Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Traffic/train Noise, Report or Not?
MaineDon
post Jul 24 2012, 10:37 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10707

The issue of reporting campground noise from trains or traffic has been raised in other threads (see Do Your Research or Considerations When Rating). Others have suggested that this is not appropriate since (1) park owners can't do anything to control such noise, or (2) one should be able to judge noise level given proximity to highways or tracks. I am not certain that I agree with this position. Our RV travel is now mostly cross-country, comprising a series of 6-7 hour driving days. Thus, getting a good night's sleep is important. Our experience has been that proximity to tracks or apparent distance off a highway are not always reliable predictors of park noise. Several years ago, we stayed in a park near Asheville, NC, where the tracks were over a mile away from the campground, but we found ourselves on the opposite side of a valley from the tracks and the noise reverberated! The trains ran and honked incessantly all night and we got very little sleep. Alternately, we stayed at a park in SE Arizona where the tracks were far closer to the campground than in Asheville, but there were no crossings nearby (i.e., no honking), and the train noise was minimal. We read a comment stating this on RV Park Reviews and it was helpful in selecting this park. We've had the same experience with traffic noise. In Colorado, we stayed in a park that was only two short blocks off busy Interstate #70, but was described in a review as "Close to the highway, but nice and quiet". When we got there, we found that a hill separated the park from the highway and traffic noise was not a problem. Alternately, crossing Iowa on Interstate #80 two summers ago, we selected a park that, from Trailer Life's description, sounded as if it were several miles off the Interstate. But by the time we followed the driving instructions (Turn right....Angle left......1/2 mile on ***** Road, enter on the Left, etc.) we had driven in a large U and were right back on Interstate #80. The noise was horrible. Perhaps, traffic/train noise should not be factored in to the Overall Rating for a park (because owners can't do much about it?), but it is certainly helpful for us to be forewarned when a park is noisy from these sources versus when train/traffic noise is not a problem.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
GandJ
post Aug 9 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 64530

First of all, a huge and heartfelt thank-you-very-much to those who take the time to write campground reviews. They are greatly appreciated!

-and-

YES! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include references to train and traffic noise when doing campground reviews. Although the occasional train whistle off in the distance is quite enjoyable, being shaken and rattled out of our bed several times a night by close-passing trains a deal breaker for us. Such was the case at one of the campgrounds in the Williamsburg, VA area. Nice place and nice people, but we won't be back due to the train noise.

While you're at it, for those of us who do on occasion need to use the campground showers: Would you also please include in reviews whether the showers have LATCHABLE doors or just a shower curtain. Was recently on the receiving end of a "Lookie Lou" incident in a shower which had only a curtain. Yikes!
+Quote Post
FosterImposters
post Aug 9 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17719

QUOTE(GandJ @ Aug 9 2012, 11:48 AM) *

...recently on the receiving end of a "Lookie Lou" incident in a shower which had only a curtain. Yikes!

ohmy.gif
Yikes indeed! I had this happen in our travels, but it was the little kids while their Mom was showering. All I had to do was say: "Where is you Mom?" and their mother was on them like a duck on june bugs. (Pechanga RV Resort, Temecula California, January 2007) .
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
MaineDon   Traffic/train Noise   Jul 24 2012, 10:37 AM
fpullanosr   Train and traffic noise affects people differently...   Jul 24 2012, 10:56 AM
wprigge   Just like MaineDon, (Hi neighbour!), we like t...   Jul 24 2012, 11:51 AM
John Blue   I add this information into the review. If a pers...   Jul 24 2012, 12:46 PM
Texasrvers   Please note that trains last used whistles on ste...   Jul 31 2012, 06:46 PM
Fitzjohnfan   The noise issue is obviously important for a good ...   Jul 24 2012, 01:47 PM
joez   IMO, whether a business has control or not has n...   Jul 25 2012, 06:12 AM
nedmtnman   I would like to know about train and or road noise...   Jul 25 2012, 10:52 AM
Nolan   I would like to know about train and or road nois...   Jul 25 2012, 04:59 PM
Lindsay Richards   We always include these in our reviews they a prob...   Jul 25 2012, 08:24 PM
WaterBoy   Just joined this board and posted two reviews befo...   Jul 25 2012, 11:16 PM
rgatijnet   I was staying at a park in Dillon, SC, right off o...   Jul 31 2012, 01:53 PM
jamarynn1   By all means, noise should be mentioned in the rev...   Jul 31 2012, 06:03 PM
B. Kidd   Hey MaineD! I have 90% hearing loss in my rig...   Jul 31 2012, 06:57 PM
US Travelers   We just came back from our second nationwide trip ...   Jul 31 2012, 08:11 PM
edcornflake   You should definitely mention it, and be reasonabl...   Aug 1 2012, 11:08 AM
Wink   I love train noise if it is N & S Corp. It re...   Aug 2 2012, 02:21 PM
a.d   I believe that noise reporting is very inportant ....   Aug 2 2012, 03:44 PM
mdcamping   If I notice there's a noise issue whether its ...   Aug 2 2012, 06:11 PM
jan-n-john   If I notice there's a noise issue whether its...   Aug 3 2012, 12:44 PM
RLM   IMO, reviews on this website aren't a place t...   Aug 6 2012, 09:00 AM
dalsgal   I agree that the noise should be commented on. Wi...   Aug 3 2012, 02:34 PM
MaineDon   I am happy to see that there seems to be a consens...   Aug 4 2012, 05:26 PM
B. Kidd   A retired train engineer that I met a few years ag...   Aug 4 2012, 07:07 PM
dalsgal   A retired train engineer that I met a few years a...   Aug 5 2012, 05:33 AM
mdcamping   For a few months we had an engineer that would st...   Aug 5 2012, 12:32 PM
B. Kidd   Sounds like he had to much coffee!! :D ...   Aug 5 2012, 05:28 PM
dalsgal   We always thought he might have an ex that he was ...   Aug 5 2012, 06:12 PM
Jerry S.   Generally, I will comment on train or traffic nois...   Aug 5 2012, 10:29 PM
mdcamping   I certainly agree this web site is no place for ve...   Aug 6 2012, 07:37 PM
GandJ   First of all, a huge and heartfelt thank-you-very-...   Aug 9 2012, 12:48 PM
FosterImposters   ...recently on the receiving end of a "Look...   Aug 9 2012, 01:09 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com