RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Wifi Security Misunderstandings / Online Banking, Online Banking why park WiFi security doesn't matter to you.
Webmaster
post May 14 2013, 12:41 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I was just approving a review where the reviewer talked about the park WiFi being secure and allowing them to do online banking.

I am not sure what they considered secure about the park's WiFi, I would only guess that the park required a username / password for them to connect. This requirement provides you with no additional security, it ONLY helps to limit who can connect to the internet using the park's WiFi.

You can do your online banking using ANY internet connection as long as your bank provides a secure website noted with a lock in your browser and an https:// url. This lock indicates that all the data passed from your browser to the banks website is encrypted and secure. I doubt you can find a bank website that isn't a secure site. I am pretty sure that a secure web site is a basic FDIC requirement for banks today providing any online access.

--------------------
Webmaster
RV Park Reviews
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Fitzjohnfan
post May 15 2013, 11:42 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41655

Actually, wi-fi is not very secure either, even if you go to secure sites. Our local news just had a story about how crooks fan set up a "free WiFi" site in a public place, like an airport or McDonald's, wait for people to log in, then capture their personal info. One thing they mentioned, was to make sure folders and file on your device are not set to"share". Many people have sharing turned on to allow other people to view photos and music, but this opons your pc up to hackers.

--------------------
Chris G.
Westminster, CO
FMCA: F3508-S
1989 32' Southwind MH
+Quote Post
docj
post May 16 2013, 12:04 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 45503

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ May 16 2013, 01:42 AM) *

Actually, wi-fi is not very secure either, even if you go to secure sites. Our local news just had a story about how crooks fan set up a "free WiFi" site in a public place, like an airport or McDonald's, wait for people to log in, then capture their personal info. One thing they mentioned, was to make sure folders and file on your device are not set to"share". Many people have sharing turned on to allow other people to view photos and music, but this opons your pc up to hackers.

When you use a public wifi it's important to know that the one you are connecting to is the "real" one provided by the CG or Starbucks or McD's. The incidents reported in the news stories are cases where crooks set up wifi networks and the people using them don't bother to check to see if it is the real one or not. If you're foolish enough to do this then you're setting yourself up for disaster.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com