RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Camping In Quebec City/montreal, Language problems in Canada
Ted Morgen
post May 21 2013, 09:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21292

I would appreciate hearing from people who have recently traveled to Canada. I've heard so much about Quebec City that I wanted to camp there in our travel trailer and see the city, however when I looked up the only campground in the city there was a comment that we should not go if we are English speaking only. One needs to speak French. I did not see any warnings about Montreal. Advice on this issue would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ted Morgen in Palm Bay, Florida
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
TAB_16
post May 21 2013, 09:48 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 78818

Hi

I think I could add a little light on this situation. I'm from Nova Scotia and my wife is from Trois Rivieres (1/2 way between Montreal and Quebec City). We travel across Canada to "home" every couple of years in our TT [a 2400 mile 1 way trip] (have had many). Just to let you know - I speak about 6 word sof french and my wife understands a little but speaks little more than I, we have NEVER been unable to make ourselves understood or been unable to communicate in Quebec (the Province) or Montreal or Quebec City or anywhere.

Quebec'ers ~ 80% speak English (just an estimate), some are hard headed and will let you struggle a little - but so what - it's an adventure and your visiting their culture.

Have not stayed in Montreal as it's a fuel stoop on the way we are going. Be aware its a crazy large metropolis posted limit on the overpasses is 70 kph (~ 40 mph) but FEW obey it, I did because without a GPS you will be lost - even with a GPS take it slow cause theirs lots of on/off ramps to navigate - also don't go through the tunnel (name escapes me ... maybe Laval) - no propane AT ALL allowed.

Camping near QC (Quebec City) is beautiful many campgrounds on the St Lawrence Seaway - they can be small and difficult to navigate around if you have a BIG rig.Best to book ahead - because our last trip east (last year), we started looking for a campground a ~ 430 pm and did't find one with a spot until 1030 pm. The french seem to use their campgrounds as there CABIN in the woods with lots of seasonal campers.

Anyway any further I can add just ask

TAB_16
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com