Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Special License For Rv Drivers
fpullanosr
post May 5 2013, 06:42 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 42329

How do you feel about RV drivers being required to be tested and or schooled and issued a special license? Why do you feel that way?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
roygbell
post Jun 20 2013, 01:11 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 79755

QUOTE(fpullanosr @ May 5 2013, 07:42 AM) *

How do you feel about RV drivers being required to be tested and or schooled and issued a special license? Why do you feel that way?

You can't regulate common sense and the lack of common sense is the biggest issue I have with some of my fellow RVers. I am a 72 year old farm/ranch boy. I grew up driving trucks, pulling trailers and maintaining heavy equipment.

I never set out on the road without making sure my tire pressures are all where they need to be. I check my trailer brake system to ensure the brakes are in good order. I replace the tires and brake pads long before they need to be as riding on good tires and brakes are the biggest safety issues out there. I always gear down when driving in mountain ranges and never ride my brakes. I keep everything related to my vehicle and travel trailer in great condition.

Over the years, I have become appalled at the general lack of knowledge of such vehicle safety issues by RVers I run into in the parks etc.

There is nothing a license can do to fix the common sense issues of so many RVers who are on the road today simply lack.

The greatest safety hazards we face while traveling have to do with idiots who simply don't have a clue. We spend lots of time in places like Yellowstone NP. We just got home two days ago from 5 weeks in the park. When we entered YNP in early May, we were past the south entrance going down hill around a corner and here was a car stopped dead in the highway. I had to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting him. We were almost into Mammouth Springs, again going down hill and around a corner here was a man on a bicycle stopped with his bicycle sideways across our lane watching a buffalo on the other side of the road. Again I had to slam on the brakes and got stopped about 10 feet from him. He wouldn't move. I honked at him and he still wouldn't move and there I was parked in the highway hoping no one came up behind me and ran into my trailer. I rolled down the window and screamed at him to get out of the way as he was about to get someone killed. Finally he moved.

No license will cure that kind of stupidity.

On our last days in the park there was a man, his wife and 6 year old son in Mammouth at the visitor center. The couple took their son right up to a cow elk with a calf. The elk charged, the man and woman ran and their son got kicked by the cow elk.

My conclusion is that there is no cure for common sense. So, I would be for licensing people based on common sense, but without that then no it won't solve any problems.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
fpullanosr   Special License For Rv Drivers   May 5 2013, 06:42 AM
dalsgal   I have mixed feelings about it. It wouldn't h...   May 5 2013, 07:04 AM
fpullanosr   I have mixed feelings about it. It wouldn't ...   May 5 2013, 07:15 AM
Fitzjohnfan   FYI, if you drive a larger motor home, 26000lbs or...   May 5 2013, 08:13 AM
Ted Morgen   How do you feel about RV drivers being required t...   May 5 2013, 06:21 PM
fpullanosr   I don't feel we need any more licensing or te...   May 5 2013, 06:51 PM
joez   A special license for RV drivers, IMO, would not i...   May 5 2013, 07:27 PM
fpullanosr   A special license for RV drivers, IMO, would not ...   May 5 2013, 07:36 PM
RLM   FYI, if you drive a larger motor home, 26000lbs o...   May 6 2013, 09:07 PM
B. Kidd   Ditto what 'joez' said.   May 8 2013, 07:21 PM
Galli   How do you feel about RV drivers being required t...   May 12 2013, 04:03 PM
campergal   Hi there I feel that if you are towing something ...   May 13 2013, 03:02 PM
Lindsay Richards   I have been telling my wife that for years. She ...   May 13 2013, 09:45 PM
Pat and Jerry   How do you feel about RV drivers being required t...   May 16 2013, 07:56 PM
DXSMac   I think it's a good idea, and there should be ...   May 31 2013, 06:13 PM
Galli   I think it's a good idea, and there should be...   Jun 20 2013, 02:50 PM
roygbell   How do you feel about RV drivers being required t...   Jun 20 2013, 01:11 PM
EastPAcamper   It is like anything else in this world, if you lac...   Jun 20 2013, 04:02 PM
Galli   It is like anything else in this world, if you la...   Jun 21 2013, 08:45 AM
spartancaver   If bus drivers need their own license, I do not se...   Jun 22 2013, 04:57 AM
EastPAcamper   If bus drivers need their own license, I do not s...   Jun 22 2013, 07:34 AM
susseandchris   I am anticipating purchasing a fifth wheel and tru...   Aug 28 2013, 12:31 PM
Galli   I am anticipating purchasing a fifth wheel and tr...   Aug 28 2013, 01:17 PM
EastPAcamper   I am anticipating purchasing a fifth wheel and tr...   Sep 2 2013, 08:45 AM
Galli   There is some information in the form of video an...   Sep 2 2013, 09:39 AM
EastPAcamper   [b]EastPAcamper', you are talking like a prin...   Sep 15 2013, 10:29 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com