Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Forum English Vs Review English
RLM
post Oct 3 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8584

I am fairly certain that those who post on the forum also post to the campground review pages.

I was just reading some campground reviews and noticed a difference in writing techniques. Most forum posts appear to be well written, grammatically correct, easily understood, and convey information quite effectively. But many campground reviews are not even close to what I read here on the forum. When one reads the review comments they sound choppy and abbreviated. It's like the writer thinks that there isn't enough space to make a complete sentence in the review so they throw out any noun/verb combinations. The lack of web space cannot be true, because I have also read some very nicely written reviews that comply with basic English 101 techniques.

Assuming that an individual makes posts in both places, it's like a Jekyll and Hyde situation. Why does a person communicate well on the forum and then use grammar and sentence structure that would be graded an F by any self-respecting 5th grade English teacher?

I'm not an English teacher nor am not trying to offend anyone or change the 'system.' I am most likely an offender myself. It was just an observation and I was wondering why the difference.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jerry S
post Oct 6 2012, 08:14 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10441

I tend to agree with Fitzjohnfan that there are many posters who don't read and/or post to the forum. I also agree with RLM's self admonition as I also make plenty of mistakes myself. We all make some mistakes. Some of these mistakes are just momentary lapses and others are errors that we repeat often. For example, we may occasionaly misspell a word but also always spell some words incorrectly all the time. Unlike RLM, I think I see as many of these "english" mistakes in posts as in reviews. My two favorite areas are: 1) misuse of the words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings (to, too, two; there, their; hear, here; etc.). It is sadly surprising how often I have seen these words used incorrectly. 2) plural/singular nouns used incorrectly with singular/plural verbs. Examples: "It are" and "they is". Again. I see this error often. While it is true that some mistakes are "typos", I do remember one poster a couple years ago who kept spelling the word "people" in his posts as "peaple". He did this at least 3 or 4 times. I had to check the keyboard just to make sure it couldn't be a "typo". The guy just didn't know how to spell "people".
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com