011, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14145

Hope your recovery is quick and your soon back to enjoying camping.

Mike
+Quote Post
John Blue
post Dec 30 2011, 09:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 214

Good to see you back on line again. I thought you has stop worked here. Wife had open heart surgery (bad valve, no bypass work) and spend 50 days in Tampa Gen couple years ago so you did OK. It will take time to get back to your old self but it will happen. Hang in and life will get better soon. Keep the post coming. smile.gif

--------------------
John
Brandon, Fl.
FMCA F-248693
Foretravel MH
Honda CRV tow
+Quote Post
dalsgal
post Dec 31 2011, 08:37 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14080

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. My mom had triple bypass, with complications, in September. On top of that my dad died while mom was in the hospital. She will be 84 on Monday and she is up, driving, doing pretty much anything and everything she wants to do. Keep pushing to get yourself back to your "normal" busy self.
+Quote Post
fpullanosr
post Dec 31 2011, 09:28 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 42329

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Dec 30 2011, 07:19 PM) *

I went in for a heart cathetiaztion on November 29. I ended up going to cardiac ICU for 8 days and having a heart bypass. I then spent 3 weeks in rehab. Today, I came home tethered to Oxygen. Not sure how long this is going to last. I was wondering if other have had a satisfying camping life after having a bypass. We had a lot of trouble with the surgery and that is why I was in ICU for so long. I am hopping my lungs get better and I can ditch the O2. I did learn why the call it ICU. It is because of those gowns that have no backs. I see you.

I am a full timer. Had 4 bi-passes, aortic valve, 2 carotids and a pass maker in DEC. 2010. Did 3 months of re-hab and still on the road, after six month hyattis.

I coded 1 1/2 days after surgery and had to stay in CCU for 1 wee extrak, then telemetry floor for 2 more weeks. Spent last NYE and New Years in hospital.

Although back to traveling, Planning now to settle down in one place since keeping up with follow up medical appointments is getting cumbursome.

The key to getting better is diet and mobility. Need to do lots of walking. Aint EZ at first.

Good luck and good health in 2012.

In NJ now planning on Venic Fl. by mid Jan.
+Quote Post
Glenn Norton
post Dec 31 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6876

Lindsay:
Glad to hear you are out of the hospital and on the mend. Hope you recover quickly. My wife had a heart valve replacement which involved open heart surgery. Recovery time was expected to be 16 weeks. The wife managed to get better before that time elapsed. She had some difficulty getting her meds just right, but once she did it was smooth sailing. The operation was over two years ago and she is now in the best shape she has even been in over 10 years. Wishing you the same. smile.gif
Glenn
+Quote Post
Lindsay Richards
post Dec 31 2011, 09:20 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

My wife has promised me a RV trip to Nova Scota stating in June. I am hoping that it will be enough, I still require O2, but am working hard to get off it. I am 68 years old and not ready for the couch. I am so week now, a 100 foot walk put me down. I have lost 25 pounds and have to keep up the weight loss also.

--------------------
+Quote Post
pianotuna
post Dec 31 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10403

Hi Lindsay,

I'm certain you will be using your pole on the trip to Nova Scotia. Just be slow and steady in your improvement.

--------------------
Regards,

Don
+Quote Post
Kirk
post Dec 31 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3594

Hang in there and keep working at it as there are many out here on the road who have traveled that road as well. We will put you on our prayer list!

My wife just had an ankle replaced with metal, but that didn't keep her from making a dual skydive to celebrate her 70th birthday last June. Follow those doctor orders and keep on working at it and you can come back!

--------------------
Good travelin !..............Kirk
Professional Volunteer
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net
+Quote Post
GandJ
post Jan 1 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 64530

...I did learn why the call it ICU. It is because of those gowns that have no backs. I see you.

Glad your sense of humor is still intact! Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery, LR.

--------------------
It's always the batteries!
+Quote Post
Lindsay Richards
post Jan 9 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I went to the lung Dr. today and got permission to use oxygen at night and on an as needed basis. I have a good oxygen testing meter and have been doing well without it for several hours. I think I see RV'ing in my future.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Jan 9 2012, 07:23 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

That's good news, Lindsay. You'll be good as new before you know it.
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Jan 10 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

Hey, great news.

--------------------
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
dog bone
post Jan 10 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 250

I can't help with the bypass thing, but I do know if you want to do something bad enough it will get done. I know you enjoy camping.
I'm glad you are getting better. I'd bet on you making back.
Happy camping. Have a blast in Nova Scotia.

--------------------
Bob and Deb Allwood
Diesel, the black lab
2003 ford f 350 6.0 crew cab
2003 cedar creek 30' rlbs
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com