Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Route For Gunnison, Co
MelindaK
post May 12 2013, 11:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 37143

Thinking of heading to Gunnison, CO late August. Wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on the best route from Texas. I could go Interstate 25 to Hwy 50 or go further into New Mexico and go up 285 to Hwy 114. Colorado Hwy 50 and 114 both have a pass. Which road is better 50 or 114? I will be pulling a 30 ft TT.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
nedmtnman
post May 13 2013, 09:09 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

QUOTE(MelindaK @ May 12 2013, 10:58 PM) *

Thinking of heading to Gunnison, CO late August. Wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on the best route from Texas. I could go Interstate 25 to Hwy 50 or go further into New Mexico and go up 285 to Hwy 114. Colorado Hwy 50 and 114 both have a pass. Which road is better 50 or 114? I will be pulling a 30 ft TT.

I am sure you will get different answers. I have pulled a 38 foot fifth wheel through most of Colorado and lived there above 8000 feet for 23 years so there aren't any passes I can think of I wouldn't go over. 50 is a good road to Salida and that is as far as I have gone on 50. On 50 you can stop off in Canon City and see the Royal Gorge and there are a few other things there to do. Phantom Canyon drive up to Victor/Cripple Creek is a nice drive in the tow vehicle. So the opinion on which route to take will very depending the on the persons experience with mountains. I have seen posts on here about how terrifying a pass is that I don't think twice about going over but I am used to them. Being form Texas I can understand your concern. When I first moved to Colorado from Houston I was terrified of the passes but as I got used to them they weren't a problem.

--------------------
We are now off the road but this is what we fulltimed in.
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post
RLM
post May 13 2013, 06:40 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8584

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ May 13 2013, 10:09 AM) *

I am sure you will get different answers. I have pulled a 38 foot fifth wheel through most of Colorado and lived there above 8000 feet for 23 years...

For the last two years I work camped at a place in CO that was at almost 8000 feet. It was a chore to get the MH up there, but what a pleasure to be in the cool of that altitude during summer months and to have bear, elk, deer, and other wildlife in the 'front' yard. Colorado is a beautiful state. And that's from a die hard Texan. laugh.gif
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com