RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Slides Or No Slides, Is It A Deal Breaker?, What is your preference?
Fitzjohnfan
post Oct 1 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41655

After one of the readers asked about motor homes without slides, A popular motor home magazine posted a question to their readers: When you purchased your current coach and when you purchase your next coach, what is your preference to have slide outs or not? The magazine did a good job of posting replies from both sides and it looked like a 50/50 split, but the letters posted might have been carefully selected to show both sides evenly.

It's understood that slides are great for adding room and livability to the RV, but they can have mechanical problems and add weight and cost to the RV.

So how do you feel?

My opinion is that my next coach would not have any slide outs. I can set up very quickly without setting out levelers or supports, and I don't have to worry about the slide(s) not retracting or leaking. I had a pop-up trailer in between my two motor homes, and I loved the portability of the unit, but I hated the setup time and vowed to keep set-up as simple as possible with my next unit. Also, all my cabinets and features are available all the time without having to extend any slide.

--------------------
Chris G.
FMCA: F3508-S
1989 32' Southwind MH
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
NYDutch
post Oct 1 2012, 08:20 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 35147

We've been very happy with our current no-slides coach. We've looked at a number of newer units with slides, and we've pretty much determined that the only real advantage for us would be the additional space from a living area slide would make it easier to walk around our dog when she's stretched out on the floor. That hardly seems worth the potential problems.

--------------------
Dutch
Somewhere in the US or Canada
+Quote Post
Denali
post Oct 2 2012, 09:29 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2163

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Oct 1 2012, 07:20 AM) *

We've been very happy with our current no-slides coach. We've looked at a number of newer units with slides, and we've pretty much determined that the only real advantage for us would be the additional space from a living area slide would make it easier to walk around our dog when she's stretched out on the floor. That hardly seems worth the potential problems.
That's exactly the reason we traded in a coach with one living room slide for one with two (plus the bedroom slideout). We were tired of tripping over the dog!

Even now, after eight years of living in this rig, after each day of travel we still say "Wow!" when we push the buttons to open the two front slideouts and see the width of our kitchen/dining/living room expand from eight feet to twelve feet.

In our three rigs with slideouts we have had one slideout clutch fail in the fiver and one hydraulic leak in the actuator for one of the slides in the current rig. Compared to all the other mechanical misadventures we have had in well over 100,000 miles on the road, these have been trivial. The only leak we have had was quickly fixed when that coach was under warranty.

In any case, I think the market has spoken. For years now, you would have to select a pretty small rig to get one without slides.

--------------------
Dave Rudisill
Fulltimer since 2002
2004 Beaver Monterey
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com