2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rv Park/ Resort Safety, Security and Crime
Mid Life Trailers
post Apr 24 2012, 05:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 68103

I am in the beginning of planning my first long haul trip from the west coast to the east coast, along I-40. I have heard several things about alot of parks out there and wonder how much of this is true. Not knowing the area you are taking risks, are there anyone out there who may hvae had safety concerns along the interstate and how have you combated this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Texasrvers
post Apr 24 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

We have been RVing for 12 years and have never run into any trouble. I'm not sure what you've heard, but there are a lot of really good parks along I-40. Just choose reputable parks with good reviews and follow normal precautions. If a park looks run down and unsafe--drive on. You should be fine.
+Quote Post
joez
post Apr 25 2012, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19489

After more than 1200 nights in commercial rv parks, state parks, and COE areas in five years, I can honestly say that we never felt threatened, unsafe, or super vigilant while staying overnight. We have had some uncomfortable "vibes" at highway rest areas and truck stop parking lots when we stopped for short breaks, and one "incident" at a rest area, but we do not overnight there, so when the characters around us look shady we just move on.
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Apr 25 2012, 08:28 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

We have been fulltiming for over 9 years and have been down I-40 many times with no problems.

--------------------
We are now off the road but this is what we fulltimed in.
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
John Blue
post Apr 25 2012, 08:49 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 214

Over 14 years now with no problems anyplace in RV parks, rest stops, Flying-J, and a couple Walmart parking lots due to bad weather. I think you would be OK.

--------------------
John
Brandon, Fl.
FMCA F-248693
Foretravel MH
Honda CRV tow
+Quote Post
pianotuna
post Apr 25 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10403

Hi,

I've been camping since 1956. No problems ever anywhere.

--------------------
Regards,

Don
+Quote Post
mdcamping
post Apr 25 2012, 07:01 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14145

As Texasrvers pointed out, just choose reputable parks with the good reviews. With that said we found out the hard way ten yrs ago what happens when you don't properly research/check the reviews of a campground, since then have had nothing but great experiences!

Mike
+Quote Post
pdq
post Apr 26 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 26163

hi mid:

to help provide a better reply, can you elaborate on "I have heard several things about alot of parks out there and wonder how much of this is true": just what have you heard?

thanks
pdq

--------------------
+Quote Post
John S.
post Apr 26 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 207

Never had a problem in a park but then again I have not had one at my house either. I have had an issue in a fuel station while filling up and once in the middle of the day in a rest stop in NC. I will say that I do not really worry about it. It is second nature to be aware of my surroundings at all times. I have two pups who will bark if there is a noise or if someone is touching the RV too loudly. Then again, I have walked in some dark places and survived. I doubt that the perpetrator has that experience and knowledge is power. Also, a 40K pound motorhome is a pretty imposing sight if you are in a car and are bothering me too.

--------------------
John S.
2001 Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree
Jeep Wrangler Toad
+Quote Post
long haul
post Apr 27 2012, 07:43 AM
Post #10

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 68153

Always make sure all your items outside the RV are locked up such as bikes,chairs or portable BBQs. I have been at camps that others have reported those items stole. In one camp in Florida there was a late night scam that went as follows - a late night knock on victums RV door and someone saying that they had a fith wheel trailer with a bad circuit breaker and they needed $20 cash to buy a new one they would repay the victum in the morning.
With the these hard times small time crooks are on the job so always use common sense and your trip will be fun and trouble free.
+Quote Post
FosterImposters
post Apr 27 2012, 09:57 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17719

QUOTE(Mid Life Trailers @ Apr 24 2012, 04:38 PM) *

I am in the beginning of planning my first long haul trip from the west coast to the east coast, along I-40...

Although we've not been east of Oklahoma City on I-40 in a motorhome, (heading north on 1-35 at that junction), I can personally vouch for the trip west. You will pass through some amazing country and history. My DH particularly likes I-40 as the state of Texas doesn't seem quite so large... laugh.gif
Plot your driving distances to put you in generally rated 7 and above RV Parks along the way. 99% of those parks have management that will make you feel welcomed, comfortable and safe.
Enjoy your trip!
Cheers cool.gif
+Quote Post
joez
post Apr 27 2012, 10:43 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19489

Always make sure all your items outside the RV are locked up such as bikes,chairs or portable BBQs.

What a royal pain that would be. The only time we even think about putting stuff away like that is when we are at a state/county/city park where day use visitors have easy access. But since we rarely stay in those, we simply let the stuff out and do not worry about it. When the time comes when we cannot, we will have to find another way to travel, I guess.
+Quote Post
JBH
post Apr 28 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14541

With the exception of the west coast end of 40, I would not have any concerns...California is the only state on the route that doesn't believe I have the right to protect myself or my property... blink.gif
+Quote Post
Florida Native
post Apr 29 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4762

We have camped in all of the lower 48 and only had one problem. This was at a Wal-Mart outside Washington, DC. We saw what appeared to be a drug dealer in a truck camper selling drugs. We moved to the other side of the lot and informed the security guy. The deals continued on unabated, but we were fine. I carry a shot gun with a pistol grip in the coach and a small pistol in the truck. I also have a NRA sticker on my window next to the door which I think scares away robbers. I also purchased a "fake" security system from Radio Shack. It is a small flashing red light run by 2 AA batteries and is just a little bit bigger than the batteries themselves. i place it next to the door and it flashes all night making robbers think we have a security system. It was about $3.

--------------------
Lindsay Richards
http://www.linandnancy.com
Formerly Lindsay Richards
+Quote Post
NYDutch
post Apr 29 2012, 10:10 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 35147

I've heard several police officers in personal safety courses say that having NRA stickers on your home or vehicles is an invitation to thieves looking for guns. I've also read a number of reports about the stickers on cars and RV's prompting extended searches when entering Canada. I have nothing against NRA membership, but I can see where being a bit discreet about it might be advantageous.

--------------------
Dutch
Somewhere in the US or Canada
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com