RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pros & Cons To Motorhome Manufacturers, Suggestions on Motorhomes
CurleyJo
post Sep 12 2013, 10:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 65471

We are researching which type of Motorhome to buy and I am not having much luck finding out the ratings associated with each manufacturer or brand. So far we are looking at brands that have been suggested by other RVers. We currently live in our 25R Arctic Fox travel trailer 9 - 10 months of the year.

My husband's main concern is the engine and running gear. We want definitely want a diesel pusher between 38' to 40' between 2005 and 2010. What do you have, like and dislike and why? Would you buy it again?

Can anyone give us tips, suggestions, web sites, pros or cons to the various rigs? We would greatly appreciate any information that you can pass along. biggrin.gif

Thank you in advance!

Teresa & Mike

--------------------
Teresa & Mike Owen
Jo (Black Lab) & Rocky (Airedale)
Arctic Fox Travel Trailer
2011 Red Silverado
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Denali
post Sep 13 2013, 11:41 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2163

Since you are looking for reviews by motorhome owners, you will probably only find glowingly favorable reviews. I know that the motorhome that we have been living in for the last nine years is the perfect coach, as was the one we lived in before that. <g>

The Consumer RV Group is a for-profit operation that rates RVs based on manufacturers' specifications and consumer surveys, but I suspect that the consumer surveys play a very minor role in their ratings. Take a look at their site for an explanation of how they arrive at their ratings, then decide whether it is worth paying for them. I thought it was when we were shopping for a fiver when we started full-timing.

If we were in the market for another diesel pusher we would start with Winnebago and Newmar, largely because they survived the big shakeout that occurred a few years back. I would like to believe that my coach manufacturer will be around in the future.

Personally, I would avoid a coach with an Aqua-Hot heating system, although I am in the minority there. The system is expensive, produces diesel exhaust smell, and prone to very expensive failures.

We really like the air leveling in our rig. It is also important to us to have the bedroom, bathroom, and living/dining room separate from each other, since we usually get up at different times.

I don't think that the running gear is likely to be a differentiator between manufacturers of diesel pushers. They all seem to use Cummins or Cat engines, with Allison transmissions. An engine that requires ULSD fuel can be a problem if you travel to Mexico, and one that requires DEF is something of a nuisance since the DEF filling port on motorhomes is on the wrong side at truck stops.

There are various chassis used, and the owners of each will tell you that theirs is far superior to the competitions'. I know ours is, but it's not made any more. <g>

One thing to watch for with a used coach is the age of the tires. A new set can run $3,000-$5,000.

Some people believe that you need a pure sine wave inverter, but we have been living with modified sine wave inverters for 11 years now. We have run every piece of electronics, kitchen appliance, etc. from our MSW inverters with no problem. I have read than some residential fridges require a PWS inverter, so that's a concern if you buy a coach with a RV fridge and a MSW inverter and later want to switch to a residential fridge.

Good luck on your search. It's a buyer's market out there right now, so you can get a real deal on a high quality coach.

--------------------
Dave Rudisill
Fulltimer since 2002
2004 Beaver Monterey
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com