Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Route For Gunnison, Co
MelindaK
post May 12 2013, 11:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 37143

Thinking of heading to Gunnison, CO late August. Wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on the best route from Texas. I could go Interstate 25 to Hwy 50 or go further into New Mexico and go up 285 to Hwy 114. Colorado Hwy 50 and 114 both have a pass. Which road is better 50 or 114? I will be pulling a 30 ft TT.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Texasrvers
post May 13 2013, 12:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5452

We make our way up to Amarillo by one of several routes and then cut over to I-25 by going through Dumas, Dalhart, Clayton, and coming out at Raton, NM. This route takes you by the Capulin Volcano Natíl Monument which we hear is interesting, but we have never stopped.

We have driven Hwy 50 over Monarch Pass in a 37í motorhome with a tow car and had no trouble. We went all the way to Montrose, but after you get over the pass, I donít recall any other steep roads. If you think you can do this, I highly recommend the scenery. It is spectacular, and I agree with nedmtnman about the things to see. Besides seeing the Royal Gorge from the top, we also took the train ride through it. Great trip! We also drove up to Cripple Creek. Once you get to Gunnison, Black Canyon of the Gunnison is unbelievable. We saw it from the south side, but we hear the north side is just as scenic.

We have not taken Hwy the 285/114 route, so I canít compare. Sounds like a great trip whichever way you go.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com