RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Future Of Wi Fi In Campgrounds
Bearcat
post Mar 13 2013, 04:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 77152

I know that this issue was brought up in another thread about charging for wi-fi, but, this is a different issue. I called a campground to inquire about space,price, and of course wi-fi.

When I got to the last question about wi-fi, the answer caught me off guard.

Me: Do you have wi-fi?

CG: Yes, for now.

Me: umm, what do you mean? I was thinking that they can't pay their bills or ________.

CG: We've been having problems with illegal downloads of music and sometimes movies. We might have to cancel or restrict sites.

Me: Oh, I got it.

Ok , so why am I posting this thread. I really would hate to see campgrounds start cancelling wi-fi because of this unspoken (hush hush) problem.

Some people might reply and say something like, I don't think the CG will want to lose customers. Well that might be true, but, they are business owners that don't want problems either.

This is only a FYI thread ( nothing more!!)

We know that this issue will continue for many years, I'm only saying that if people want to do this, then they should at least protect the park.

What do I mean? seeing that this is an open forum, I don't think I should give out the program (solution). Unless I'm requested to do so. ( or maybe by PM)

How do I know about this? My son was doing this at his mothers house, she got a {not so nice threat letter} from the internet service. I always wondered how he got 1,900 songs on his Ipod with no job or credit card. lol,lol He lied at first and said he got them from his friend down the street. Lol, well your friend has no job either.

I researched this issue for about 2 days, and I found out what he did wrong. He was not protecting his IP address while downloading. Hint!

I know this is a sensitive post, but, it's happening every day in every CG.

Some parents might ask- Are their warning signs I should look out for? Yes, but let's wait and see if this post goes anywhere.

--------------------
Full Time RV'er
Former Business owner
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
pianotuna
post Mar 15 2013, 08:44 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10403

Hi,

Wifi in campgrounds is going to be hard pressed. It is not uncommon for folks to have 3 or 4 devices--so what was once a system for convenience and email, is now overloaded. For example if "patch Tuesday" happens and there are 300 devices a huge amount of bandwidth is going to have to be paid for. We can't expect the campground to "swallow" these costs--so they will be "built in" to the cost of a site.

You can imagine how unpopular a campground owner might be if he all of a sudden limited electrical use to just 15 amps.

Copying is a gray area.

"U.S. copyright law (Title 17 of the United States Code) generally says that making a copy of an original work, if conducted without the consent of the copyright owner, is infringement. The law makes no explicit grant or denial of a right to make a "personal use" copy of another's copyrighted content on one's own digital media and devices. For example, space shifting, by making a copy of a personally-owned audio CD for transfer to an MP3 player for that person's personal use, is not explicitly allowed or forbidden."

--------------------
Regards,

Don
+Quote Post
docj
post Mar 16 2013, 11:35 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Mar 15 2013, 09:44 PM) *

Wifi in campgrounds is going to be hard pressed. It is not uncommon for folks to have 3 or 4 devices--so what was once a system for convenience and email, is now overloaded. For example if "patch Tuesday" happens and there are 300 devices a huge amount of bandwidth is going to have to be paid for. We can't expect the campground to "swallow" these costs--so they will be "built in" to the cost of a site.

From what I've heard from campground owners and managers, a serious issue is that away from big cities it may be impossible for the CG to obtain an internet connection with sufficient bandwidth to meet the desires of its customers. In rural areas neither DSL nor cable may be available and multiple T1 connections can be costly and still may not provide the desired bandwidth.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
RVbailman   The Future Of Wi Fi In Campgrounds   Mar 13 2013, 04:07 PM
DXSMac   Um..... you can also "rip" those songs d...   Mar 14 2013, 01:58 PM
RVbailman   Yes your correct- ripping is legal and very common...   Mar 14 2013, 03:47 PM
joez   What he did wrong was the illegal activity (thef...   Mar 15 2013, 09:01 AM
Lindsay Richards   As far as people watching movies on the campground...   Mar 15 2013, 07:25 PM
pianotuna   Hi, Wifi in campgrounds is going to be hard press...   Mar 15 2013, 08:44 PM
docj   Wifi in campgrounds is going to be hard pressed. ...   Mar 16 2013, 11:35 AM
Lindsay Richards   Not sure if this is true for commercial bandwidth,...   Mar 16 2013, 08:23 AM
joez   For those interested, this article from RV Busines...   Mar 22 2013, 04:39 PM
docj   For those interested, this article from RV Busine...   Mar 22 2013, 07:36 PM
kcmoedoe   Re-reading the article a couple of times, I think...   Mar 23 2013, 03:00 PM
RVbailman   Re-reading the article a couple of times, I think...   Mar 23 2013, 03:06 PM
docj   I"ll have to research some more on the WI-FI...   Mar 23 2013, 07:40 PM
kcmoedoe   Even though you can only use the bandwidth you ha...   Mar 24 2013, 12:26 PM
docj   Many times it becomes a "can you hear me now...   Mar 24 2013, 08:49 PM
camping1158   I was talking to a campground owner and I think ca...   Apr 5 2013, 09:42 PM
JDOLLEN   I was talking to a campground owner and I think c...   Apr 6 2013, 09:50 AM
docj   Further, there are just too many other businesse...   Apr 6 2013, 11:01 AM
Dutch_12078   I can envision future scenarios in which CG owner...   Apr 6 2013, 03:26 PM
WrongWayRandall   I think the scenario you are painting is a bit of...   May 30 2013, 01:43 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com