Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Snow??, West Yellowstone
jmcf46
post Aug 6 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 59128

I'm thinking of traveling out to West Yellowstone this September and leaving around the end of October.

I'm curious when you should worry about being caught in a snowstorm. Do they get any in October?

Scares me to death the thought of driving down a mountain on snowy/icy roads towing a 5th wheeler.

Jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
rgatijnet
post Aug 7 2012, 08:58 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 28648

Last year, in mid October, we drove through a blizzard on I80 across Wyoming. We had some cold rain/ice pellets the week prior in West Yellowstone. We travel most years out West in the Wintertime and although we watch the weather, we do occasionally get caught in the snow.
We have spent January in the Grand Canyon RV Park and shared it with the deer and only a few other campers. From there, we drove over to Bryce and Zion National Parks. The facts are that from September on, you can get caught in Snow at any time in the Western mountains. I always carry tire chains with me, even though we try to avoid driving on heavily snow covered roads. The chains are used primarily to get in to RV parks and out of them during the Winter. A lot of parks do not have provisions to remove a lot of snow quickly and unless we want to be stranded for a week or more, I just put on the chains and head out towards our next destination.
Anyone that has traveled during the Winter months knows that the world does not shut down when it snows. People still go to work and trucks still make deliveries. What we do is watch the weather and try to avoid the worst storms. When we do get caught in some snow, I just drive carefully, leave a large gap between me and the vehicle in front, and enjoy our travels. biggrin.gif
Those that don't like snow in the Winter travel to our home state of Florida. We leave and head out to where we know we will probably run into snow.
We are in a Class A and towing a vehicle behind us.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com