RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 10% Grade On Rte 22 Into Jackson Hole Wy, How bad is it? Towing a 5th be a problem?
jmcf46
post Jul 11 2013, 11:21 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 59128

Have to go to Jackson Hole Wy. I was going to take Rte 22 through the Teton Pass but people warned me about the 10% grade. Will it be a problem pulling a 5th with a gas pickup?
I fear burning out the brakes Etc. I burned the brakes coming out of Los Angeles on a long 7%.
After redoing the rotors and pads and changing the brake fluid, the mechanic said to use your lower gears and tap the brakes lightly. Just don't relish the idea of no brakes coming down a mountain pass. Next truck will be a diesel with compression braking.

Jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
John S.
post Jul 13 2013, 08:00 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 207

Driving in he mountains is a skill set. I do it all the time. You need to watch your temps on the way up and down shift and take your foot out of it if youare getting too hot. On the down hill, you need to gear down. I have been on roads with the speed limit as low as 35 for trucks but the safe speed was 15. Gear down and stab your brakes.

--------------------
John S.
2001 Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree
Jeep Wrangler Toad
+Quote Post
BC Wanderer
post Jul 14 2013, 08:38 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16768

QUOTE(John S. @ Jul 13 2013, 07:00 AM) *

Driving in he mountains is a skill set. I do it all the time. You need to watch your temps on the way up and down shift and take your foot out of it if youare getting too hot. On the down hill, you need to gear down. I have been on roads with the speed limit as low as 35 for trucks but the safe speed was 15. Gear down and stab your brakes.

I agree with John. Don't over tax your drive train on the way up and the same with your braking system on the way down. Take your time and use your brakes sparingly. You have far more control of the vehicle when you are using your engine and gears for braking.

Darrell
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com