RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pros & Cons To Motorhome Manufacturers, Suggestions on Motorhomes
CurleyJo
post Sep 12 2013, 10:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 65471

We are researching which type of Motorhome to buy and I am not having much luck finding out the ratings associated with each manufacturer or brand. So far we are looking at brands that have been suggested by other RVers. We currently live in our 25R Arctic Fox travel trailer 9 - 10 months of the year.

My husband's main concern is the engine and running gear. We want definitely want a diesel pusher between 38' to 40' between 2005 and 2010. What do you have, like and dislike and why? Would you buy it again?

Can anyone give us tips, suggestions, web sites, pros or cons to the various rigs? We would greatly appreciate any information that you can pass along. biggrin.gif

Thank you in advance!

Teresa & Mike

--------------------
Teresa & Mike Owen
Jo (Black Lab) & Rocky (Airedale)
Arctic Fox Travel Trailer
2011 Red Silverado
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
docj
post Sep 24 2013, 07:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

Without insulting any Winnebago owners on this forum, I seriously doubt that even the company would contend that its products were intended to compete in the "high end" MH market. Winnebago products are excellent values, but the company has never directly competed in the luxury portion of the market.

Since we don't know what other MH's this particular person had owned, it's impossible to know what he was comparing his Winnebago to. There are plenty of MH's out there of lesser quality.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post
BC Wanderer
post Sep 26 2013, 08:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16768

QUOTE(docj @ Sep 24 2013, 06:25 PM) *

Without insulting any Winnebago owners on this forum, I seriously doubt that even the company would contend that its products were intended to compete in the "high end" MH market. Winnebago products are excellent values, but the company has never directly competed in the luxury portion of the market.

Since we don't know what other MH's this particular person had owned, it's impossible to know what he was comparing his Winnebago to. There are plenty of MH's out there of lesser quality.

Hello Docj,

I own a Winnebago but am not insulted that you don't feel that they are building for the Luxury Market. ( I have a Vista. It's a gas pot "entry level" Class A. We bought it because we like what it had to offer.) We did check out some of the bigger units though, just to be nosy. I'm not sure what you consider the "Luxury" market but check this out. http://www.gowinnebago.com/products/2014/tour/ While not in the league of a Prevost, still up there in my opinion. Before making our choice, we too, narrowed our search to three manufacturers. Winnebago, Newmar and Thor. All of these manufacturers build coaches that fit our needs and have been around for a while (except Thor). Going back to the O P, The writer did not specify a Luxury Coach. I think they were more concerned with quality and the good or bad people have discovered about their units. For what it's worth, so far the only thing I don't like about our choice is the local dealer.

Darrell
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
docj
post Sep 27 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 45503

QUOTE(JDOLLEN @ Sep 26 2013, 10:33 PM) *

I'm not sure what you consider the "Luxury" market but check this out. http://www.gowinnebago.com/products/2014/tour/ While not in the league of a Prevost, still up there in my opinion.

The Winnebago Tour is a 44,000 lb-class MH built on a rear-radiator Freightliner chassis, powered by a Cummins ISL with an Allison 3000 transmission. That's a good, solid, dependable vehicle but IMHO it's not in the same league as a Newmar Essex or an Entegra Cornerstone powered by a Cummins ISX with an Allison 4000 (or my own CAT C-12 with an Allison 4000).

The drivetrain is the place where most MH manufacturers save money. For example, most of the Thor MH's use the Cummins ISB engine, the smallest in the Cummins lineup. Big diesels cost money but provide unmatched performance.

--------------------
Joel Weiss
2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder--Cat C12
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L toad
WiFi Ranger Ambassador
RVParkReviews.com Administrator
Share our adventures at: Weiss Travels
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com