RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Route 66 Travels, Suggestions
EastPAcamper
post Sep 15 2013, 09:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7292

Thinking about going west, would love to drive the historic Route 66 from Chicago to Vegas area. My question is, has anyone done this??? Are there sections of the "old historic route 66" that are not worth getting off the main highway?? How much time do I need to allow myself for travel?? What stops are a definite MUST SEE?? Please share any stories, good and bad......Trying to figure what kind of time would be needed to make this journey and still see at least some of the sites.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jerry S.
post Sep 16 2013, 09:50 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10441

I don't know how much help I will be with your questions because your post raised several questions in my mind. The first is: When are you taking this trip? If it is not in the next couple months, I'm not sure you want to be traveling through PA, OH, IN, IL, and MO once December rolls around. Not only is weather a potential issue, but RV park availability is questionable after November in those states. If your plan is for next spring, no problem. Secondly, the way you worded your question about "sections of ...66", I am not sure you realize that there are only small sections of the original road left. Most of your trip will be on I55 in IL, I44 in MO and OK, I40 in OK, TX, NM, AZ, CA, and finally I15 and I10 to Santa Monica (I think that is the western terminus of the original Route 66).

Although I haven't done the CA portion in over 10 years, I did the entire Flagstaff, AZ to Chicago portion less than 2 years ago. I would allow a minimum of 10 days go the 2,000 + miles from Chicago to LA. 20 days would be even better if you really want to stop and see Route 66 stuff every day or so. There are dozens of towns (along with some major cities) along this route which have attractions (whether Route 66 related or not) that are worth seeing. Then there are the potential side trips (Santa Fe, the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas) that can each add at least a couple days to the trip. Are we at 30 days for the trip yet?

As you can see, you need to figure out how much time you can spend on this trip and then determine what you want to see.

Good luck with your planning and have fun.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com