Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Route For Gunnison, Co
MelindaK
post May 12 2013, 11:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 37143

Thinking of heading to Gunnison, CO late August. Wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on the best route from Texas. I could go Interstate 25 to Hwy 50 or go further into New Mexico and go up 285 to Hwy 114. Colorado Hwy 50 and 114 both have a pass. Which road is better 50 or 114? I will be pulling a 30 ft TT.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Ted Morgen
post May 14 2013, 09:13 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 21292

QUOTE(MelindaK @ May 12 2013, 11:58 PM) *

Thinking of heading to Gunnison, CO late August. Wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on the best route from Texas. I could go Interstate 25 to Hwy 50 or go further into New Mexico and go up 285 to Hwy 114. Colorado Hwy 50 and 114 both have a pass. Which road is better 50 or 114? I will be pulling a 30 ft TT.

You are traveling in a good time of year but remember the saying that snow is available anytime in Colorado before and after July 4th. Keep a close watch on your weather and remember that if it turns, hunker down till it passes, Colorado weather changes rapidly. I would have chains with me. I lived in Colorado for 34 years and have been across most of the mountian roads. Your choices will provide you a beautiful ride. I probably like highway 50 most but you will have to deal with Monarch Pass there, 11,300 feet. Going up 114 is a little less stressful with North pass at 10,100 feet. The extra thousand feel might not sound that much but that will depend on what you are pulling your rig with. I have a 27' light weight and pulled it with a Dodge Dakota and their 4.7 liter V8. I never had a problem. Go slow and watch for overheating. If you get too hot, stop long before it boils over, let it cool down and enjoy the scenery. If you decide on highway 50, consider a stop at Royal Gorge. You will see a tourist stop with a train ride that is one of more more excellent rides you'll ever take. If you go the other way, and you pass through Antonito, consider the train and bus ride into New Mexico and back. Colorado is a beautiful state. I miss home. We still visit our children in Loveland. Happy traveling.

QUOTE(Ted Morgen @ May 14 2013, 09:11 AM) *

You are traveling in a good time of year but remember the saying that snow is available anytime in Colorado before and after July 4th. Keep a close watch on your weather and remember that if it turns, hunker down till it passes, Colorado weather changes rapidly. I would have chains with me. I live in Colorado for 34 years and have been across most of the mountian roads. Your choices will provide you a beautiful ride. I probably like highway 50 most but you will have to deal with Monarch Pass there, 11,300 feet. Going up 114 is a little less stressful with North pass at 10,100 feet. The extra thousand feel might not sound that much but that will depend on what you are pulling your rig with. I have a 27' light weight and pulled it with a Dodge Dakota and their 4.7 liter V8. I never had a problem. Go slow and watch for overheating. If you get too hot, stop long before it boils over, let it cool down and enjoy the scenery. If you decide on highway 50, consider a stop at Royal Gorge. You will see a tourist stop with a train ride that is one of more more excellent rides you'll ever take. If you go the other way, and you pass through Antonito, consider the train and bus ride into New Mexico and back. Colorado is a beautiful state. I miss home. We still visit our children in Loveland. Happy traveling.
+Quote Post
nedmtnman
post May 15 2013, 09:12 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26175

QUOTE(Ted Morgen @ May 14 2013, 08:13 AM) *

You are traveling in a good time of year but remember the saying that snow is available anytime in Colorado before and after July 4th.

I have seen snow on the 4th. As we used to say there's winter and the 4th of Julhy and don't count on the 4th.

--------------------
We are now off the road but this is what we fulltimed in.
2003 Ford F-350
2003 Keystone Everest 343L
Bill and Bob guard cats.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com