Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Security Precautions
joez
post Feb 16 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19489

I bet if you came to our campground you would not be able to tell which campers are permanent and which are over nighters. We are very strict about the sites not looking "lived in". We make everyone feel welcome, even if they turn their noses up at us.

I believe that yours is the exception to the rule. After more than 250 nights per year in our mh for the last five years, our experience is that commercial rv parks with a preponderance of permanents are either low income trailer parks with roaming dogs, unsupervised children and rusty appliances outside, or villages of semi permanent construction/oil field workers with multiple vehicles per site, or, in a few cases literally havens for real undesireables.

Being here long term allows us to get to know the permanent residents better than we do someone who is only here for a night or two. Our long term guests get to know each other and tend to look out for one another

In the best of majority permanent rv parks this very quality of "looking out for one another" can present issues for transients, especially if your stay is longer than just an overnight. Residents are understandably reluctant to allow visitors into their circle and management (even subconsiously) cannot help but favor their friends and cash flow providers. In some the cliques have been uncomfortable to be around and very clear in letting us know by comments and actions that we should leave as soon as possible. We have been told that we should not use a laundry on a particular day as Mrs. so and so (a resident) only had that day off work to do her laundry, or not to use our grill as Mr. X (who lived next to our transient site) had COPD and didn't like grill smoke.

Our experience has been that, even in really nice parks, a lot of permanent residents tend to make a transient's stay different from a park that is mostly transients.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Feb 16 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

OK, back to the original post about security. We have been fulltiming nine years and have found a great security system. Guard cats! We started out with my old cat Mikey and he died. Then it was Casey who we lost in Maine. Now we have Bill and Bob our attack trained guard cats and in all this time we have not had ONE security issue. Nothing has been stolen, we have not been attacked or accosted. Guard cats are the solution.

--------------------
We are now off the road but this is what we fulltimed in.
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
chowhound
post Feb 16 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41909

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Feb 14 2012, 08:06 PM) *

You may be correct. But read the bad reviews and a large number of them are about parks with long term residents with decaying rigs, junk all around and a general feeling that you are one bad step away from having a Ned Beatty kind of day.

I had forgotten that movie; In my opinion, the higher number of long term residents relative to transient campers makes for a less desirable (for the transient camper) environment. I am sure there are exceptions as dalsgal points out, but I just have not experienced it.
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Feb 16 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

This thread has already deteriorated from the OP, so here goes again.

Much has been said about the feelings/impressions travelers have for permanent residents at RV parks. Here is another take.

When we were building our house, we lived in our motorhome for 6 months. The park we were at had it all. Many permanent residents in double wides, park models, and RV’s; full timers, seasonal, and part timers in RV’s; and then there was a section for short term and overnighters. The permanent places were very well kept. We used to walk around the neighborhood to get ideas for landscaping our new place. It was that nice. Most of the people had regular “9-5” jobs, and were not seasonal or transient workers. We weren’t there long enough to really be part of any group, but we did meet and talk to some of the permanent people. There’s always another side to each situation, and it was certainly interesting to hear their take on the transients.

First, they didn’t care for the constant movement of vehicles in and out of spaces, and the accompanying noise--someone shouting directions at the driver; the straining of engines to move just an inch forward or onto leveling blocks, the commotion of setting up or breaking down camp, the slamming of doors and storage bins early in the morning and late at night, etc.

Also they believed the overnighters tended to make messes which they didn’t clean up (in the bathrooms and club house and at their campsite), and in general they did not respect the park’s property because this was not their “home” and someone else would clean it up. Along these lines, overnighters let their pets “go” on the residents’ lawns and didn’t pick up after them.

In our time there every member of the office staff was as nice as they could be and always responded quickly to our needs. However, they, too, talked about how demanding and rude overnighters sometimes were, complaining about the least little thing.

Finally, it has been mentioned that permanent residents can be cliquish and not friendly to transients. The people there felt just the opposite. They talked about groups of RVers that came there every year who would have nothing to do with anyone who was not in their group and that they tended to look down on the residents because they lived in an RV park.

Now I am sure that not every RVer acted this way. It was probably just a few bad apples, but this experience was an eye opener for us. We had no idea that permanent residents viewed overnighters (us!) any differently.

Now that we are in our house we are back to being travelers and staying in a park only a few nights at a time. We still prefer transient type parks simply because, as someone else said, our “vacation” schedule does not match well with their “daily living/work” schedule—not that one is better; they are just different. However, when we do stay at places that have permanent residents, I know we now have a much better understanding of how to be good neighbors.
+Quote Post
a.d
post Feb 17 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 55860

The Park itself is a reflection of the management. The management is a reflection of the owner or owners where the buck starts and stops.
+Quote Post
Wink
post Feb 27 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26986

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Feb 14 2012, 09:06 PM) *

You may be correct. But read the bad reviews and a large number of them are about parks with long term residents with decaying rigs, junk all around and a general feeling that you are one bad step away from having a Ned Beatty kind of day.

I call that a run down trailer park as I would call a run down stick built house neighborhood with a few over night sites. As with any neighborhood you will have good ones and bad ones.

--------------------
Home is where we park it.
+Quote Post
a.d
post Jan 19 2013, 09:39 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(a.d @ Feb 1 2012, 12:33 PM) *

I was recently asked while traveling in our R.V. with our grandchildren. How do we know the R.V. parks we stay at during our travels are safe? I did not know. So I started to ask around. In california you can go to the MEG--- L-W web site (free) use zip code of the park, search and scroll through looking for the parks street address. This way is time consuming but affective.The other way is to search by street address. Type in street address hit search then click on blue squares close to the red star. This method is a little more complicated but much quicker when mastered. PLEASE COMMENT ON ANY OTHER SECURITY PRECAUTIONS THAT CAN HELP.
A.D

ad 2013

Decided to start doing my home work a little early this year on places we want to go and see
and parks to stay at along the way.Suprising how much can change in a year.Was checking the meg----law website and found that some of the parks had APT numbers instead of space numbers. Thought maybe they dug up the parks and put up apartments. Jumped on the old map website and zeroed in and made a few calls. Meg----law website must be making a few mistakes, or getting wrong information. No apartments. still parks and spaces. This certainly is putting a crimp on my planning stage.

QUOTE(a.d @ Jan 19 2013, 07:37 PM) *

ad 2013

Decided to start doing my home work a little early this year on places we want to go and see
and parks to stay at along the way.Suprising how much can change in a year.Was checking the meg----law website and found that some of the parks had APT numbers instead of space numbers. Thought maybe they dug up the parks and put up apartments. Jumped on the old map website and zeroed in and made a few calls. Meg----law website must be making a few mistakes, or getting wrong information. No apartments. still parks and spaces. This certainly is putting a crimp on my planning stage.

+Quote Post
HappyCampers6
post Jan 25 2013, 10:23 PM
Post #23

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 74251

We prefer rv parks that don't have many or any permanent residents at all. It's a personal preference but we like to be around others that are on a vacation schedule as well. When we are looking at parks nearby we try to take time to go drive through the park before actually camping there. We also research, research, research....read reviews and carefully plan our trips. This makes for a much more pleasant camping experience for our family.
+Quote Post
docj
post Jan 26 2013, 06:13 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

QUOTE(HappyCampers6 @ Jan 26 2013, 12:23 AM) *

We prefer rv parks that don't have many or any permanent residents at all. It's a personal preference but we like to be around others that are on a vacation schedule as well. When we are looking at parks nearby we try to take time to go drive through the park before actually camping there. We also research, research, research....read reviews and carefully plan our trips. This makes for a much more pleasant camping experience for our family.

From our experiences during the past two years of full-timing, it is increasingly difficult to find CG's that don't have long term residents. There are lots of families living in RV parks these days including KOA's and other places where you might not expect them. Some I have met are there because its easier than obtaining an apartment for a short-term employment gig. It's likely that others are there because they've lost their homes during the Great Recession.

IMHO I don't care if someone is staying at a CG for a day or a year as long as they keep their site neat and don't bother me. Frankly, we've encountered obnoxious vacationers more frequently than we have unpleasant long-term residents. As for your desire to be with vacationers, I suspect you have no way of telling whether someone you describe as "permanent" is not simply someone who is staying for a month or more but who doesn't, necessarily, "live there" permanently. As retired, full-time RVers, we consider ourselves to be on permanent vacation but we may stay at some CG's for a few weeks or even a month or two at a time. Although our ages may be different than yours, I think we can be as pleasant as any other folks you may meet. Just because we have our plants, flags and bicycles out at our site, if you encounter us at a CG don't write us off as just more of "those permanent residents" you're trying to avoid. If you're looking only for CG's to be filled only with homogeneous collections of young families with children I think you're going to have a hard time finding them.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post
a.d
post Mar 19 2014, 04:29 PM
Post #25

Finished our planning stage,hope to get on the road soon. We started compiling data on parks and camp grounds. Have separate categories for our own personal planning. STAY AGAIN-DONT STAY AGAIN-IF IN A PINTCH STAY OVERNIGHT-WALMART.Some of the things we look for and look out for. Good customer service, cant say enough about that. Empty spaces being used for car washing and parking cars or passage ways for driving from street to street. If the park has active management making rounds threw the park or just money collectors. Broken down dilapidated awning tents and hoarders. Park is kept clean. If patrons of the park are allowed to run business with in the park. After long hours of driving, being awaking very early in the mourning by gardeners mowing the lawns. Dogs and cats roaming and crapping all over the park grounds even on the side walks and asphalt. Not saying any thing about pets. Just IRRESPONSIBLE pet owners. REMBER NOT EVERY ONE LOVES YOUR PET LIKE YOU DO OR DONT. DANGEROUS OUT OF DATE CHILD PLAY GROUND, SAND FULL OF CAT CRAP,OBJECTS STICKING OUT OF THE SAND. JUST NOT KEPT UP.. Advertising WIFI but it really dosent work and has not for some time, BUT THEY HAVE IT. Some internet sites allow park owners or management to post their own reviews of their park. OFTEN VERY MISLEADING. We depend on internet sites that have measures in place to stop or slow down this practice. HATS OFF TO YOU. It is a shame to hear that m-----g law has been compromised and is no longer reporting all the information on their address search for some of the parks.If the park is a second chance or placement park, Dont hide or mislead the public. Let the general public decide if they want to expose their families to the risk if any or not. We have found some county sheriff department internet sites are more accurate. REMBER BE SAFE, DRIVE THREW, LOOK, BEFORE YOU STAY.

AD
+Quote Post
OU geo
post Mar 20 2014, 02:13 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 52380

I am in full agreement with dalsgal, RanMan, Texasrvers, docj, and a few others. We (wife and I) are "full-timers", so I guess that means we are "permanent" or "long-term" residents wherever we go, doesn't it? Or, does that make us "permanently transient"? (I think Steinbeck used the term "Okies" to describe the latter from my own home state who became transients!)

We have been in our North Texas RV Park for a year and have 9 months to go before my retirement. In our S&B ($200K+ in Denton, TX) that we sold last year, we had 4 sex offenders in our immediate neighborhood - registered and "advertised" on the DPD website, one right down the street. When our next door neighbor passed away, his son moved in and started dealing illegal drugs from the house, trashed out the house and yard . . . all before he went to a court-ordered rehab! Yes, we had many visits and calls to the Denton police, and I got to know the Denton Code Enforcement people on a first name basis! Though the Executor did clean up the house next door, we were quite relieved when we quickly sold our house while "he" was in rehab!

So, don't condemn those who are "permanent residents" just because we "full-time" in our RVs. I can say that we have met and made friends with many more "permanent" and "transient" people than we ever did living in a S&B in various cities in the past 42 years! The park is what the management along with the residents make it! And the advice "If the situation looks iffy or bad, let your good sense guide you" will assist one in many ways! Personally, I would tend to avoid parks that have no permanent residents and poor management (as per the majority of the reviews). Why? Because those "transient" people are only at the park overnight or a day or two. If something is missing from my site, or from my storage basement (who doesn't have a CH751 key?), I don't think a permanent resident would be to blame. Why? Because they are PERMANENT . . . they are right down the street! It's that TRANSIENT that is here today, and gone tomorrow, that could take something and be gone! The permanent residents and good management don't want the park to be plagued by crime - that could affect them - so, yes, they (and we) do keep an eye out for misdeeds.

I know our park keeps a record of "problem transients". For example, the one big Class A that stayed three nights near the clubhouse. When they left, the whole area at the back of RV space was covered with "large dog leavings". It took maintenance an hour to clean the site and wash it down. And we have some transients who walk their dogs, and their dogs have left their "callings" at the end of our own site! One I watched, followed, and reported to the office - they were asked to leave within two hours (had to be out by 8pm). Besides, our park has been accused of being "full of permanents", yet we have fewer than 35% of the spaces occupied by RVs who have been parked more than 9 months! To accuse us of being "permanent", you have to be "permanent" yourself! We had one couple last August who came in for a week to visit Dallas, Six Flags, etc., and within two days, their site was trashed! Didn't make the rest of us "happy campers".

Whether in a S&B house, a mobile home, an apartment, an RV, or even in a tent . . . the best advice is to be aware of your surroundings and use your good sense. As I said, personally I like a RV park that has both permanent and transient occupants plus good management! It makes for a good experience and an overall safe environment. Ultimately, you are responsible for your own safety.
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Mar 20 2014, 04:32 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

I bought a $4.00 security system at Radio Shack. It is a small red flashing light that is run by 2 AA batteries and is about the same size as the two batteries. It has an on off switch and the tiny light. We turn it on when going to be or leaving the coach and leave it by the door on the counter. It can be seen front the outside and gives the appearance of a security system. They do sell motion alarms for RV's but they are in the $100 range,

--------------------
+Quote Post
a.d
post Mar 20 2014, 06:20 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Mar 20 2014, 03:32 PM) *

I bought a $4.00 security system at Radio Shack. It is a small red flashing light that is run by 2 AA batteries and is about the same size as the two batteries. It has an on off switch and the tiny light. We turn it on when going to be or leaving the coach and leave it by the door on the counter. It can be seen front the outside and gives the appearance of a security system. They do sell motion alarms for RV's but they are in the $100 range,

Thank you Lindsay Richards for staying with the what the thread is all about and the safty info.

ad
+Quote Post
a.d
post Mar 20 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(OU geo @ Mar 20 2014, 01:13 PM) *

I am in full agreement with dalsgal, RanMan, Texasrvers, docj, and a few others. We (wife and I) are "full-timers", so I guess that means we are "permanent" or "long-term" residents wherever we go, doesn't it? Or, does that make us "permanently transient"? (I think Steinbeck used the term "Okies" to describe the latter from my own home state who became transients!)

We have been in our North Texas RV Park for a year and have 9 months to go before my retirement. In our S&B ($200K+ in Denton, TX) that we sold last year, we had 4 sex offenders in our immediate neighborhood - registered and "advertised" on the DPD website, one right down the street. When our next door neighbor passed away, his son moved in and started dealing illegal drugs from the house, trashed out the house and yard . . . all before he went to a court-ordered rehab! Yes, we had many visits and calls to the Denton police, and I got to know the Denton Code Enforcement people on a first name basis! Though the Executor did clean up the house next door, we were quite relieved when we quickly sold our house while "he" was in rehab!

So, don't condemn those who are "permanent residents" just because we "full-time" in our RVs. I can say that we have met and made friends with many more "permanent" and "transient" people than we ever did living in a S&B in various cities in the past 42 years! The park is what the management along with the residents make it! And the advice "If the situation looks iffy or bad, let your good sense guide you" will assist one in many ways! Personally, I would tend to avoid parks that have no permanent residents and poor management (as per the majority of the reviews). Why? Because those "transient" people are only at the park overnight or a day or two. If something is missing from my site, or from my storage basement (who doesn't have a CH751 key?), I don't think a permanent resident would be to blame. Why? Because they are PERMANENT . . . they are right down the street! It's that TRANSIENT that is here today, and gone tomorrow, that could take something and be gone! The permanent residents and good management don't want the park to be plagued by crime - that could affect them - so, yes, they (and we) do keep an eye out for misdeeds.

I know our park keeps a record of "problem transients". For example, the one big Class A that stayed three nights near the clubhouse. When they left, the whole area at the back of RV space was covered with "large dog leavings". It took maintenance an hour to clean the site and wash it down. And we have some transients who walk their dogs, and their dogs have left their "callings" at the end of our own site! One I watched, followed, and reported to the office - they were asked to leave within two hours (had to be out by 8pm). Besides, our park has been accused of being "full of permanents", yet we have fewer than 35% of the spaces occupied by RVs who have been parked more than 9 months! To accuse us of being "permanent", you have to be "permanent" yourself! We had one couple last August who came in for a week to visit Dallas, Six Flags, etc., and within two days, their site was trashed! Didn't make the rest of us "happy campers".

Whether in a S&B house, a mobile home, an apartment, an RV, or even in a tent . . . the best advice is to be aware of your surroundings and use your good sense. As I said, personally I like a RV park that has both permanent and transient occupants plus good management! It makes for a good experience and an overall safe environment. Ultimately, you are responsible for your own safety.

Thank you OU qeo for your input. But lets not stray from the original thread. Seems when some read something they don't like, the first thing they try to do is change the thread like so many have in the past. Getting back to the original thread and my quotes. I do not recall and have chacked the original thread, about stating any thing about Long Term, Full Term and weakly -over night transient so as you called them. HAVE YOU READ THE ORIGINAL THREAD? It is nice to hear that you are tight with the park, Denton police and code inforcement, shows you care. The only reason rv park-camp ground is mentioned, that is what this forum is about. But might be nice if some one started a stick-brick forum. Thank you all again as us oke's say for your input on safty. What the thread is about!
+Quote Post
OU geo
post Mar 21 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 52380

QUOTE(a.d @ Mar 20 2014, 08:13 PM) *

Thank you OU qeo for your input. But lets not stray from the original thread. Seems when some read something they don't like, the first thing they try to do is change the thread like so many have in the past. Getting back to the original thread and my quotes. I do not recall and have chacked the original thread, about stating any thing about Long Term, Full Term and weakly -over night transient so as you called them. HAVE YOU READ THE ORIGINAL THREAD? It is nice to hear that you are tight with the park, Denton police and code inforcement, shows you care. The only reason rv park-camp ground is mentioned, that is what this forum is about. But might be nice if some one started a stick-brick forum. Thank you all again as us oke's say for your input on safty. What the thread is about!

A.d - Yes, I did read the all of the thread twice before replying. Actually, didn't think about replying until the second read! Your concerns are valid, and I thought I had addressed them within my reply. However, I do fully admit that I did stray off-topic to address what others had offered that was off-topic. For this, I do apologize.

But to return to the original post - have you considered simply calling the local (to the park) police and sheriff's department and inquire as to the "safety" of the park. We stayed once at an Oklahoma fairgrounds RV park, and I did this very thing - called the local police department. What I learned was that there had never been a single reported incident in the fairgrounds RV park and that the police patrolled it regularly. I also learned that the same could not be said for a state-run lake campground down the road a bit. Checking with local (to the park) law enforcement will give one a current "take" on the current safety of the area.

So, my apologies.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com