RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bandwidth Hogs, Downloading Movies on RV Park WiFi systems
Tom S.
post Aug 7 2013, 05:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderated
Member No.: 20168

My biggest peeve is what I call Bandwidth HOGS.

Back home you get 55 gadzillion GB's of bandwidth that allows you to download movies from the various internet movie providers. While in your RV you make use of this wonderful service even though it denigrates WiFi service to those of use that just want to read emails and pay bills or book another RV park in our next city. I wish there was a way to prevent these bandwidth HOGS from consuming what little access we get in the RV parks.

I believe that many of the negative comments about poor WIFI in RV Parks recently have been as a result of campers chewing up bandwidth. I note that service always seems to decay around the time of dinner until 11 PM at night (Prime movie watching time).

I hope there is a special place in Hell for these Bandwidth HOGS mad.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
EastPAcamper
post Sep 2 2013, 08:52 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7292

QUOTE(Tom S. @ Aug 7 2013, 07:41 PM) *

My biggest peeve is what I call Bandwidth HOGS.

Back home you get 55 gadzillion GB's of bandwidth that allows you to download movies from the various internet movie providers. While in your RV you make use of this wonderful service even though it denigrates WiFi service to those of use that just want to read emails and pay bills or book another RV park in our next city. I wish there was a way to prevent these bandwidth HOGS from consuming what little access we get in the RV parks.

I believe that many of the negative comments about poor WIFI in RV Parks recently have been as a result of campers chewing up bandwidth. I note that service always seems to decay around the time of dinner until 11 PM at night (Prime movie watching time).

I hope there is a special place in Hell for these Bandwidth HOGS mad.gif

Thats why I buy all my movies, I never downloaded a movie from the web in my life. You can go to Wally-world and buy a movie for $5.00, and some stores you can get them for less.
+Quote Post
docj
post Sep 2 2013, 10:11 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

QUOTE(EastPAcamper @ Sep 2 2013, 10:52 AM) *

Thats why I buy all my movies, I never downloaded a movie from the web in my life. You can go to Wally-world and buy a movie for $5.00, and some stores you can get them for less.

You may not be aware of it, but streaming video is used for a lot more these days than just old movies. There are now a number of "made for Netlix" original series as well as foreign TV series not readily available in other forms. In addition, you can watch full episodes of quite a few TV series online if you didn't see them when first aired or if you forgot to set your DVR to record them. You may be happy with the movies you can buy at Walmart, some of us are not.

Many people believe that it won't be all that many years before virtually all video content will primarily be obtain by "streaming on demand". So this problem is going to get worse not better.

However, we never use campground wifi to stream video simply because it rarely is robust enough to do it. We have a 4G Verizon connection and an unlimited data plan and use it. Even if we didn't have an unlimited plan, the cost of using data for streaming isn't really all that bad. For example, Netflix permits you to control your data rate and many TV series aren't available in more than SD anyway. At that resolution the data usage is ~1 GB/2 hours. If your data plan charges $10/GB over your allowance, that means a movie would cost ~$10 which isn't all that much more than a pay-per-view costs on DirecTV or what it costs for the gas to drive to the nearest RedBox and rent a movie and return it.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
EastPAcamper
post Sep 15 2013, 10:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7292

QUOTE(docj @ Sep 2 2013, 12:11 PM) *

You may not be aware of it, but streaming video is used for a lot more these days than just old movies. There are now a number of "made for Netlix" original series as well as foreign TV series not readily available in other forms. In addition, you can watch full episodes of quite a few TV series online if you didn't see them when first aired or if you forgot to set your DVR to record them. You may be happy with the movies you can buy at Walmart, some of us are not.

Many people believe that it won't be all that many years before virtually all video content will primarily be obtain by "streaming on demand". So this problem is going to get worse not better.

However, we never use campground wifi to stream video simply because it rarely is robust enough to do it. We have a 4G Verizon connection and an unlimited data plan and use it. Even if we didn't have an unlimited plan, the cost of using data for streaming isn't really all that bad. For example, Netflix permits you to control your data rate and many TV series aren't available in more than SD anyway. At that resolution the data usage is ~1 GB/2 hours. If your data plan charges $10/GB over your allowance, that means a movie would cost ~$10 which isn't all that much more than a pay-per-view costs on DirecTV or what it costs for the gas to drive to the nearest RedBox and rent a movie and return it.

Good point, I guess I am not the type that "must see TV" when camping, usually I am busy enjoying the outdoors or the sights during the day, and by night, let's face it, I'm beat laugh.gif
I guess the wife is right, I am old and crotchety laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com