RV Park Reviews

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Route 66 Travels, Suggestions
EastPAcamper
post Sep 15 2013, 09:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7292

Thinking about going west, would love to drive the historic Route 66 from Chicago to Vegas area. My question is, has anyone done this??? Are there sections of the "old historic route 66" that are not worth getting off the main highway?? How much time do I need to allow myself for travel?? What stops are a definite MUST SEE?? Please share any stories, good and bad......Trying to figure what kind of time would be needed to make this journey and still see at least some of the sites.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jerry S
post Sep 17 2013, 08:40 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10441

Bob,

Thanks for the correction. I have been led to believe in recent (maybe 10) years that most of the original Route 66 no longer exists. Now that I think about it, I have seen a few stories about how they have "re-designated" some of the local roads that sort of paralleled the interstates that replaced 66 as "Historic 66". I really thought that all that remained of the original road was the occasional few mile stretch of road here and there that went through towns that the interstate has a bypass around. The main road through Tucumcari, NM is an example.

I made the mistake I often criticize - I didn't do my research. Although, after looking at on old map of Route 66 that I have, I don't see Route 66 going through KS except right where southwestern MO and southeastern KS meet.

I'll check the sites you referenced later.

Jerry S.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
RVParkReviews.com