RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Camping In Quebec City/montreal, Language problems in Canada
Ted Morgen
post May 21 2013, 09:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21292

I would appreciate hearing from people who have recently traveled to Canada. I've heard so much about Quebec City that I wanted to camp there in our travel trailer and see the city, however when I looked up the only campground in the city there was a comment that we should not go if we are English speaking only. One needs to speak French. I did not see any warnings about Montreal. Advice on this issue would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ted Morgen in Palm Bay, Florida
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
docj
post May 21 2013, 11:09 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 45503

We spent a couple of weeks in French-speaking Canada a few years ago and had a great time. With respect to the issue of how people treated us, our best example was in a small cafe on the Gaspe Peninsula. After we successfully placed our lunch order with a French-speaking owner/waiter, a young, bilingual couple (the only other people in the restaurant) from Montreal told us that they were prepared to "step in and provide assistance" if we had needed it! laugh.gif

I used to travel extensively all over the world and found that I could do quite well by knowing how to say "please" and "thank you" in the languages of the places that I visited even if I didn't know how to say anything else. I found I could elicit a smile from most people simply by making this small effort. I don't think the people of French-speaking Canada are any different.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com