RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Do You Use Skype?, Access to the Internet while travelling in USA & CANADA
movannernz
post Jan 2 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 64534

Happy New Year to you all, hope you have many wonderful RV trips in 2012!

I am wondering how I go about getting Internet access on our 64 day motorhome trip. I am thinking I might as well bring my own laptop with me which is not Wi-fi enabled, someone has told me I will need an adapter. I use Skype at home in NZ, not for phone calls only video calls up to now but they do look cheap call rates.
Would appreciate some help on this matter.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
RFCN2
post Mar 19 2012, 10:31 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50133

Movannernz - I cannot believe your laptop does not have wifi. Starting about 10 years ago they are on about 100% of all laptops. If you laptop is older than 2002 you might consider upgrading it. I am sure you can find a USB plug in wifi adapter very cheap. If I still had one I would send it to you.

Once you get a computer that will work with wifi I would suggest you try to just use public and park wifi. Most airports, libraries, Starbucks, many McDonalds, and most commercial RV parks have free or nearly free wifi here in the States. You need a fairly fast connection to get Skype to work right. I have used Skype for years. You need a very fast connection to get Skype video phone to work.

You can get a wireless internet connection, but for just over two months public wifi should work for you. If it does not you can pop into a phone store or electronics store and get a wireless internet dongle.

--------------------
Bob & Barbara
2002 Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2013 Airdale Terrier
+Quote Post
movannernz
post Mar 22 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 64534

QUOTE(RFCN2 @ Mar 20 2012, 05:31 PM) *

Movannernz - I cannot believe your laptop does not have wifi. Starting about 10 years ago they are on about 100% of all laptops. If you laptop is older than 2002 you might consider upgrading it. I am sure you can find a USB plug in wifi adapter very cheap. If I still had one I would send it to you.

Once you get a computer that will work with wifi I would suggest you try to just use public and park wifi. Most airports, libraries, Starbucks, many McDonalds, and most commercial RV parks have free or nearly free wifi here in the States. You need a fairly fast connection to get Skype to work right. I have used Skype for years. You need a very fast connection to get Skype video phone to work.

You can get a wireless internet connection, but for just over two months public wifi should work for you. If it does not you can pop into a phone store or electronics store and get a wireless internet dongle.

Thanks, RFCN2, took my computer in to where I bought it and they said that it is wifi, so that is all good. Only 5 weeks on Monday before we leave home so getting really excited about out trip now. I hear fuel is still going up in price which is not such good news though. Thanks Julie
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com