RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Leaving The Toad At Home, Car sharing service.
rvingwithkids
post Sep 10 2012, 12:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2013

I've been thinking about leaving the toad at home and trying the Zipcar car sharing service. I'm just wondering if other's have tried this, and if there are enough Zip cars out threw yet. Has anyone else noticed Zipcars on their trips or has anyone else used their car sharing service?

Perhaps park owners should try to get Zipcar to put cars at RV Parks!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
pianotuna
post Sep 10 2012, 12:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10403

Hi,

The concept is nice--but at over $7 per hour or $73 per day a regular car rental would seem to make more sense.

I do know of one KOA near Mount Rushmore that has rental cars available.

--------------------
Regards,

Don
+Quote Post
Wink
post Sep 10 2012, 12:22 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26986

QUOTE(rvingwithkids @ Sep 10 2012, 12:14 PM) *

I've been thinking about leaving the toad at home and trying the Zipcar car sharing service. I'm just wondering if other's have tried this, and if there are enough Zip cars out threw yet. Has anyone else noticed Zipcars on their trips or has anyone else used their car sharing service?

I am not sure I would do that.As I see a lot of things wrong with it like the insurance and car is in your name.Some camper get`s drunk wrecks your car and kills or hurts someone bad.You are responsible for who is driving your car.You can be sued as you gave the permision to drive it.

Someone that knows law tell me if I am wrong.

--------------------
Home is where we park it.
+Quote Post
DXSMac
post Sep 10 2012, 02:17 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16651

I travel without a tow car. I often use Enterprise Rental Car because they will deliver the car to you. I spent all last winter in Atlanta, GA, which does have the Zip Car. I considered using Zip Car, but the "start up" costs are a bit high. Something like $50 or $70 or something to just "join."

The daily rate was less then Enterprise, but the joining costs, and other fees made it financially better to just rent a car from Enterprise. Besides, at the time, Enterprise was offering some great "winter specials" that made it more lucrative than Zip Car.

Oh, even though it's called a "car sharing" service, you aren't really using someone "else's" car. The cars, to my knowledge, are owned or leased by Zip Car. It's just that Zip Car allows an hourly rate, or small trip rate, or something that the rental car companies don't allow.

Also, Zip Car is only found in MAJOR MAJOR cities, not the lesser cities. If you lived in, oh, Seattle, New York, or Los Angeles, Zip Car would be cheaper than owning a car! In Atlanta, between using MARTA and Zip Car, you could get to a Zip Car if you lived in the metropolitan area and not outside the perimeter.

Check out my blog for ideas on how to get around when you don't have a tow car.

QUOTE(rvingwithkids @ Sep 10 2012, 10:14 AM) *

I like this idea. Zip Car locating cars at RV parks would be more ideal than having one leased from a rental car company. You would still have to join Zip Car and reserve it through Zip Car. But the down side is the RV park would want to make a small profit on it, just like RV parks that sell propane at prices higher than the gas station down the road. But, it might be a good idea.

--------------------
JJ from Pacific Northwest

Check out my blog on TOADLESS RVing!
http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me some suggestions.
+Quote Post
John Blue
post Sep 10 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 214

We take the tow everyplace we travel to with our motorhome. As we travel by air, ship, and Amtrak trains inside the USA we use Enterprise Rental Car services. So far great service and cars. Cost less to use Enterprise one way service from Tampa to travel down to Fort Lauderdale than fly down. Turn the car in and Enterprise will take you to the ship that is across the road. In Seattle Enterprise took wife and I to train station and did a pick up service at Ferry boat. What a nice way to travel. smile.gif

--------------------
John
Brandon, Fl.
FMCA F-248693
Foretravel MH
Honda CRV tow
+Quote Post
GandJ
post Sep 10 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 64530

I like the ZipCar concept.

There have been quite a few unhappy posts lately about the DC ZipCar franchise. Don't know if the same is true everywhere though.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/zipcar-washington-3

--------------------
It's always the batteries!
+Quote Post
Webmaster
post Sep 11 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #7

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I've been looking at their coverage, and it looks like so far Zipcar has big cities and then lots of smaller cities and towns with colleges covered. It looks like you could probably go tailgating and use Zipcar to get around.

--------------------
Webmaster
RV Park Reviews
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com