> 14 Day Round Trip From Denver
Jerry S
post Mar 13 2013, 10:30 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10441

Just a quick note before you finalized your route:

I checked the Zion National Park website concerning the "too big for the tunnel" problem. The site says that RVs over 40' long and/or over 13'1" tall cannot fit through the tunnel at all. So, if your rental RV is "only" 40' long and less than 13'1" tall, you may be able to fit through the tunnel. Personally, I'd error on the side of safety.

Even if you can't take the more direct route from Zion to Bryce Canyon National Park due to the size of your RV, you should still take the longer route (UT9 to UT17 to I15 to UT14 to US89 to UT12) and visit Bryce. You should be able to do the longer route in about 3 hours unless you take a 1-2 hour side trip through Cedar Breaks National Monument. There are 3 fantastic viewpoints from above 10,000' elevation. CBNM is just off UT14 about 20 miles west of Cedar City, UT.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jerry S
post Mar 27 2013, 10:42 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Hey Adam,

You haven't posted in a couple weeks. Are you still making plans for your summer trip? Do you need any more suggestions and/or advice?
+Quote Post
adamabz
post Mar 28 2013, 03:39 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 77249

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Mar 28 2013, 0:42 AM) *

Hey Adam,

You haven't posted in a couple weeks. Are you still making plans for your summer trip? Do you need any more suggestions and/or advice?

Hi Jerry, the other guys that are coming with me are away on vacation, so planning on hold for a month.
If i need more advice which Im sure i will i will post.
Thank Adam.
+Quote Post
jamarynn1
post Apr 1 2013, 09:01 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45805

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Mar 13 2013, 11:30 PM) *

Just a quick note before you finalized your route:

I checked the Zion National Park website concerning the "too big for the tunnel" problem. The site says that RVs over 40' long and/or over 13'1" tall cannot fit through the tunnel at all. So, if your rental RV is "only" 40' long and less than 13'1" tall, you may be able to fit through the tunnel. Personally, I'd error on the side of safety.

You want to be darned careful that you're within the length and height restrictions, because if you get up there to the mouth of the tunnel and the attendant won't let you through, there's no place to turn around. I don't know what they do when that happens. I was talking to a lady in the park who said that the guys at the park entry told her that she was OK to go through, and she paid the fee (you must pay a fee because they have to stop traffic coming from the other direction, as you have to drive down the middle of the tunnel) and when she got to the mouth of the tunnel, the attendant refused her entry. She argued with him and showed him her permit and he reluctantly let her through. She said she was sweating bricks at the fear he'd refuse to let her go. We're 39' long and 13'1" high and there's NO WAY we'd try that. It's fun driving through in a truck, though.
+Quote Post
Jerry S
post Apr 1 2013, 10:12 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Hi Adam,

Even though you are not in need of any more advice/suggestions right now, I'll just continue with my ideas while I have the time. By the end of this month, I am hoping to be busy with my own planning.

Three weeks ago we had you at the Grand Canyon. Hopefully, you will be able to get an RV site at the Grand Canyon Trailer Park in the national park. From there you should be able to make it to Las Vegas in 5 hours or so. That will allow you enough time to stop and see Hoover Dam on the way. As previously suggested, I think the Circus Circus KOA is your best bet in Las Vegas for somebody without a car. From Las Vegas it's on to Zion National Park. Again, if you can, try to get into Zion Canyon Campground and RV Park in Springdale, UT. It is just outside ZNP and withing walking distance of the ZNP Visitor Center. If you go from ZNP to Bryce Canyon National Park, I would suggest you try to get a reservation as Ruby's Inn Campground a few miles outside BCNP. During the summer season there is a shuttle bus that goes from Ruby's to the national park and you can use it to see the entire park. Again, you won't need to be driving the 40' RV through the national park trying to find parking in the often full overlook parking lots.

If you decide to go east from Bryce to Capital Reef NP and then further east to Canyonlands NP and Arches NP, I have RV park suggestions for those areas also.
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post Apr 2 2013, 09:15 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Apr 1 2013, 08:01 PM) *

You want to be darned careful that you're within the length and height restrictions, because if you get up there to the mouth of the tunnel and the attendant won't let you through, there's no place to turn around. I don't know what they do when that happens. I was talking to a lady in the park who said that the guys at the park entry told her that she was OK to go through, and she paid the fee (you must pay a fee because they have to stop traffic coming from the other direction, as you have to drive down the middle of the tunnel) and when she got to the mouth of the tunnel, the attendant refused her entry. She argued with him and showed him her permit and he reluctantly let her through. She said she was sweating bricks at the fear he'd refuse to let her go. We're 39' long and 13'1" high and there's NO WAY we'd try that. It's fun driving through in a truck, though.

When you enter the park the gate attendant has a set of lines drawn on the road that measures the length of your rig. That is how they determine if you are legal. If you are within the lines you are ok. If over the lines they tell you you can't go and put a sticker on your windshield.

--------------------
We are now off the road but this is what we fulltimed in.
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
edcornflake
post Apr 2 2013, 11:12 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 42869

I really like reading all the collaborative planning being done here. In a few years when my kids are old enough to appreciate it, I'm hoping to drive from NJ to Yellowstone with plenty of historic/scenic stops along the way (I mentioned this as a possibility in another thread) and will be looking for similar support from my RVParkReview friends!

Adam,
When you finish with this trip, i'd love to see a link to pictures! Congrats on your decision to take such a splendid vacation in the US.
+Quote Post
rkw99
post Apr 2 2013, 03:00 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 61121

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Apr 2 2013, 11:12 AM) *

I really like reading all the collaborative planning being done here. In a few years when my kids are old enough to appreciate it, I'm hoping to drive from NJ to Yellowstone with plenty of historic/scenic stops along the way (I mentioned this as a possibility in another thread) and will be looking for similar support from my RVParkReview friends!

Adam,
When you finish with this trip, i'd love to see a link to pictures! Congrats on your decision to take such a splendid vacation in the US.

Ed, when you plan your trip make sure to post your route. because we too are waiting till our kids are old enough to appreciate Yellowstone (but not too old to be bored with it). And we are in NJ also! We stay pretty local for now.
+Quote Post
edcornflake
post Apr 4 2013, 11:01 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 42869

QUOTE(rkw99 @ Apr 2 2013, 05:00 PM) *

Ed, when you plan your trip make sure to post your route. because we too are waiting till our kids are old enough to appreciate Yellowstone (but not too old to be bored with it). And we are in NJ also! We stay pretty local for now.

RKW, I absoluty will do that. I think we're going back to WDW in Florida next year (pretty straight shot down 95). I'm hoping that the year after that will be the time to take 2 + weeks off and see a whole big bunch of the country (as much as a non retired RVer can see in 2 weeks, anyway).
+Quote Post
adamabz
post Jun 24 2013, 07:13 AM
Post #25

Hi Again everybody,
Just over 3 weeks until we fly to Denver.
We have decided to stay in colorado springs for 2 nights, can any of you recommend a good RV park to stay at thats close to the attractions, i have looked at the garden of the goods but have seen bad reviews and also fountain creek!!
As i have stated above we do not have a car so will be relying on public transport, walking or hiring a car if we like the look of something that is a little to far to walk..
After Colorado springs we have a rough route but are not pre-booking any RV parks so we are not tied to getting places at a certain time, just in case we see something on route that we like the look of, all we know is we are heading towards sanat fa after the springs.......
+Quote Post
Jerry S
post Jun 25 2013, 10:03 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Hi again Adam,

I'm glad to hear that your trip is still on. Unfortunately, I cannot give you a recommendation for any of the parks in Colorado Springs. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have stayed at the KOA 10 miles south in Fountain and the Pueblo South KOA at Colorado City another 60 miles to the south. These parks are too far away from any Colorado Springs attractions you may want to see considering your "carless" situation. You could try contacting some of the Colorado Springs parks (Garden of the Gods, Fountain Creek, etc.) to see if they have any type of shuttle to these places or know of convenient public transportation to any sights you may want to see. It is possible that they could advise you on how to get to places like the Pike's Peak Cog Railway, Garden of the Gods, etc. without a car.

Are you still planning on going all the way out to Las Vegas and then back to Denver?

Good Luck.
+Quote Post
adamabz
post Jun 26 2013, 05:42 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Jun 26 2013, 05:03 AM) *

Hi again Adam,

I'm glad to hear that your trip is still on. Unfortunately, I cannot give you a recommendation for any of the parks in Colorado Springs. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have stayed at the KOA 10 miles south in Fountain and the Pueblo South KOA at Colorado City another 60 miles to the south. These parks are too far away from any Colorado Springs attractions you may want to see considering your "carless" situation. You could try contacting some of the Colorado Springs parks (Garden of the Gods, Fountain Creek, etc.) to see if they have any type of shuttle to these places or know of convenient public transportation to any sights you may want to see. It is possible that they could advise you on how to get to places like the Pike's Peak Cog Railway, Garden of the Gods, etc. without a car.

Are you still planning on going all the way out to Las Vegas and then back to Denver?

Good Luck.

hi Gerry
Have spoken to garden of the God's and they have advised that there is local transport but I have heard mixed reviews about this place. If the attraction are within a few miles we would walk. Even using a taxi would be an option
yes we are still heading to Las Vegas.
Adam.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com