Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Firewood Woes
KentuckyCampin
post Mar 7 2012, 07:28 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 29148

Ok, how many of you on here have ran into this problem while out camping. With the introduction of the ash beetle, transportation of firewood between state lines is pretty much now a no-no. Here in KY, there are certain counties that you cannot move firewood into or out of.
Since my county is not in the restricted list of counties, and the counties we usually camp in here in KY are not affected, I can use my pile of wood here at home when we camp locally.
However last fall we went down and camped in FL, and of course, transportation of wood is prohibited, for good reasons.
So of course while out camping, we love to have a camp fire, besides, camping for a week in FL without a campfire, just isnt camping!! So we purchase a couple bundles of firewood from the camp store. Pretty expensive, at $8 a bundle, which was 6 pieces of wood per bundle! Well the wood was not seasoned and did nothing but smoke and would not burn hardly at all. So I took a trip to the local Home depot and picked up 2 of their bundles of fire wood.
Wouldnt you know it, same thing!!! So after spending close to $30 for unseasoned wood that performed like an indian smoke signal, we were pretty upset. Here in KY, you can get a pick up load of fire wood for $30, and I spent that much on 25-30 pieces of wood!!
So I took the unopened bundle of firewood back to Home Depot, and bought 8 2X4 studs. I already had a hand saw in the camper, so cut them up into 1' sections and burned them for firewood!! And they burned excellent, nice and hot and just your average smoke from a campfire!!
So now I have a new firewood when we go out of state or into a county that transportation of firewood is prohibited. The 2X4's are cheap, dry, burn awesome, and can be taken anywhere in the states, they dont take up much room, and they can be used as blocks to level the camper if need be!!!!
For you campers that have had this same problem, get you some 2X4's (non-treated) and cut them up for firewood!!!!!

--------------------
The Bakers
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2011 Jayco Jayflight swift 264BH

Camping, its not a hobby, its a way of life!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
RLM
post May 3 2012, 12:28 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8584

I've been using the Duraflame, or other brand, fireplace logs for sometime. They even have a product that you can roast or cook over. They are easy to transport, easy to start, and burn as well or better than real wood. Granted, you don't get the true outback feeling and smell from this 21st century camp fire, but there is a real convenience factor. I've found the price to be significantly lower during summer months when the fireplace market dries up.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com