Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Snow??, West Yellowstone
jmcf46
post Aug 6 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 59128

I'm thinking of traveling out to West Yellowstone this September and leaving around the end of October.

I'm curious when you should worry about being caught in a snowstorm. Do they get any in October?

Scares me to death the thought of driving down a mountain on snowy/icy roads towing a 5th wheeler.

Jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Texasrvers
post Aug 6 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

You can never say for sure what the weather will be like anywhere. We wanted to go to Glacier NP and back through Yellowstone in the fall of 2010, but we could not get away until the middle of Sept. “People” told us that would be too late to go because it would be cold and possibly snowing, so we opted for Gunnison, Moab and Durango. We kept an eye on the Glacier weather, and it was great the whole time we would have been there. We almost headed out for there anyway.

Then last year we decided to try Glacier/Yellowstone again. We were in Glacier around the middle of Sept. and again the weather was wonderful, even a little unseasonably warm. We had cool, but not real cold nights (maybe 1-2 light freezes). We got to Yellowstone around the end of Sept and were there through the first part of Oct., and again the weather was fantastic and on the warm side. It was so warm, in fact, that the elk had not yet come down from the high country, so we missed seeing them, and other animals were not moving around very much either because of the heat.

But that was the last two years. This year they may get snow very early. Even so, in talking to the locals, they told us that if they do get an early snow, it is not very big, and usually the weather warms up again quickly, so it does not stay on the roadways. We figured if it did snow we could “hunker down” and enjoy it for a few days. I also think if you watch the weather closely, you will have enough warning to leave before bad weather gets there. If you do go, have a great trip. It is a beautiful area.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com